• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old School Paul Stuart

pejsek

Reaction score
Another minor shoe mystery. Here's what I suspect are a very old pair of half brogues made for Paul Stuart. The sock liner is simply stamped Paul Stuart, but the soles are embossed in gold with what I recognize to be the Alan McAfee polo player. The scenario is a bit odd, since I had long been lead to believe that McAfee made their own bespoke shoes and had their rtw shoes made elsewhere (even before Church's came on the scene). But these do appear to have been made by McAfee for Paul Stuart. Not as refined as the EG-made Stuart's Choice, perhaps, but just the right thing for a pair of cords on a fall day. They carry their age nicely--would that we could all do the same!

img0843tr0.jpg

img0845cx0.jpg

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The leather looks to be in good condition. I wouldn't mind stripped those with a bit of acetone and applying a new coat of polish as "project shoes." I'm sure meaculpa could work some amazing magic with those.

pejsek

Reaction score
No doubt you're right about meaculpa (having seen his work elsewhere here). I've basically just cleaned these up, but they seem to have great bones and a lot of character. When I spotted them they were just absolutely covered in dust, inside and out, maybe 1/4". I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they had spent the last 35 years in a garage somewhere here in San Francisco.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sole picture might help the shoe ID

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Sole picture might help the shoe ID

img0931sk2.jpg

As you see, the soles are stitched aloft. I have little doubt that that's the McAfee polo player and that these shoes were in some way "made" by McAfee for Paul Stuart. The real question is whether there was ever any litigation between McAfee and Ralph Lauren. When you look at the polo player here it's hard not to wonder if RL appropriated the image.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads