• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old John Lobb & Co Last

SirKrumm

Reaction score
I have been given a last with 'John Lobb & co' engraved without any further explanation about the history of this last. It is obvious a last for RTW production which John Lobb Bootmakers never did. Moreover, does the last not suggest any connections to John Lobb Paris. I asked John Lobb Bootmakers and received an answer from Jonathan Hunter Lobb that he has a recollection of a company that traded in the past under the John Lobb name as 'John Lobb & co.' I was wondering if any of the experts of British shoemaking on this forum might have some more insights to share.

Attachments

• 01953865-7484-42FD-A495-863C62B06AD8.jpeg
    01953865-7484-42FD-A495-863C62B06AD8.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 101

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a cool decorative piece for someone who is a shoe fan.

xonelsiwel

Reaction score
"John Lobb & Co. Ltd" aka "JL & Co. Ltd" is the Northampton, UK factory of RTW for John Lobb, under the Hermes umbrella.

rwtc

Reaction score
"John Lobb & Co. Ltd" aka "JL & Co. Ltd" is the Northampton, UK factory of RTW for John Lobb, under the Hermes umbrella.

That's incorrect.

John Lobb Paris is owned by Hermes - they are the producers for the RTW JL in retail stores.

John Lobb Ltd, based in England, is a separate entity. In fact, John Lobb Ltd. is suing Hermes for the right of the John Lobb name.

xonelsiwel

Reaction score
That's incorrect.

John Lobb Paris is owned by Hermes - they are the producers for the RTW JL in retail stores.

John Lobb Ltd, based in England, is a separate entity. In fact, John Lobb Ltd. is suing Hermes for the right of the John Lobb name.

Thank you, however JL & Co. Ltd is different than John Lobb Limited (St James St London UK). JL & Co. Ltd is the RTW Northampton factory for John Lobb, under the Hermes Umbrella.

John Lobb, under the Hermes umbrella also operates a bespoke workshop in Paris. RTW shoes are not made in France, but in the UK. Northampton JL & Co. Ltd factory pictured in the attachment photo.

Attachments

• 8946F2B9-9C7B-4A51-B6EC-2A16A5578C24.jpeg
    8946F2B9-9C7B-4A51-B6EC-2A16A5578C24.jpeg
    608.5 KB · Views: 140

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has always been somewhat confusing to me but I’m also not a huge fan of John Lobb.

when one googles “John Lobb”, the first link that comes up is this:

If one digs in, this is the company which is a subsidiary of Hermès. If you look at the recruiting link, it will prove as such. This company has a bespoke line as well as an RTW line.

Farther down, one finds this:

Note the royal warrants. I believe they are strictly bespoke though it’s hard to tell from the website.

At some time in the past, they must have been one entity and then broken up. It would be an interesting story if it were told.

rwtc

Reaction score
Thank you, however JL & Co. Ltd is different than John Lobb Limited (St James St London UK). JL & Co. Ltd is the RTW Northampton factory for John Lobb, under the Hermes Umbrella.

John Lobb, under the Hermes umbrella also operates a bespoke workshop in Paris. RTW shoes are not made in France, but in the UK. Northampton JL & Co. Ltd factory pictured in the attachment photo.

My apologies, you are correct.

florent

Reaction score
JL ltd had 2 workshops, one in London, one in Paris, both making bespoke only I believe. They sold the Paris workshop to Hermès in 1976 with the right to use the name John Lobb Paris.
JL Paris keep making bespoke in Paris and started a RTW line (made in Northampton) and JL ltd (aka JL London / JL St James) keep making bespoke in London.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JL ltd had 2 workshops, one in London, one in Paris, both making bespoke only I believe. They sold the Paris workshop to Hermès in 1976 with the right to use the name John Lobb Paris.
JL Paris keep making bespoke in Paris and started a RTW line (made in Northampton) and JL ltd (aka JL London / JL St James) keep making bespoke in London.

That sounds reasonable. I didn't realize the divestiture was made so long ago. I'm guessing that shoes sold under the Hermes label are made by the same workshop as those that produce the John Lobb RTW line?

xonelsiwel

Reaction score
That sounds reasonable. I didn't realize the divestiture was made so long ago. I'm guessing that shoes sold under the Hermes label are made by the same workshop as those that produce the John Lobb RTW line?

Hermes now owns their own shoe manufacturing factories, mostly in Italy. However, in the past, (10 years or more) John Lobb did manufacture some styles for Hermes' collections for a couple seasons. You'll see them pop up as second-hand here or there.

Today, I believe Hermes would demand too much quantity for JL's output capacity.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One small correction. I don’t think John Lobb Paris was ever used as an official name. It’s always been used as a short hand to distinguish between John Lobb (or as everyone calls it JL Paris) and John Lobb Ltd (JL SJ).

Also, JLP won’t do bespoke trunk shows in the UK. They’re prohibited by JLSJ while JLSJ won’t develop a RTW line since JLP prohibits them from that.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure why the disagreement. It sounds like both are perfectly well suited to thrive within their core competency.

It sort of reminds me of when Apple Records sued Apple Computers over the name. I think Apple Computers said something like “we promise not to make music if they promise not to make computers.”.

xonelsiwel

Reaction score
unsure how financially healthy JLSJ and the family are. started to see discounted deals for bespoke pre-covid (buy one, get 2nd pair £750 off.) A 40-year agreement would have expired in 2016, potentially ending royalties from Hermes, and reducing a cash flow into JLSJ. that may have most to do with the recent lawsuit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads