• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old passport photos . . .

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5c60re2.jpg

Aren't they fun? This is my maternal grandfather. He emigrated to the United States, from the Greek isle of Kalymnos, in 1916. Certainly took some effort, to get himself ready for this photo! I love the hat. Check that moustache! Grandpa used a straight razor. I still have the strop he employed, to keep that blade super sharp.

My grandfather loved clothes. He wore suits, to watch the White Sox play baseball, in Chicago. 23 years old in this photo.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fun indeed.

I believe that you can now submit your own passport photos, so you can even have a little fun in Photoshop, remove blemishes, whiten teeth, maybe add a little bling bling and lens flare.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that, so? What about a hat?? I don't think you can wear a hat for a p.p photo, these days?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting fact that I didn't realize until recently...

You used to be able to get one passport for an entire family. I was looking at my parent's old passport and it had a picture of both of them with both their names. That was what they used to travel Europe in '65 after they got married.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that is how men are supposed to smile for pictures.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that, Bradford . . . All I've seen, are individual passports. Interesting.

dusty . . . my grandfather had a lot on his mind, when he took that photo! I'm surprised he managed even that sanguine, an expression. btw: my grandmother, NEVER smiled. Strong, strong Moslem influence, in the Greek isles. Kalymnos was situated very close, to Turkey. My grandmother wore a headscarf, Moslem style . . . never wore makeup, behaved in a most subservient manner toward men, and more or less directed my mother, to do the same. She did not like it when my sister and I smiled, either. Especially, if we showed our teeth. That was considered to be very bad form. Meanwhile, grandmother's sister-in-law, who lived in Athens, smoked with a cigarette holder, dyed her hair brassy maroon, wore Charles Jourdan shoes, and had her clothes made in Paris. Quite, a culture gap.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Interesting fact that I didn't realize until recently...

You used to be able to get one passport for an entire family. I was looking at my parent's old passport and it had a picture of both of them with both their names. That was what they used to travel Europe in '65 after they got married.

One of my favorite family pictures is a passport photo with my Great-Grandparents and my maternal grandmother. It looks like it was taken at a portrait studio.

On the other hand, one of my least favorite photos is of another great grandfather taken in the 20's. His moustache makes him look like a certain Austrian paperhanger.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
However they turn out, I think vintage passport photos, are fun.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ivan, there's an obscure branch of collectors who are only interested in vintage passports, whether for aesthetics, photographs or bureaucratic archaism.

You also used to see this culture gap between traditional Moselm habits and the Western style in Lebanon and to an extent Syria.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Label King, I've been told that these old passports are of value, but I've not investigated further. The gap between my grandparents' lifestyle, and that of their relatives who lived in Athens, was enormous. And my mother, who was born and educated in the United States, often adhered to these Moslem beliefs.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
There is also an obscure branch of people who like to overuse commas in their sentences to create pauses when there really should not be any.

It's, disconcerting isn't it?

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Label King, do you know if hats are still allowed to be worn, for passport photos? I don't think so.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank, you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics