• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old-School French Bespoke Brogues

pejsek

Reaction score
Here's an interesting pair of old bespoke half-brogues I picked up a few weeks ago. The maker is A. Rondepierre, 5 rue Volney, Paris (pres Opera). A google search shows a variety of tenants now at that location--the Kenyan Tourist Office, Chabad-Loubavitch Ctr, a pharmaceutical rep, and Serge Simitian's S'Coiffure. I have it on good authority that Corthay is down the street.

img0863at2.jpg

The trees are among the most beautiful and precisely-lasted I've seen:

img0874no3.jpg

Notice the high rolling curve on the outer side of the upper:

img0663nz2.jpg

The shoes came from a gentleman who was also apparently a devoted Henry Maxwell customer. I don't know where Rondepierre stood in the pantheon of Parisian bespoke makers, but he was certainly favored by the well-heeled.

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Ditto on the shoe trees. Is there a reason, aside from the extra labor, why more custom trees aren't made this way? I don't travel a lot, but I hate having to carry heavy cedar trees or improvise with socks.

Good point, chorse. When I get hold of that digital camera again I'll post a comparison of bespoke trees. Lightness has long been a part of the bespoke tradition (unless you're going for the three-piece trees or those long-handled ones over on RJman's Delos thread). Henry Maxwell used a distinctive tree with the heel and toe pieces joined by a mechanism made of some sort of alluminum alloy. The hinged Lobb (St. James) trees were a typically staid affair made of very lightweight wood discretely hollowed out on the underside. These Rondepierre trees are far more flamboyant than either of those--almost seems a shame to put shoes around them.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very nice shoes. Lucky guy. For me not typical French, but typical bespoke, indeed.
Regarding the shoe-trees. I bought such on the fleamarket at the Naschmarkt/Vienna and will look for more, when I find the time. It's not around the corner anymore. Also it's an impulse to look, if there is somebody who can/will produce this stuff.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent shoes, but the laces have gotta go.

pejsek

Reaction score
What's wrong with the laces? Just curious.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

pejsek

Reaction score
Well, I just don't get this at all. I'll certainly take my share of the responsibility since I did urge Alan to retain the original laces on the Polo cap-toes. But do you all really prefer those horrid round waxed laces?! They just seem so coarse and mean to me--not at all in keeping with an elegant shoe (like these bespokes or Alan's cap-toes). I wonder what you all might think of the true ribbon laces meant to be worn with formal shoes. Maybe we should just switch to improvised lengths of sisal twine.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A ravenous Dutchman was believed to have tried to eat himself. Having failed to remove his shoes first, he choked on his shoelaces. While all suicides, other than amongst the vanguard of the realist movement, are necessarily tragic, I find there is something of an innocent charm in the contemplation of self-gustibation.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, let me go deeper in my personal shoe-laces world.

As i said, I like the ribbon laces on the black oxford. Nostalgic, etc.

Also on this example, I prefer the ribbons.
http://www.dailyshoes.de/forum/schuh...bevorzugt.html

On Alan's shoes I don't like either this waxed ones nor the ribbons.

The waxed are a bit to thin and not textured. There's much better stuff on the market.
The ribbons don't have the right tone of colour, also.
My personal suggestion for Alan's Oxford is a mid brown, waxed or not, round and not flat. e.g. like in the VASS catalogue

I wonder you guys spend so much time on antiquing your shoes, why don't give the laces a different colour with shoe cream?

Due to the fact, that the industry stopped to offer a good variety of colours and sizes(caliber). It's getting real tricky to reach good results.

Thanks for listening.

PS: Great shoe and relly a bargain. Enjoy it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads