• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old friends

Cuff Link

Reaction score
I call this "shopping in my closet" or "shopping in the basement." It is fun to find old friends.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not likely to happen in my case. First off, limited closet/storage space (house is overrun with kid-crap), so stuff tends to get donated to the innumerable charities that will pick-up at the door; what little gets stored in bins is seasonal or is "vintage" sportswear (mostly from teams I played for or coached).

iammatt, it is amusing that there is so much stuff around your house, the existence about which you are totally clueless.
laugh.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Not likely to happen in my case. First off, limited closet/storage space (house is overrun with kid-crap), so stuff tends to get donated to the innumerable charities that will pick-up at the door; what little gets stored in bins is seasonal or is "vintage" sportswear (mostly from teams I played for or coached).

iammatt, it is amusing that there is so much stuff around your house, the existence about which you are totally clueless.
laugh.gif

I think what happens is that I decide what I don't want, and tell my wife to drop it off at Goodwill (actually Out of the Closet,) and then she re-edits my choices, keeps things she thinks it would be a mistake to give away, and puts them downstairs. I never go down there, so it is her little secret.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happens every few months in my house, but with a slightly different fact pattern. My wife usually wants to buy something new and to stop the financial damage I look through her closets to find something similar that she already has. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last week I found some polo shirts that I bought about two years ago but for some reason hadn't worn, and had forgotten about. I've been wearing them after work this week, and still can't believe I hadn't been wearing them until now.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
laugh.gif

One hopes Mrs. iammatt doesn't have a boyfriend stashed somewhere
tounge.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Dad had given me some of his ties and cuff links a few years back. Back then, I was an ignorant college student and didn't care much for them. So, I put them away (this was about 6-7 years back).

Sometime last year, I discovered them and realized that most of the ties were made by some of the better known Italian makers, and his cuff links were all silver or gold, gorgeous and handmade.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
One hopes Mrs. iammatt doesn't have a boyfriend stashed somewhere
tounge.gif

Speak for yourself. I am tired.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
So, a nice thing happened to me today. I was annoyed, because I didn't have casual sweaters for summer, and was moaning about it to my wife. She mentioned that downstairs she had boxes full of sweaters I had tossed out of my closet for one reason or another. I sent her down to find them (I don't know where anything is) and she came up with loads. Not much for summer, a couple of Zanone and Cucinelli cottons, but I rediscovered a boat load of Agnona cashmere sweaters and cashmere-silk turtlenecks (from the late 90s when they still made for men,) my old pair of jeans cut orange cords, and some other bitchin' cashmere sweaters. God only knows why I banished them in the first place, since I like them more than what is currently stocked. I still needed to grab a couple of linen sweaters, but it was nice finding old friends. Maybe the stuff I am deporting to make room will seem nicer some day...

Do you guys ever rediscover old stuff and wonder how you ever did without it?

Matt,

What sizes do you wear? I don't mind used clothes.
blush.gif

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Although not as charming as your story, every season when I bring out the previous season's clothes, it almost always happens that I find substantial amounts of cash left in jacket or trouser pockets.

Why this is I have no idea, so I just accept this phenomena as the conservative part of my investment strategy.

- B

Dry clean or launder those clothes at the end of each season. It would almost be free. Sounds like the clothes have enough money to pay for their own cleaning.
sly.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Although not as charming as your story, every season when I bring out the previous season's clothes, it almost always happens that I find substantial amounts of cash left in jacket or trouser pockets.

Why this is I have no idea, so I just accept this phenomena as the conservative part of my investment strategy.

- B

I usually find that with my books. I sometimes use cash as bookmarks (usually when I fly), and when I'm re-reading a book, I find currency notes sticking out. Always a pleasant surprise, of course!

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those of us who are middle-aged hear you loud and clear.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

I'll PM you my number, tell her to call me. If you find size 46 sweaters lying around you can also send them to me, I almost never find nice v-necks and don't wear them that much anyway. You'd have to look through your age 13 bin though...

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only a nice pair of pinstripe RL chinos I tried selling a few times that sat atop my closet until I entered a weight loss contest last year & discovered them looking for the lightest weight pants to wear to the weigh-in. AND THEY FIT!!!

I don't have the space to hold stuff I don't use, I just quickly donate.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to go down into my storage locker to see what I might've put away over the last couple of years.

There I found a perfectly good Cinque khaki cotton suit and a pair of APC raw denims that didn't fit me then but now do.

Thanks Matt!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads