• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Brooks Brothers

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
To follow-up on Shirtmaven's excellent post:

Brooks had three levels of quality in tailored clothing:

1. "Own Make" was made in Brooks's factory in Long Island City. It was its top of the line suit. This is the Brooks suit that the bank manager or the law partners wore. Essentially, it was a handmade suit. These were the classic, full-cut, sack suit, Brooks suits of old in heavy wools and with vests. Brooks closed the factory when it decided that it was more economical to have outside contractors make the suits rather than its own in-house factory. Under this thinking Martin Greenfield made Brooks's RTW and MTM Golden Fleece lines. However, the wheel has turned in that under its current owners Brooks decided to manufacture again. Brooks bought Southwick and and did a major revamping of the factory to make its better suits.

2. "346" was a lower level of quality-manufacture. There was less handwork, and the cloths were of a lesser quality. Hence, it carried a slightly lower price than "Own Make." However, this was not a discount or schlock line. It was a good, working executive and middle-level executive's suit. It was made by outside contractors, such as Norman Hilton.

3. "Brooksgate" was the "university shop which catered to young men in college and in their early career. This was lower priced than "346". The sizing tended to be smaller. Some older men continued to shop there especially if they were slim or short. This line was discontinued in the 1980's when the idea of a "university shop" became extinct.

On the shirts, I believe that the shirts on the main floor were all made by Brooks's factory, and they all the same level of manufacture. The Brooksgate shirts were made by an outside vendor.

It is interesting that the tie factory in Long Island City is the one factory that Brooks had kept running through the years.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let's role play old Yankee aristocracy.

You didn't have cashmere sweaters flown in from Scotland when you were young? (would they have been flown or freighted in 1950)

Back to the chimney sweep you go.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Toronto has a BB Flatiron Shop that sells mainly Red Fleece stuff and it's right in campus area of the city.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
The Flatiron shop in Manhattan is pretty cool, but the costs are weird -- it's half the hip end of the retail stuff, 30% Black Fleece ($200 shirts), and maybe 20% Red Fleece. I don't think you'd save much money shopping there vs. Madison Ave.

Also, Brooksgate was the "Brooks Brothers University Shop" until the early '70s (awkwardly, the name change took place a few months before Watergate).

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Vogue, 1934, in the article "Campus Leaders." The tailcoat, shirt, and bow tie are all from Brooks Brothers, with the tailcoat having the classic Brooks rounded shoulder. The young woman to our left is a freshman, to our right a sophomore.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen this type of cufflink? The only other example I've come across is in a photo of the Baron Nicolas de Gunzburg, featured in Flusser's Dressing the Man (below).

The picture reminds me that one of my favorite neckties is a shepherd's check wedding tie.

Last edited:

HonoraNobilis

Reaction score
O tempora, o mores! Thinking of the glories of university shops of yore is rather depressing. Although given the prevalence on my own campus of sweatpants, hoodies, skinny jeans, I can't say I'm surprised.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To follow-up on Shirtmaven's excellent post:

Brooks had three levels of quality in tailored clothing:

1. "Own Make" was made in Brooks's factory in Long Island City. It was its top of the line suit. This is the Brooks suit that the bank manager or the law partners wore. Essentially, it was a handmade suit. These were the classic, full-cut, sack suit, Brooks suits of old in heavy wools and with vests. Brooks closed the factory when it decided that it was more economical to have outside contractors make the suits rather than its own in-house factory. Under this thinking Martin Greenfield made Brooks's RTW and MTM Golden Fleece lines. However, the wheel has turned in that under its current owners Brooks decided to manufacture again. Brooks bought Southwick and and did a major revamping of the factory to make its better suits.

2. "346" was a lower level of quality-manufacture. There was less handwork, and the cloths were of a lesser quality. Hence, it carried a slightly lower price than "Own Make." However, this was not a discount or schlock line. It was a good, working executive and middle-level executive's suit. It was made by outside contractors, such as Norman Hilton.

3. "Brooksgate" was the "university shop which catered to young men in college and in their early career. This was lower priced than "346". The sizing tended to be smaller. Some older men continued to shop there especially if they were slim or short. This line was discontinued in the 1980's when the idea of a "university shop" became extinct.

On the shirts, I believe that the shirts on the main floor were all made by Brooks's factory, and they all the same level of manufacture. The Brooksgate shirts were made by an outside vendor.

It is interesting that the tie factory in Long Island City is the one factory that Brooks had kept running through the years.

Not quite correct, young man. Brooksgate was launched in 1976, not long before the beginning of the
"Death Spiral" that has resulted in the present Brooks brothers. By the mid 70s I had abandoned BB for
Chipp- mainly because Chipp RTW fit me better than the cut offered by the BB 346 shop.

http://sartoriallyinclined.blogspot.com/2009/11/diffusion-lines-of-past-brooksgate-by.html

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread. When I was big into thrift shopping, I assembled a wardrobe of 1960s–70s Brooks Brothers suits and sport coats (which I no longer have due to weight loss). I still have a 1940s or 50s Brooks Brothers tuxedo hanging in the closet that I'll try to post pictures of soon.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Thanks ChetB -- I'd love to see the tailoring of Brooks Brothers from that era.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
The Kennedy influence on Brooks: the two button suit, 1962.

White linen coat from Brooks, 1954, in Vogue:

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
On the gentleman to our left, the Brooks Brothers natural shouldered overcoat. Vogue, 1934 describes him as "impeccably turned out by Brooks."

There was a time when Brooks was a fashion leader for women, who would buy shirts from the men's department. Here is a model in a Brooks Brothers white linen tuxedo shirt, 1950:

Brooks used to make all of its own suits, at least in 1934:

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers summer suiting from Vogue, 1955:

Shoe Appreciation avant la lettre. Peal cap-toes ($52), by Brooks Brothers, 1954:

Not Brooks, but couldn't resist including this striking image from 1954 in Vogue. The look that would challenge Brooks Brothers -- custom-made by Dunhill tailors ($225) in Hunt & Winterbotham worsted flannel. Just when you whippersnappers in RLBL thought you were doing everything for the first time:

The Brooks Brothers shirt for women, Vogue, 1949:

What will the children wear? Brooks Brothers in Vogue 1935 suggests a double-breasted overcoat in "navy-blue chinchilla, with a warm plaid wool lining."

Last edited:

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
What should I get for Christmas? Brooks Brothers has these suggestions from 1915 (click to enlarge). Opera pumps are only $6. Note that the velvet smoking jacket with silk lapels is called a "house coat." Because you'd never wear something so informal in public:

Why go to Huntsman when you can go to Brooks? 1925:

Brooks, 1905:

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
just added this to my collection....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads