• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old meat in the fridge

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aside from that "fresh taste", what are the down sides of eating old meat from the fridge. How long is too long? What exactly makes it unsafe after x days? Thanks.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Aside from that "fresh taste", what are the down sides of eating old meat from the fridge. How long is too long? What exactly makes it unsafe after x days? Thanks.

Foodborne illness rule #1- when in doubt, throw it out.

Food spoils by being colonized by bacteria. Cooking to the correct temperatures will often kill the bacteria, but the main concern is that the bacteria produce toxins as a by product of their metabolisms. The toxins will not be neutralized by cooking it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Foodborne illness rule #1- when in doubt, throw it out.

What if I am not in doubt, and am just worried about the length of time in the fridge?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
if it's brown, flush it down. Applies to two things, meat is the second.

In all seriousness, I usually just do a smell test, beef turns brown when exposed to air anyways. If it smells like beef, I usually judge it fine. If it's got a bit of funk, I'll usually pazz. Length of time in the fridge can vary heavily based on where you bought it, who knows how long it's been out.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
If your refridgerator is kept at a really good temp--- under 41, preferably under 38, then I'd say freshly bought meat can be kept 7-10 days for sure without worrying, and longer than that you might be pushing it. This obviously changes depending on how long the meat sat out wherever you bought it from. Look for discoloration of the meat or anything like that as a major sign. Sometimes you can tell by smell or even by cooking a small piece and testing it, but some foodborne illnesses can't be detected through smell, sight, or taste. Odds are that it won't be a problem, but just know that it IS a risk.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like after my Asia trip my stomach is invincible so I will take a chance on this 5 day old pork.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
All you need

Uh-oh, one day over...
confused.gif

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
my meat is brown.

Mine is Black like the president.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I feel like after my Asia trip my stomach is invincible so I will take a chance on this 5 day old pork.

yeah, I'm sure you swallowed much worse meat in Asia.

Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Mine is Black like the president.

you should market it as Presidential Meat.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

that would be pushing my limit. I don't **** with pork usually. Nor poultry. Beef I don't mind a little old. I don't mind some iffy fish as long as they aren't like clams or mussels and ****.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
yeah, I'm sure you swallowed much worse meat in Asia.

It's true. The water buffalo kebab I had in India had me feverish!
eek.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
that would be pushing my limit. I don't **** with pork usually. Nor poultry. Beef I don't mind a little old. I don't mind some iffy fish as long as they aren't like clams or mussels and ****.

Does it help that I am eating it with 8 day old spinach and 3 day old rice?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Does it help that I am eating it with 8 day old spinach and 3 day old rice?

as long as the spinach doesn't have slime, I'm good for it. Rice, no growths and no slime. Just pick that **** off, the rest is good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics