• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old friends

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, a nice thing happened to me today. I was annoyed, because I didn't have casual sweaters for summer, and was moaning about it to my wife. She mentioned that downstairs she had boxes full of sweaters I had tossed out of my closet for one reason or another. I sent her down to find them (I don't know where anything is) and she came up with loads. Not much for summer, a couple of Zanone and Cucinelli cottons, but I rediscovered a boat load of Agnona cashmere sweaters and cashmere-silk turtlenecks (from the late 90s when they still made for men,) my old pair of jeans cut orange cords, and some other bitchin' cashmere sweaters. God only knows why I banished them in the first place, since I like them more than what is currently stocked. I still needed to grab a couple of linen sweaters, but it was nice finding old friends. Maybe the stuff I am deporting to make room will seem nicer some day...

Do you guys ever rediscover old stuff and wonder how you ever did without it?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a nice read along with my sunday breakfast and the answer is: yes

bluemax

Reaction score
I'm actually more likely to find things I bought a just couple months ago, and wore for a couple times and completely forgot. I guess that's more like rediscovering acquaintances than old friends.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
So, a nice thing happened to me today. I was annoyed, because I didn't have casual sweaters for summer, and was moaning about it to my wife. She mentioned that downstairs she had boxes full of sweaters I had tossed out of my closet for one reason or another. I sent her down to find them (I don't know where anything is) and she came up with loads. Not much for summer, a couple of Zanone and Cucinelli cottons, but I rediscovered a boat load of Agnona cashmere sweaters and cashmere-silk turtlenecks (from the late 90s when they still made for men,) my old pair of jeans cut orange cords, and some other bitchin' cashmere sweaters. God only knows why I banished them in the first place, since I like them more than what is currently stocked. I still needed to grab a couple of linen sweaters, but it was nice finding old friends. Maybe the stuff I am deporting to make room will seem nicer some day...

Heh- sounds like you need to mafoo your wardrobe... or maybe start a clearance sale in B&S.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Although not as charming as your story, every season when I bring out the previous season's clothes, it almost always happens that I find substantial amounts of cash left in jacket or trouser pockets.

Why this is I have no idea, so I just accept this phenomena as the conservative part of my investment strategy.

- B

beau nash

Reaction score
I do this mostly with ties. I get really tired of some of them and can't imagine that I would want to wear them again. In the past, I have given them to my father-in-law. Then, I will see him in one and think, "That's a really nice tie. I wish I had one like that."

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Does a 3/4 length sleeve Judas Priest concert t-shirt count?

I actually came across a few things recently, including an original LL Bean Norwegian fisherman's sweater, that worked their way back into my closet. To a certain extent, I limit my ability to friends from the past by donating anything I no longer want the minute I decide I don't want it. I am an "order" freak and can't stand knowing that the suit and pair of shoes I will no longer wear are taking up space somewhere, so I don't even wait for a critical mass of clothing before dumping em' at the Goodwill dumpster thingy.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good thread idea. i was going to start a very similar thread this morning before i read this.

yesterday i got into an argument with my wife at NM because i wanted to pick up a light purple Borrelli shirt - she was dead set against the idea because i have some MTM shirts coming and she felt i was going overboard again (i am usually doing this at one point or another)

so off we go, with me pouting all the way home
musicboohoo[1].gif

last night as i was continuing the sulk fest, i was hanging up a bunch of shirts that just been washed for the first time in ages when i came across the exact same Borrelli purple shirt.
eh.gif

i am still debating whether i should tell her.....
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Heh- sounds like you need to mafoo your wardrobe... or maybe start a clearance sale in B&S.
looking forward to this...
devil.gif

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Although not as charming as your story, every season when I bring out the previous season's clothes, it almost always happens that I find substantial amounts of cash left in jacket or trouser pockets.

Why this is I have no idea, so I just accept this phenomena as the conservative part of my investment strategy.

- B

Your problem is that you use cash. Haven't you been indoctrinated by the VISA commercials that make fun of all us neanderthals that insist on using cash at convenience stores and thus impede the pace of progress?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a BB herringbone sack sport coat (you've seen it, Matt) that I retrieved from the back of a closet earlier this winter. Before that, it had been left in my parents house for years (it's old), and I almost told my mother to toss it when my parents moved several yeras ago, but in the end I retrieved it, only to put it in the back of my own closet until a few months ago. It's a coat with many lives, and right now I can't understand why I ever disdained it.

emptym

Reaction score
Happens every time I visit one of my brothers. I give them a lot of things and forget, or they sometimes take things. They swear they don't though.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Not only do I do that, I will sometimes buy something, have it never really make it into the rotation, then rediscover it later only to wonder how I ever lived without it.

This happens to me - things I buy and almost regret, then finally start to wear months later and find that I love. With the things that get banished from the closet, I almost always sell or give those pieces away. I've tried to stick to a pretty strict regimen of discarding things that I don't wear.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happened when I moved, but I mostly found stuff from high school, most of which got donated.

Side note: Maybe we should start a new thread, since I've been looking in vain for some linen sweaters as well.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happens with me too. In most cases, I got frustrated because I was doing it wrong in the first place. For example, hanging a purple sport shirt in my closet through the winter & never wearing it. Sick of seeing it one day --> storage for a few years --> rediscovery some late spring on a sunny day --> profit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads