(Old) The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jekyll, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Cherry

Black Cherry Senior member

Associations are bullshit and just excuse the ignorant. Unless they're adorned with obviously hate-based symbology (swastikas, etc) it's pretty folly to assume things about a person based on clothes or a haircut. That said there is a certain appeal to the "taking it back" aspect of wearing clothes that have been unfairly demonized. I'd like to think that my strength of character matters for something, and I enjoy informing people about the jamaican influence when they assume I'm into curb-stomping because of a movie they saw. [​IMG]

Black Cherry, keep the piping hot bowls of subculture goodness flowing.

Will do.

I think it's important to have variety in styles here. There's nothing to be learned if the workwear guys all went to a workwear centric board, or if anyone who wears Fred Perry just stuck to the modculture forums.

2. Razele

Razele Senior member

I think it's important to have variety in styles here. There's nothing to be learned if the workwear guys all went to a workwear centric board, or if anyone who wears Fred Perry just stuck to the modculture forums.

What makes this board strong is the diversity in the aesthetics of its posters.

Let us not become lemmings.

3. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

New hat/shoes, not sure how much I like them yet.

[​IMG]

I dig the boat shoes, good buy IMO.

girlfriend steals the spotlight
    [​IMG]

Great, not just the fits but the pictures. It looks you had a great time. I've said it before but smiling is the key to next level steez. very cute couple BTW

me...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    50's coke glass with coke,grenadine (should have gotten the maraschino cherries also) and crushed iced and one drop of unicorn blood from the last unicorn ... delicious!
    and my 'uniform' as of late...
    fink
    kmw
    converse

4. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Not sure about the fit. I wear regular BoO small. Love the color though..and the price. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

Sorry Teger, I think your a top bloke, but this isn't right. I feel this same way, when I see a black man and a white woman. I know he won't rape her, but I just feel uncomfortable. Seeing a skinhead and immediatly thinking that they have a disgusting and abhorrent ideology and that the two aren't seperate is like seeing black guy in wutang and thinking about crossing the street. These views are damaging to people and plain unfair. Research has shown that people find it difficult for thier children to be taught by a male teacher - people think male teacher = paedophile. Until recently, people though that gay male = peodophile. These stereotypes, just like thinking that skinhead = nazi damage people in a big way. Just look at what Jason has done for this board. Saying his style conveys disgust and is abhorent is really not fair for one of the nicest dudes rocking this place - and making fantastic, well cut suits available to people at a really, really good price. Fair enough point. I can understand people not liking the look, but people should atleast be respectful. Judge people on who they are not what they look like.
    I just don't think you can separate the skinhead fashion from what the culture has become, and, sadly, in america it's a culture of racism/white nationalism. I don't see black cherry and go 'WHAT A RACIST SKINHEAD', same with get smart.

7. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

8. VolsVolsVols

VolsVolsVols Senior member

Boat shoes aren't trendy?

Tell me this in two years. When there aren't a million threads over Quoddy or new Topsider colours.

BoO / Boat shoes / undersized everything is not going to last - just like everything else in fashion. How is it any different? Do you really think that objectively, BoO + Boat shoes has anymore staying power then graphic t's or goth ninja?

Ben Sherman / Fred Perry / Barracuta

Your kidding yourself to think that the mod / skinhead look isn't time tested. Remind me when your wearing slim fitted gingham or check shirts that you think that it's not time tested.

This is a problem here that many people have aleady spoken about. It stops quality posters posting good fits - unless it is what everyone else is already wearing.

Black Cherry, keep the piping hot bowls of subculture goodness flowing.

I think you misunderstood me in some areas (more accurately, you misread my entire post). I never said that boat shoes aren't trendy, but rather that they aren't exclusively trendy. Trust me, I pray for the day that this trend passes the fashionistas by, but rest assured that Top Siders will always have a place in Nantucket/MV/Southern Connecticut/the SEC and ACC. Additionally, I never said that the skinhead look isn't time tested. I'm well aware of the cultural significance behind the look... that being said, I still maintain that it isn't a good look.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

not if you think of skins as OI OI OI !

yea dude, but thats not what skins in america are today, which is my whole point. the aesthetic choices got coopted..

10. Kregg

Kregg Senior member

Sorry Teger,

I think your a top bloke, but this isn't right.

I feel this same way, when I see a black man and a white woman. I know he won't rape her, but I just feel uncomfortable.

Seeing a skinhead and immediatly thinking that they have a disgusting and abhorrent ideology and that the two aren't seperate is like seeing black guy in wutang and thinking about crossing the street. These views are damaging to people and plain unfair. Research has shown that people find it difficult for thier children to be taught by a male teacher - people think male teacher = paedophile. Until recently, people though that gay male = peodophile. These stereotypes, just like thinking that skinhead = nazi damage people in a big way.

Just look at what Jason has done for this board. Saying his style conveys disgust and is abhorent is really not fair for one of the nicest dudes rocking this place - and making fantastic, well cut suits available to people at a really, really good price.

Fair enough point. I can understand people not liking the look, but people should atleast be respectful.

Judge people on who they are not what they look like.

Yo, what the fuck is this shit?

11. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

lol inner racist surfaces

Really? In 2009 really?

12. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think Black Cherry looks decent in the skin look he has going, and if he is a skin then he shouldn't have any problem dealing with the stigma. More I think about it, last fit I should have put on my Docs too instead of the boats.

13. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I love my band <3 although gonna probably switch over to MTM...

anyway I don't like the mod look or the culture associated with it. you can swear to me all day long about how its origins had nothing to do with racism and anti-semitism, but today, that's what its associated with. I don't think everyone who wears it is racist, but its associations make it an extremely uncomfortable look for me to see. at the end of the day we all live in and function in a world outside of SF, and in that world certain looks convey a certain message: and wearing a skintight fred perry polo, having a shaved head, and generally looking like a skinhead conveys a disgusting, abhorrent ideology.

sorry but thats how it is.

i also think the high cropped/cuffed pants looks incredibly dorky and unflattering.

Typical Jewish thinking. [​IMG]

Regulars stop posting for a few weeks and this shit happens again.

14. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Yo, what the fuck is this shit?

+1. Still having a little trouble believing my eyes here.

Not sure about the fit. I wear regular BoO small. Love the color though..and the price.

Fits fine. No need to post it in every thread.

[​IMG]

chrono Jr. Sorry, had to do it. [​IMG]

15. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

Nice shirt, where can i snag this?

it says "New York Sportswear Exchange" on the label but it was a hand-me-down.

thanks robbie, it really was a lot of fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.