(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Empire, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBoon

DBoon Senior member

I've got a pair of jeans and I am happy with how they fit except the inseam is long and the cuff is too wide; when I walk, the stacking falls down and the cuff drags + gets caught under my shoe

I realize there's the following options: cuff 'em, hem 'em, taper 'em. I'm currently just cuffing, but it's kind of a pain in the ass. I also realize that any alteration could be hit or miss.

I figure that should I just get it tapered a bit, attempt to stack, and if that fails, THEN go in for a hem

My question: Is it common to have a dilemma where you have to balance the amount of hemming / tapering on an alteration, annoyingly, to find the perfect balance?

2. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

This is a question about style,-- style in the "Strunk & White" sense.

If I were talking about Levi's jeans in general, and wanted to mention some attribute of them- say, the sizing of Levi's jeans- how exactly would I go about making a possessive out of it? I mean, I know how to make a possessive out of a plural- hell, I even know how to make a plural out of a plural in the rare grammatical instances where it's called for- but I really don't know how to make a possessive out of a possessive.

What if the business's name is something like Felix' or Liz', and they adhered to that particularly pedantic orthography, would this complicate matters even further?

I've messed my own head up so much on this, even "business's" looks wrong now.

3. Spintherism

Spintherism Senior member

It's always just "Levi's." Levi's sizing, Levi's this, Levi's that. Why? There's Levi Strauss & Co., which is called Levi for short. Clothes etc. made by Levi are Levi's clothes, and when that posessive becomes a brand name, it turns into the noun "Levi's" that looks like a posessive but isn't one. Because english lacks rules for further posessive-izing things that are already structured like posessives (e.g. Levi's's or Levi's' doesn't work) the only recourse is to convert the non-posessive posessive back onto a posessive when appropriate, thus instead of saying <brand name: Levi's>'s sizing, you'd just say <Levi>'s sizing.

Also, both business's and business' are correct.

4. Egdon Heath

Egdon Heath Senior member

It's always just "Levi's." Levi's sizing, Levi's this, Levi's that. Why? There's Levi Strauss & Co., which is called Levi for short. Clothes etc. made by Levi are Levi's clothes, and when that posessive becomes a brand name, it turns into the noun "Levi's" that looks like a posessive but isn't one. Because english lacks rules for further posessive-izing things that are already structured like posessives (e.g. Levi's's or Levi's' doesn't work) the only recourse is to convert the non-posessive posessive back onto a posessive when appropriate, thus instead of saying <brand name: Levi's>'s sizing, you'd just say <Levi>'s sizing. Also, both business's and business' are correct.
    Whoa!​

5. urbanoutfitter

urbanoutfitter New Member

Hi, everyone:

After lurking all over sf for a few weeks, i finally decided to buy my first pair of raw jeans. I just wanted to ask you guys for help with purchasing the right size of somet 008. I haven't had a chance to measure myself and my jeans due to a lack of a measuring tape (lame I know), but to give you guys a better idea, i will provide a list of some of the jeans that I have and their sizes. All of these fit me well, minus some length issues with the sevens and AlX. Those run a little short.

levi's 514s, 31X32

(on a side note, do any of you guys know if the colored 514s were supposed to produce fades like other raw jeans? my brown pair got honeycombs and some solid fades)

couple pairs of sevens, bootcut, and slim, both size 31 (I'm moving on to raw denim, so don't attack me for owning these)

AlX J101s, 30X32

Thanks for your help!

Also, I am 6' 1'', 160lbs, if that helps at all.

6. buttonman

buttonman Senior member

what's international shipping from canada to california like?

7. Lysol

Lysol Senior member

Rag &amp; Bone sizing -- not jeans -- what's it like? I'm a small in most brands (Polo, RRL, EG) and a medium in more vanity brands like Band of Outsiders and APC. Their denim sizing has been discussed ad nauseum on here but couldn't find much in the way of their tops / jackets. There's a sweater I wanted to pick up online but it's a sale item with no returns. Not sure if a small or medium would better fit me.

8. djh

djh Senior member

^I know their vests fit are vanity sized..
    Not sure if that translates to their other pieces.
    In general, I think R&amp;B fits a bit smaller than tagged size.

9. progressiveminded

progressiveminded Senior member

Hi, everyone:

After lurking all over sf for a few weeks, i finally decided to buy my first pair of raw jeans. I just wanted to ask you guys for help with purchasing the right size of somet 008. I haven't had a chance to measure myself and my jeans due to a lack of a measuring tape (lame I know), but to give you guys a better idea, i will provide a list of some of the jeans that I have and their sizes. All of these fit me well, minus some length issues with the sevens and AlX. Those run a little short.

levi's 514s, 31X32

(on a side note, do any of you guys know if the colored 514s were supposed to produce fades like other raw jeans? my brown pair got honeycombs and some solid fades)

couple pairs of sevens, bootcut, and slim, both size 31 (I'm moving on to raw denim, so don't attack me for owning these)

AlX J101s, 30X32

Thanks for your help!

Also, I am 6' 1'', 160lbs, if that helps at all.

Get a measuring tape. They're cheap and relatively easy to come by.

The 514s will fade, as any jean will, but the fading will take longer and will be less noticeable.

10. delirium

delirium Senior member

Bluebee has the april 77 beige costello (khakis) in size 52. What size would this translate to? a slim 34? I can't find a size chart :[.

11. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Slim 54. I'm a slim 32 and have a size 50. You can look back to late april and early may of me wearing them in waywt. They're pretty small at the hem (my size 50s are about 6.75-7&quot;). It's a lightweight trouser material, not a thicker chino. Despite the very slim lower leg, the thighs have a good amount of room. I kinda need to wash mine to tighten them back up since i've worn them a ton without washing (not trying for fades just lazy and they don't have stains or smell)

12. delirium

delirium Senior member

thanks chrono. that's just what i needed to hear.
    ++cop

13. bsyde82

bsyde82 Senior member

how do tim hamilton shirts fit in comparison to say...BoO, steven alan, j.crew, hickey, etc?

14. Teger

Teger Senior member

Alright, hopefully SF can help me. I'm looking for a pair of very dark suede boots, sleeker than Clarks (although similiar in color to the 'brown suede'). I don't want to spend more than $200. Any recommendations?

15. Serg

Serg Senior member

Where can i buy B.Son stuff in san fran?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.