• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Lady in Air Jordan IIIs

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see nothing out of the ordinary or amusing in the pics. She's Chinese and she's wearing Nike sneakers, so what?

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Did you read any of this thread before posting?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^

Yes I did. I think she's wearing them because she finds them comfortable. Some old people probably don't really care much for fashion.

I did also see the blog comment "Could they be fake?!" my answer is, more than likely.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, Mulberry St. in Chinatown.

I doubt they're fake. "More than likely" her granddaughter gave em to her when she got tired of the "sneakerhead" phase. It's not out of the ordinary to see parents/grandparents in this community wearing their kid's/grandkid's hand me downs like Jordans, Dunks, AF1s, Timbs, North Face, Spyder outerwear/etc.

xCrunchx

Reaction score
I would think its a coincidence if they were New Balance lolololulz

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
I see nothing out of the ordinary or amusing in the pics. She's Chinese and she's wearing Nike sneakers, so what?

It's not like she's wearing regular Nikes you can buy from the local Big 5. I guess you have to be a sneaker head to understand. The Jordans she wore are one of the most sought after. Since you're into fashion...just imagine her wearing some vanguard sneakers like Raf Simons that would surely stick out from the norm.

When these (Jordan) sneakers came out, they caused a frenzy. Similar to how the retro 11s did, and ultimately why Nike stopped releasing shoes on Wednesdays back in the early 2000s; many kids (including myself) were skipping school to go buy them.
laugh.gif

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak
Lol, Mulberry St. in Chinatown.

I doubt they're fake. "More than likely" her granddaughter gave em to her when she got tired of the "sneakerhead" phase. It's not out of the ordinary to see parents/grandparents in this community wearing their kid's/grandkid's hand me downs like Jordans, Dunks, AF1s, Timbs, North Face, Spyder outerwear/etc.

How's the resale market now for kicks? I got out of the 'game' during the height of the SB craze so I'm out of the loop for the last several years.

The re-releasing of heat takes the fun out of trying to obtain OGs.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
It's not like she's wearing regular Nikes you can buy from the local Big 5. I guess you have to be a sneaker head to understand. The Jordans she wore are one of the most sought after. Since you're into fashion...just imagine her wearing some vanguard sneakers like Raf Simons that would surely stick out from the norm. When these (Jordan) sneakers came out, they caused a frenzy. Similar to how the retro 11s did, and ultimately why Nike stopped releasing shoes on Wednesdays back in the early 2000s; many kids (including myself) were skipping school to go buy them.
laugh.gif

I do know the Jordan III is a 'significant' sneaker, although I never was a sneakerhead myself.
wink.gif
As she's a Chinese lady in Chinatown, this is why I thought they might be counterfeit. Guess I've got so used to seeing fakes everywhere.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
I do know the Jordan III is a 'significant' sneaker, although I never was a sneakerhead myself.
wink.gif
As she's a Chinese lady in Chinatown, this is why I thought they might be counterfeit. Guess I've got so used to seeing fakes everywhere.

Stereotyping to the max, bro. I do see your point of view though since you aren't from the U.S.

Fakes in Asia are out in full force since there are no laws like that in the U.S. where you can get arrested and/or fined for selling fake items. Hence why almost every random lady in an Asia country has a LV/Gucci/etc bag.
happy.gif

I'm not from the same city as the aformentioned lady, but Chinatown in L.A. was the spot to go for real OGs since no one knows of any mom and pop stores. I saw new XIVs back in around 2003-2004, alon with many other desired Nikes like the Pippens and Pennys.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Stereotyping to the max, bro. I do see your point of view though since you aren't from the U.S.

Fakes in Asia are out in full force since there are no laws like that in the U.S. where you can get arrested and/or fined for selling fake items. Hence why almost every random lady in an Asia country has a LV/Gucci/etc bag.
happy.gif

I'm not from the same city as the aformentioned lady, but Chinatown in L.A. was the spot to go for real OGs since no one knows of any mom and pop stores. I saw new XIVs back in around 2003-2004, alon with many other desired Nikes like the Pippens and Pennys.

used to want those so bad back in the day

JelloLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4

happy.gif

There are laws in Asia with regards to fakes. However many countries in Asia do turn a blind eye to fakes.

ohboymyo

Reaction score
Yo that's amazing. Wish my mom copped Jordans. The specialness of this is not the fact that its just a Nike on an older lady, these are impossible to find, as other guys have mentioned. This woman must've looked for these or someone was very kind to their elders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads