• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

king geyser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by genericman
fairly unfamiliar with topman.... do their suits fit like shipley&halmos as shown below?

S&H
2v28h2w.jpg

Would you guys say a suit like this is acceptable for an interview?

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Would anybody have to have contact info for W+H? My dog chewed off one of my buttons from my MK-2 Jacket and I was hoping I could attach another one on there. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm asking for another set of buttons.

JaPo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nonissue
A friend is trying to find out what jeans have this pocket stitching.
6aae5d97aac32d3948c3e168c737838e.png

I believe that's the Benetton stitching

Belated response. Apologies.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a navy Hart Shaffner Marx suit jacket with blue pinstripes. Im planning on wearing with a yellow OCBD and yellow pocket square. I would like to pair it with charcoal windowpane trousers and chocolate brown AE captoes. In this case, would it be faux pas to use the suit jacket with this look?

Clover216

Reaction score
Alright, this is kind of a weird question, but...

How important to you guys is balancing your top and bottom pieces? I'm not sure how much other people notice, but if I'm wearing some heavy jeans and boots with just a lightweight t-shirt up top or vice-versa , it just feels off. Generally, I try to wear long sleeves with long pant legs, and short sleeves with short pant legs, but there are definitely exceptions. Anyone else ever think about this or am I just being paranoid?

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems easy enough, but does anyone know where I can get a pair of chinos or non-wool pants that are:

1. Slim/skinny
2. Hook n bar
3. No pleats
4. Grey/light grey

I had a pair of April 77 Costellos that fit the bill and were pretty much perfect except they were a size too big.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clover216
Alright, this is kind of a weird question, but...

How important to you guys is balancing your top and bottom pieces? I'm not sure how much other people notice, but if I'm wearing some heavy jeans and boots with just a lightweight t-shirt up top or vice-versa , it just feels off. Generally, I try to wear long sleeves with long pant legs, and short sleeves with short pant legs, but there are definitely exceptions. Anyone else ever think about this or am I just being paranoid?

I think it has more to do with the fit of the clothes and what silhouette your outfit gives off. For example if you are wearing slim jeans, you should have be wearing a slim shirt. It would look off if your top is baggy and the bottom is slim and vice versa.

Roger Mellie

Reaction score
Anyone know what is approproate to wear under a fine merino-wool crewneck sweater that seems to be see through? It's a light blue one from Uniqlo, and when I wear a white t-shirt under it the t-shirt really shows up. Is it more appropriate under these circumstances to wear a vest, or to only wear the sweater when the weather is warm enough not to need anything underneath, and hope people will get a glimpse of my nipples?
blush.gif

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
^ How do you find out if a shirt or any other article of clothing fits you? You try it on. Honestly, this should be common sense. Once you've found something that fits you the way you'd like, you can take measurements and use those as a reference for future purchases, but you're going to have to try stuff on to have a starting point.

And some people like wearing lighter colors for summer. Some people don't care. It's fashion; there are no hard and fast rules.

You think it's common sense because you've been here so long but it's not. A lot of people are horrible dressers and a few months ago I was one of them. I still have trouble shopping for clothes.

What I meant to ask was, what are the important measurements I need when ordering selvage jeans?
When ordering on context they give the: Tagged Size, Measured Size, Waist, Rise, Thigh, Knee, Leg Opening
and in stores like Levi's they only give the waist and length.

and once I know my measurements, then what? how do I know if it's going to be a perfect fit?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DECEMBER
You think it's common sense because you've been here so long but it's not. A lot of people are horrible dressers and a few months ago I was one of them. I still have trouble shopping for clothes.

What I meant to ask was, what are the important measurements I need when ordering selvage jeans?
When ordering on context they give the: Tagged Size, Measured Size, Waist, Rise, Thigh, Knee, Leg Opening
and in stores like Levi's they only give the waist and length.

and once I know my measurements, then what? how do I know if it's going to be a perfect fit?

Those are the only measurements you need. Take jeans that you like the fit of and measure them. Match these measurements up against the jeans you want to get and decide from here.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting some a.p.c. denim but I've never owned a pair of dry denim.. and I have a hard enough time buying pre-washed denim that fits well.

Another thing is that my waist size is a 32, but I'm able to fit into jeans with a waist size of 30.. so what the hell, do I go with the smaller size?

And how much does dry denim shrink?
Sorry all this is just giving me a headache, thank you for your patience in answering my questions so far.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not common sense where you're from to try things on to see if they fit? Really? And since you seem to have missed my answer the first time around: There's no such thing as a perfect fit; there's a fit that you're happy with, and the way to find it is to try stuff on.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
where do I go to try on dry denim? I'm not familiar with stores that carry them.
I mentioned that I wanted to order online so there's no way I can try it on.

and yea, it's not common sense. Most people try clothes on before they buy it but still may buy clothes that are too big because they don't know what to look for.
So what isn't common sense to me is how to know if the jeans fit right or if it's too baggy. I look at myself in the mirror and my straight-leg jeans just never look right (baggy) compared to other people's tight fitting jeans. I'm guessing I should try on some skinny jeans?

A few months ago I was a really horrible dresser so I'm going to ask all the stupid questions I can and get them out of the way early, so don't give me ****. You got nothing to prove to me. Treat me like an idiot and answer my questions, that's all I ask. Thank you.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ read up, order a pair or two and return if it fails. You lose like 20 bucks shipping, but I would do that if I had no access.

My question:

Originally Posted by Souper
Topman/Topshop NYC store opened (today??) Wouldve checked it out but i heard line was ridiculous.

which is sad.

SO: Who can help me with sizing. What size am I? I am thinking of getting something from the topman design line.

39.5 chest

Jcrew: M
Uniqlo: M
Gap: M
H+m: M
Boo: L/XL
EG: L/XL
fashion brands: L
slim 50eu Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads