• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleanerupper

Reaction score
Do these fit my body type well or do I look top heavy? They are size 31x32 Straight Svens. Thanks for any opinions.

picture003copyml0.jpg

picture004copyck9.jpg

picture005copygv7.jpg

Brian SD

Reaction score
They don't make you look top heavy. They actually look quite loose for Svens, which would be the opposite of top heavy, definitely.

cleanerupper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
They don't make you look top heavy. They actually look quite loose for Svens, which would be the opposite of top heavy, definitely.

Okay thanks that's the answer I was hoping for. I swear sometimes when I look in the mirror standing sideways, I look top heavy in them. Is that just an optical illusion or what?

vlb

Reaction score
Hi --

I'm a tall (6'5), somewhat youthful 40-something guy looking for new jeans to try. The main issues for me in jeans are:

(1.) a full rise, more or less
(2.) a 36in inseam (36in waist)
(3.) a straight leg style (overly muscular legs here)
(4.) a not baggy/not tight fit.

Wear jeans for work (media) so need something of good quality that I can dress up or down. Currently wear J. Crew, which aren't bad for fit but looking to upgrade a bit. In the $150 and under range probably, preferably under $100.

Any guidance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cleanerupper,

I agree with Brian: they're a nice loose fit and definitely don't make you look top-heavy.

The top-heavy illusion occurs to me, too, in my crappy body-length mirror. Someone with a better grasp of optics might be able to illuminate the phenomenon.

It's useful to take photos of yourself, as you did here, and view them on your computer to get a better sense of how your fit will be perceived by others. Mirrors can deceive.

cleanerupper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
Cleanerupper,

I agree with Brian: they're a nice loose fit and definitely don't make you look top-heavy.

The top-heavy illusion occurs to me, too, in my crappy body-length mirror. Someone with a better grasp of optics might be able to illuminate the phenomenon.

It's useful to take photos of yourself, as you did here, and view them on your computer to get a better sense of how your fit will be perceived by others. Mirrors can deceive.

Yeah I have a huge mirror too, so it must be the viewing angle that gives that top-heavy effect. Thanks for the input.

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cleanerupper
Yeah I have a huge mirror too, so it must be the viewing angle that gives that top-heavy effect. Thanks for the input.

sometimes, if the mirror's only attached to the wall or w/e from the top and bottom, it bows slightly (especially when it get hot/cold), and that warps your reflection just the tiniest bit.

Also, if you're used to wearing baggier jeans, anything skinny will make you think that it's disproportionate, because it's different than what you're used to.

tljenkin

Reaction score
Hi --

I'm a tall (6'5), somewhat youthful 40-something guy looking for new jeans to try. The main issues for me in jeans are:

(1.) a full rise, more or less
(2.) a 36in inseam (36in waist)
(3.) a straight leg style (overly muscular legs here)
(4.) a not baggy/not tight fit.

Wear jeans for work (media) so need something of good quality that I can dress up or down. Currently wear J. Crew, which aren't bad for fit but looking to upgrade a bit. In the $150 and under range probably, preferably under $100.

Any guidance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Samurai 5000VX with the back pocket stitching removed.

slix

Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone know where I can find this type of shirt?

untitled1ss8.jpg

Not necessarily the same shirt, but I'm like at that sorta style - off-balanced (see the white down the right side?), neutral looking, with a cool design. I particularly like the off-balance look, I can't seem to find any clothes with an unusual color split/design that goes only on one side of the shirt.

Do any of you guys know of anything similar to this style?

Tibo

Reaction score
Yay! What white on the right side? I thought the guy had a missing shoulder or something.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slix
Hey all,

Anyone know where I can find this type of shirt?

Not necessarily the same shirt, but I'm like at that sorta style - off-balanced (see the white down the right side?), neutral looking, with a cool design. I particularly like the off-balance look, I can't seem to find any clothes with an unusual color split/design that goes only on one side of the shirt.

Do any of you guys know of anything similar to this style?

You might search for Fake London and Fake London Genius things. They do a lot of pieces with that type of graphic and with patchwork.

slix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
You might search for Fake London and Fake London Genius things. They do a lot of pieces with that type of graphic and with patchwork.

I'm looking for something with more neutral colors (blue, black, gray, white) and more minimal in general. I'm thinking 2 distinct colours clashing in an off-balanced way with maybe a minimal design somewhere. I really can't explain it too well haha. Simple, with solid neutral colors, but different because of an unconvential break across the shirt, and perhaps a design that makes the shirt a bit more sophisticated.

Ok, I don't know if I'm being too specific here lol. Someone have ideas?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slix
I'm looking for something with more neutral colors (blue, black, gray, white) and more minimal in general. I'm thinking 2 distinct colours clashing in an off-balanced way with maybe a minimal design somewhere. I really can't explain it too well haha. Simple, with solid neutral colors, but different because of an unconvential break across the shirt, and perhaps a design that makes the shirt a bit more sophisticated.

Ok, I don't know if I'm being too specific here lol. Someone have ideas?

Try bluebeeonline.com. I believe they have a section with tons of graphic tees. It's gonna be really hard for someone to recommend you a very specific brand along your guidelines, but that store would probably be a good start for you. Also, Revolve Clothing.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdc_2008
Anyone familiar with the Frye Mason Chelsea? I guess they are from a couple seasons ago, but I think they look a bit nicer than the Arkansas Chelsea that's out now. I'm trying to figure out what sizing is like on them....

Or, how true to size are Frye boots?

Thanks

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdc_2008
Or, how true to size are Frye boots?

Thanks

Size down .5 size in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads