• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) What Are You Wearing Now/Today? Part II - pictures only - no discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

datasupa

Reaction score
If you want to talk shirt, please take it to the shirt talking thread.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You wanna talk shirt, I'll give you some shirt! X posted from the Kent Wang Thick as Thieves OCBD shirt thread: I just received my sz 15 purple stripe and it is a killer shirt. The materials, workmanship, cut, etc. are all excellent. Thank you Kent, and well done!!! I must say though, it is a reeeaallly skinny 15, probably too much so for me as you can see below. So, I'm either gonna cut down about 5 pounds for the summer and see if it still works, or else flip it to a lucky forumite who missed out.
dscf0260va5.jpg
KWxTAT TAT BB

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
The shirt takes it into what Fok calls The German Businessman silhouette.
Well, that may have as much to do with my, ahem, "build" in spite of an almost daily gym routine.. So what would you recommend as an option for a guy my age and "build"?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see an obvious gut hanging out of that shirt - it just looks too big. Perhaps have it tailored or try a slimmer cut, while maintaining the same size.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Well, that may have as much to do with my, ahem, "build" in spite of an almost daily gym routine.. So what would you recommend as an option for a guy my age and "build"?
Personally, I'd untuck. With jeans that aggressively casual, a tucked-in button-front shirt just strikes me as odd, and enhances the "German Businessman" feel. Alternately, a more casual shirt that is more fitted might work when tucked. In any case, tucked or untucked, the shirt looks at least a full size too large, IMO--the shoulders are only a little large, but the arms, chest, and body are all huge.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd also suggest moving away from the hyper-distressed look for denim. There's nothing wrong with wearing a lighter washed pair of jeans, but the tears and stains on the pair you are wearing are a bit much for anyone and especially so for someone in his 50's.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, these are interesting comments. I guess I am just used to the cut and look of an old school traditional BD shirt. They tend to be loose and boxy. But I appreciate that many of the guys here are approaching it from a more modern perspective that requires a fitted shirt. I will try that next next time I wear these jeans.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
I'd also suggest moving away from the hyper-distressed look for denim. There's nothing wrong with wearing a lighter washed pair of jeans, but the tears and stains on the pair you are wearing are a bit much for anyone and especially so for someone in his 50's.

I have an extensive denim collection. And I wear darker denim on a regular basis. (although I have enjoyed pulling out some old, lighter, faded 501's recently. I sometimes like a lighter washed look in the spring and summer). I only wear these once every two months or so. I like these jeans for something different and I think adding something with a lot of character to the mix is fun regardless of age. I think it has a lot to do with your overall attitude and enjoying it. I guess it also reflects my personality and personal style to risk wearing hyper-distressed denim. It is actually fun to try and pull it off.

With these jeans, in particular, I know that people either love them or hate them on me. I thought it would be fun to hear the reaction on SF. So thanks again for the feedback.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I am just used to the cut and look of an old school traditional BD shirt. They tend to be loose and boxy.

As you said and it looks good. I have some of this "old school" items and I love them as they are. Frayed and everything.

But, I think you have nicer shoes to pair with. What's about a brown chelsea? This would be my choice.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
jul1.jpg

My OCD nature forces me not to like this. Those pants bother me. Otherwise, I like it.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I have no problem with the dress shirt and jeans thing as a rule, but as I see it there are several problems with the above.
1. The fit, as mentioned.
2. The tucked in thing, which again I have no objection to if it's a fitted shirt, and the jeans are of the dressier variety, which here they are not, and
3. the biggest problem: the shirt just clashes with the jeans. I don't think you can wear a dress shirt (particularly not an immaculate, white dress shirt) with jeans that heavily distressed. It just doesn't make sense to me. They'd look at home with a beat-up band tee, but right now something's out of place.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
PSG--

I tend to disagree with some of these guys about the shirt. I actually think it's fine, but doesn't go well with those jeans. As some people said already- the distressed preppy shirt with the distressed jeans...something just isn't exactly working there.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
the shirt just clashes with the jeans. I don't think you can wear a dress shirt (particularly not an immaculate, white dress shirt) with jeans that heavily distressed.

FWIW, the shirt is heavily frayed but that doesn't come across in the pics due to it being a reflection in a mirror. But I get your point.

I probably, more often than not, wear these with a vintage chambray work shirt.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I probably, more often than not, wear these with a vintage chambray work shirt.

That would definitely work better, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads