1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Old School Paul Stuart

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pejsek, Oct 4, 2006.

1. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

Another minor shoe mystery. Here's what I suspect are a very old pair of half brogues made for Paul Stuart. The sock liner is simply stamped Paul Stuart, but the soles are embossed in gold with what I recognize to be the Alan McAfee polo player. The scenario is a bit odd, since I had long been lead to believe that McAfee made their own bespoke shoes and had their rtw shoes made elsewhere (even before Church's came on the scene). But these do appear to have been made by McAfee for Paul Stuart. Not as refined as the EG-made Stuart's Choice, perhaps, but just the right thing for a pair of cords on a fall day. They carry their age nicely--would that we could all do the same!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

The leather looks to be in good condition. I wouldn't mind stripped those with a bit of acetone and applying a new coat of polish as "project shoes." I'm sure meaculpa could work some amazing magic with those.

3. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

No doubt you're right about meaculpa (having seen his work elsewhere here). I've basically just cleaned these up, but they seem to have great bones and a lot of character. When I spotted them they were just absolutely covered in dust, inside and out, maybe 1/4". I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they had spent the last 35 years in a garage somewhere here in San Francisco.

4. Chase80

Chase80 Active Member

the good ol' vintage look

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

Sole picture might help the shoe ID

6. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

Sole picture might help the shoe ID

[​IMG]

As you see, the soles are stitched aloft. I have little doubt that that's the McAfee polo player and that these shoes were in some way "made" by McAfee for Paul Stuart. The real question is whether there was ever any litigation between McAfee and Ralph Lauren. When you look at the polo player here it's hard not to wonder if RL appropriated the image.