• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Money Style?

Ehanson

Reaction score
I'm wondering how to describe this sub set of "preppy" style which may or may not be dying out. When a friend described to have " old money" fashion sensibilities I asked what they meant and they replied saying it was a combination of timeless, classic fashion that never goes really out of style mixed with frugality and thrift.

Those attributes are true but in my mind it's more handed down clothing of a certain quality that is rarely these days, Brooks Brothers when they made things in America, and well worn clothing that isn't quite mainstream preppy but closely relate to Trad style. It's a bit hard to explain, you'll know when you see it.

Does anyone know what I'm referring to? It's a bit hard to put into words.

red81

Reaction score
southern prep
ivy
s&p (sperry's and polos)
trad

?

Ehanson

Reaction score
It is similar to the Sperry’s and polo look that a lot of (younger) guys in suburbia wear, maybe a bit more frumpy and handed down though. Older men in the old money set seem to go for country English/ fallen gentry style, at least here along the East coast. Ralph Lauren is greatly influenced by old money but didn’t really get it right IMO. It’s a look that can’t really be commercialized since it’s mostly about character of the clothes and the person wearing them. "Old Money" such a small, obsure (dwindling) fraction of the population limited mostly to the Mid-Atlantic and New England that no one really knows what the true style is and may explain why I can’t put it into words... Maybe old fashioned is a better way of describing it? Many of them look 10-20 years behind fashion trends but somehow the look works…

brad-t, red81, This is true for guys wearing polo’s with popped collars (where did that look come from btw?), color rimmed Wayfarers, brand new Sperry’s and brightly colored patterned pant’s; indicating a certain level of douchiness that goes against subtle yet stylish paradigm and especially makes them the target to being labeled assholes (in many cases rightly so). There’s a certain fashion blog that epitomizes this douchey preppy look... which I'm not a fan of.

Ehanson

Reaction score
spudnik99, thank you! Muffy is the personification of the style I'm referring to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads