• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

modual

Reaction score
When people describe a pair of jeans as having a "boxy" fit what exactly does this mean ?

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by modual
When people describe a pair of jeans as having a "boxy" fit what exactly does this mean ?

Keep watching the WAYWN thread on here and on Superfuture. Eventually you'll see how jeans should fit (um...with some extremes in tightness and looseness). Sometime you'll see a newb post fit pics that look like his jeans are three sizes too big.

To me, boxy means that it just doesn't flatter your shape at all. The jeans make your legs look like two retangular sticks, your ass looks droopy, and your crotch looks elongated. Generally, unless jeans are meant to be a relaxed fit, boxy is not good.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philly_Student
If I might ask where do you find fingerless gloves that don't look like you just got off a mountain bike or walked out of Hot Topic? I'd like a pair but I'm not even sure where to begin.

Wool gloves that extend down the wrist. Cut off the fingers. Stitch to prevent unraveling.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Raijin

Reaction score
Seems like a hellava deal... at 11" is that really considered a mid-rise?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raijin
Seems like a hellava deal... at 11" is that really considered a mid-rise?
Not to me. Anything past 10.5" should be "high" or "classic" rise as it is 501 territory.

hchamp

Reaction score
You denim guys are prolly gonna laugh at this one, but Brooks Brothers has come out with a new pair of jeans made out of Supima cotton. How does this compare to the kinds of cotton used in the denim favored here, like the Japanese selvedge stuff?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...t_color=Indigo

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
You denim guys are prolly gonna laugh at this one, but Brooks Brothers has come out with a new pair of jeans made out of Supima cotton. How does this compare to the kinds of cotton used in the denim favored here, like the Japanese selvedge stuff?

I'd need to taste it first.

Raijin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Not to me. Anything past 10.5" should be "high" or "classic" rise as it is 501 territory.

Yeah, that is kind of how I see it too... Low-rise would be around 8" or less with 9-10 being mid. 10.5/11" seems like a 'normal' or classic rise and maybe 12"+ would be a high style like 80's rise...

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lately I've been hearing about how taking a jean in at the waist is not such a good idea for all sorts of structural problems. I've only ever had one jean taken in at the waist and it came out fine.

What are other people's experiences/thoughts?

I have a Nudie and APC that need to be taken in and I'm hoping that it works out well.

By the way, buying better fitting jeans is not an option since the APC's fit perfect everywhere but the waistband. Even if I were to go down to a 35 from 36 they would still be huge in the waist but tighter in the thighs.

Thanks

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp

Here's a blurb on Supima cotton. What kinds of cottons are the jeans favored here made of?

SUPIMAÂ
00ae.png
COTTON
Why it is so special?

Pima cotton is a generic name for extra-long staple (ELS) cotton grown mostly in the United States, Australia, and Peru. Pima is from the gossypium barbadense species, compared to gossypium hirsutum. The gossypium hirsutum variety is commonly called upland cotton and is a shorter in length and strength. ELS cotton is at least an inch and 3/8 or longer. U.S. Pima cotton fiber is among the longest cotton staple lengths in the world with an average length exceeding 1 7/16”.

The name “Supima”Â
00ae.png
is a licensed trademark owned by Supima and its members. It is used to promote textile and apparel products made of 100% American Pima cotton. The name “Supima” is an abbreviation for Superior Pima.

The name “Pima” is the generic term generally applied to ELS cotton grown in the U.S., Peru, Israel and Australia. The name came in honor of the Pima Indians who were growing the cotton for the USDA in Sacaton, Arizona, where the government’s Pima breeding program was being conducted in about 1910. Supima is the trademark name that guarantees that the product is made of 100% American Pima cotton. Just the word cotton on the label does not assure you that it is top quality cotton in the garment.

Only 3%of the annual cotton produced in the United States is Pima. It can only be grown in select areas where the cotton is fully irrigated and benefits from a longer growing season in a hot, dry climate. Ginning is more expensive because Pima cotton is roller-ginned, not saw-ginned like upland cotton. Pima is grown in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas.

ELS allows fabrics to have the highest tensile strength which are available, up to 50% stronger than other cotton varieties. Pima is used to spin finer count yarns, which can be knitted or woven into softer, finer and more luxurious fabrics. SupimaÂ
00ae.png
branded fabrics and textiles have all the desirable characteristics of cotton; comfort, absorbency, easy care, freedom from static cling. Plus, they have the added qualities of better strength, fineness of hand, luster and silkiness.

We hear about Egyptian cotton and you might have wondered what the difference is from Supima and Egyptian cotton. All cotton grown in Egypt is “Egyptian” but it is not all ELS cotton. Egypt is one of the largest producers of ELS cotton in the world, but it consumes much of what it produces and exports very little ELS cotton. When we see the word “Egyptian cotton” most people think of it as very fine and long staple, but actually it amounts to less then 15% of annual global ELS cotton exports.

Pima cotton traces its ancestry to the famous Sea Island cottons that were produced in the southeast U.S. in the 1700’s. That cotton was then bred with Egyptian cottons to produce the contemporary ELS cottons that have evolved in the U.S. since the turn of the 20th century. Today the U.S. consumes an average of 100,00 bales (a bale is 480 pounds) of U.S. Pima cotton a year.

“SupimaÂ
00ae.png
is truly a trademark that defines luxury and added value with the most desirable aesthetics in the textile world”
http://www.cottonspinning.com/bulletin_supima.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads