(Old) The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jekyll, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

I wish I could achieve ledger gothninja/grimreaper status...one day [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure by that point it will be played the fuck out. Oh wait, it already is.

2. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Honestly it's sort of hard to picture carrying on a conversation in real life with someone who looks like that.

3. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

I know, shit cracks me up. This struck me one time when I was in a grocery store and some dude with hella tite pants, those homo ear stretcher things, tons of tats, and various goth/punk accoutrements etc. was comparing prices on hand soap. LOL.

Dressing in costume outside of a handful of neighborhoods in NY, LA, LDN, Paris, Tokyo (or, arguably, anywhere) = hella stoops.

4. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I'm pretty sure by that point it will be played the fuck out. Oh wait, it already is.
    ahh but dressing like a railroad worker from the 40s isn't? Clothing is always costume. Wear it with confidence and swagger, wear it cleanly and well matched and that is that.

5. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

People have been doing that for about 70 years. People have been dressing gothninja (the current wave, Belgian-style) for about a year and a half; many of those same people bought their gothninja wear by mortgaging their collections of Nudies and SBs. There's nothing wrong with occasionally going all black, mixing drapey and tite, throwing on a scarf and some distressed boots, etc. When it's all you fucking wear, you are pretty much no different than the BAPE-heads we all laughed at five years ago.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

When it's all you fucking wear, you are pretty much no different than the BAPE-heads we all laughed at five years ago.

I have more tolerance for styles that I'm not partial towards when it IS all they wear. Dressing preppy one day, gothninja the next, fashion-runway boy the day after....that's when it all seems more contrived and costumey.

7. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Dunno, maybe I'm just schizo like that. I agree you should keep it within certain bounds - I don't mean ledger should dress trad on his off day.

I meant what I wrote, but mostly it's just a provocative discussion topic.

8. whacked

whacked Senior member

People have been doing that for about 70 years.

+1. What people here call "workwear", or at least certain elements of it, are still worn on a daily basis by normal people in many parts of the country. Selling to actual workers, not fashionistas, is the bread and butter of brands like Red Wing and Woolrich.

Plus, there're different approaches to "workwear". No one will mistake JO3B for 40s railroad worker for example. A railroad owner on vacation, may be. [​IMG]

9. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Also: I was sort of taking a gratuitous swipe at gofninjaz, but as further response to Magician's question, I feel like there is a qualitative difference between workwear and frooty fashunz. The former is acceptable a wide variety of places: punk/hipster bars, corny clubs, hip hop shows, truck stops in the sticks (even if they can tell you're a college boy from a mile away), the mall, Sartorialist, etc. The latter gets you laughed at/puts you in danger of getting your ass kicked in many settings. That's not necessarily a reason not to wear it, but it does put it in a different category imo.

10. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

+1. What people here call "workwear", or at least certain elements of it, are still worn on a daily basis by normal people in many parts of the country. Selling to actual workers, not fashionistas, is the bread and butter of brands like Red Wing and Woolrich.

Oh yeah, this too.

11. kiya

kiya Brand Representative Affiliate Vendor

Waiting...

[​IMG]

Iron Heart Heavy Chambray
    Mister Freedom Shore Jacket
    RJB 106BSP
    Visvim

12. howardu09

howardu09 Senior member

^^^Very well coordinated.. Really feelin' the jacket amd sneakers

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

I know, shit cracks me up. This struck me one time when I was in a grocery store and some dude with hella tite pants, those homo ear stretcher things, tons of tats, and various goth/punk accoutrements etc. was comparing prices on hand soap. LOL.

Dressing in costume outside of a handful of neighborhoods in NY, LA, LDN, Paris, Tokyo (or, arguably, anywhere) = hella stoops.

+1

14. Marmot

Marmot Active Member

Waiting...

[​IMG]

Iron Heart Heavy Chambray
    Mister Freedom Shore Jacket
    RJB 106BSP
    Visvim

What kind of material is the jacket? It looks like denim, and is that a denim hood...? I hope I'm not assuming too much, but that would be a really interesting (rad) jacket if so, not that it isn't if it were something else.

[​IMG]

15. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.