• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Scotch/Whiskey, worth anything (pics)?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about throwing these on ebay, but have no clue what they're worth. I can't find dates on any of the bottles, they belonged to my great uncle. They are approximately 25-40 years old. One of the bottles of Chivas Regal is marked $5.50, it retails for about $40 today, any guess on the year just based on that? One bottle of Johnny Red 2 bottles of Order of Merit, Schenley 3 bottles of Chivas Regal The bottle of Johnny may be identified by the label, it's changed over time and that may be a clue as to how old it is. I figured some collectors may be interested since they are in the original boxes/bags, but who knows. Anyone have any insight?
scotch001.jpg
scotch002.jpg
scotch003.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know, but people sell 'collector bottles' of alcohol on eBay pretty regularly -- I'd run a completed items search.

~H

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked around on ebay a little. I think the problem is that there isn't much of a market for this stuff, considering ebay's restrictions.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder -- I've seen lots of collector bottles go off recently ( a world closed to me), including a bottle of JW Deco that I desperately wanted, but not that way, and not for $700. It may be that there's limited interest for these bottles. I imagine that's the case, truthfully, for the JW Red and the Chivas -- that's dead common stuff, not sure at all about the Schenley's.

~H

jagmqt

Reaction score
I wouldn't think they're worth any more than retail prices...I don't have a current bottle to compare, but they don't look much different from what is on the shelves today. What makes you think they're 25-40 years old? The price alone?

I'd find a local mom & pop liquor store that's been around awhile and ask the owners for some suggestions or input...

Or,

Open those suckers up and have a good evening...
cheers.gif

jag

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jagmqt
I wouldn't think they're worth any more than retail prices...I don't have a current bottle to compare, but they don't look much different from what is on the shelves today. What makes you think they're 25-40 years old? The price alone? I'd find a local mom & pop liquor store that's been around awhile and ask the owners for some suggestions or input... Or, Open those suckers up and have a good evening...
cheers.gif
jag

The age was based on my Grandfather telling me that my uncle bought them in the 70's. They've been in his basement for a good 20 years. I'm probably gonna crack a bottle of Chivas because I have several, and keep the Schenley.

jagmqt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
The age was based on my Grandfather telling me that my uncle bought them in the 70's. They've been in his basement for a good 20 years.

I'm probably gonna crack a bottle of Chivas because I have several, and keep the Schenley.

I may be wrong, but I just don't think they're going to have any significant value to a collector.

I hate when I come across things like that...it just seems like they should be worth more...

Enjoy the booze...and if you're not in a rush, then take your time, you may find a collector that will appreciate the vaule...

jag

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really doubt they're worth anything. They are not uncommon at all.

Bohdathone

Reaction score
Older bottles of these brands are indeed pretty common; why don't you just drink them and enjoy the fact that they've been in the family 40 odd years? :)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
These will have no more worth than retail, unless someone just has a quirk for older bottles. Distilled spirits do not mature in the bottle, as does wine, so really, there will be no improvement due to the fact these have been sitting since the 1970s. In fact, given environmental factors, it might have deteriorated since bottling.

Just drink up, would be my best advice!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads