Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Old military watch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by parsonsdb, May 31, 2002.

1. parsonsdb

parsonsdb Well-Known Member

Hey guys, my dad has an old military watch, black face, green band. I think it is really cool and i have always liked the way it looks. My delima is that the battery is dead...I have taken it to 2 different watch shops, both said that they cannot replace the battery, the watch it "too old." I was wondering if anyone has any idea of where to go to get it ticking again. Or if there is a store that sells watches like this?

Thanks.
    Parsonsdb

2. davei

davei Senior member

If it's really old, it may use a mercury battery. Mercury batteries have been banned in North America for years. If you've got the original battery, note the type and do a search on the Internet. Your local Rat Shack can also order the battery type for you if they don't have it in stock - you just have to know the part number or type. Just don't bring the watch in and expect them to find the battery type, though - the salespeople are useless.

Another source (again, if you know the type) is a camera store. Lots of old light meters and cameras used rare mercury batteries, and in some cases, alkaline substitutes have been made.