• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old text on London Tailoring

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came across this nugget at Internet Archive:

The tailor

Grab the PDF and enjoy a description of London tailoring of days past. Best guess is 19th century publication, but no obvious date markings are on the book and the wording seems a bit too contemporary for 19th c. IMO. Many diagrams later in the book, starting around page 70 or so. Maybe Sator can weigh in?

Enjoy.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks interesting; thanks for the link! Just downloaded it and will help myself to a sherry later and read a few chapters.
smile.gif

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the PM drawing my attention to this thread - and thanks, too, for starting it.

The diagram on P83 clearly marks the style out as being c1850-75. The main reason is that there is no side body on the dress coat. On a dress coat post 1880 or so, you would see three panels instead of the two depicted. However, the trend to deploying a side body did start in the 1850s (cf Minister). By the 1890s it becomes absolutely ubiquitous. Earlier pre-1850s dress coats were much more tight fitting and the system for drafting the panels looks quite different.

The second stylistic hint is on P82. The skirt has a strap that extends along the top of the skirt towards the front. This went out of fashion circa 1905. This means the text must be pre-Edwardian.

The third hint on P81 is the marked taper on the sleeve. This is something you see pre-1870. Dress coats were even more tight fitting than on this sleeve c1830-40's and this gradually diminished as the century progresses.

The last hint is the cryptic Fig. 6 on P81. I can't find the textual reference to it, but it appears to be a collar. The shape of the collar is unmistakably that of an M-notch lapel!

mnotchlapelsjan1873uk0.jpg

These were last seen on dress coats in the 1870's.

All in all, I would guess that text dates to around 1850-75

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick look through the same internet archive dug up a couple of fine texts by T.H. Holding. The first is on tailored garments for ladies: http://www.archive.org/stream/ladiescuttingma00holdgoog The second is on British liveries: http://www.archive.org/details/britishliveries00hold Thomas Hiram Holding wrote between around 1890-1910. He is always worthwhile reading because, even if the tailoring instructions are a bit cryptic, he is a hoot to read. He relates hilarious stories of his clients who were impossible to please, and other colourful anecdotes. I really wish his main textbooks on cutting for men were widely available. The level of skill in manipulating patterns he shows off (without always clearly divulging the secret of how to do it!) is breathtaking. He is a wizard, and his writing style incredibly entertaining.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally, here is another totally unrelated text by Thomas Hiram Holding on the subject of camping, no less:

http://www.archive.org/stream/campershandbook00holdgoog

I have seen it advertised in an original text on cutting by Holding. The publisher is given as "De Vere", which I suspect has some relation to Loius Devere, another famous cutter from a generation before Holding.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your analysis, and I hope you enjoyed unearthing other vintage texts from our archives. My employer partners with many national libraries in the book/text scanning effort, and it's likely that the National Library of Australia is one of our partners. I know they are our partner in other efforts, I just don't know off hand if scanning is one of them.

One of the services of our scanning program is a "sponsored scan" where an individual can sponsor the scan of a text. In general this means that for a small $$ you can move your choice up the priority list and have your name included in an acknowledgment page of the digital copy. Last I heard the sponsored scan service was still in in development, or might be in a "beta" release. I'll have to check.

Also, and perhaps most prescient to all, there may be opportunity for scanning of donated, or at least loaned, materials that are particularly noteworthy or rare. If you have many rare and/or vintage texts, as suggested my your erudite posts, I could probably introduce you to key people at the National Library of Australia to identify a program suitable for the the digital preservation of them. If you are so inclined of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads