• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeayea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeayea
I just bought 2 pairs of jack purcells.. black and white

anyway, the size seems to be a fit but spent all night last night and today in them and got a lot of rubbing and irritation on my small toes, blisters on both of them. They fit snug and comfortable but started irritating after about 2-3 hours.

Will they break in or should i go up a 1/2 size?

FYI -
I tried to make them work, but in the end, they were just too tight. I had to wash them off b/c I had worn each pair for several hours. I was a bit embarassed returning them but it had to be done.

They were out of JPs in 9.5 so I got some Puma Romas instead. One black, one white.

Oh well, rookie mistake.. lesson learned. I actually liked the JPs even though I never bought canvas sneaks in the past (well once when i was 15). Im probably good for a while with my sneakers but might pick some JPs up this summer.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Ok, so I had asked about my R&B RB6s...and I gotta say, they just don't seem to work for me...the rise is uncomfortable. I want a dressier denim but with less rise...I was thinking of the 5EP LDB, but have been looking at the RRDS too...I know I should find someplace to try all these on, but am wondering what opinions would on comparing the RB6 fit to those other two?

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
How much should i plan to pay for a pair of Charles Tyrwhitt Black Chelsea Boots ?

They seem to be about $250 retail. I will go to the store in NYC to try them on soon (maybe tomorrow).

Should I pay retail or can I get a better price online? What about used?

I've got the brown Chelseas from CT, and the quality is mediocre. I'd go for R.M. Williams, if I could choose again.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Anyone know of an alternative to the sperry topsider original boat shoe? They seem a bit wide/clunky in the zappos pics and i've heard the leather is really stiff. I know Marc Jacobs had a pair last year i think or maybe now but i'd never know. They looked more like what i was seeking. Slimmer looking, more plyable leather, etc... Anyone know of another brand with a similar boat/deck shoe?

The only one i can think of is APC. Any others?

yeayea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Contingency Plan
I've got the brown Chelseas from CT, and the quality is mediocre. I'd go for R.M. Williams, if I could choose again.
Thanks for the warning. Anyone know where I can go to try on RMWs in the NYC area? Also, does anyone else share that opinion on the quality of the CTs? They were recommended to me on this board, so it seems there are some conflicting assessments. Thx again..

QDOGG

Reaction score
what designer jeans are best for my body type and preferences:
6' 2"
162 pounds
I usually get 33 inches waste, 34 inseam, straight jeans, not skinny, not too baggy.
i really like the bullhead "skinny straight" line of jeans.

please choose from this list if you can:
Blue Cult
Antik Denim
True Religion
Sacred Blues
Taverniti
Seven For all Mankind
Habitual
James
Joe's
Marciano
Yanuk
Chip and Pepper
BeBe
AG "Adriano Goldschmeid"
Paper Denim and Cloth
Citizens of Humanity
Red Engine
Rio Starr

Thanks in advance!

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by QDOGG
please choose from this list if you can: crap crap crap
Are there any particular reasons why you are limited to these brands?

apocalypse later

Reaction score
6' 2"
162 pounds
I usually get 33 inches waste, 34 inseam, straight jeans, not skinny, not too baggy.

please choose from this list if you can:
Blue Cult
Antik Denim
True Religion
Sacred Blues
Taverniti
Seven For all Mankind
Habitual
James
Joe's
Marciano
Yanuk
Chip and Pepper
BeBe
AG "Adriano Goldschmeid"
Paper Denim and Cloth
Citizens of Humanity
Red Engine
Rio Starr

Thanks in advance!

People here are not friendly to washed designer jeans. I'm starting to not like them either. Personally, I have a dark pair of 7 For All of Mankind Slimmy jeans I bought for $75 and I love them. Good fit, mediocre quality, nice wash. If you can get them for under $100, they aren't bad. That's the only "designer" jeans I own though.

Start looking at dry denim. I'm new to dry denim as well, I just bought a pair of Nudies and I think my next pair will be APC. I tried on a pair of APC New Standards today and I liked the fit and look although I needed a different size. Plus at only $140, tons of people start with this pair.

Scorpio

Reaction score
Would you guys recommend I size down on the raw WeSC jeans, if so by how much?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Anyone know of an alternative to the sperry topsider original boat shoe? They seem a bit wide/clunky in the zappos pics and i've heard the leather is really stiff. I know Marc Jacobs had a pair last year i think or maybe now but i'd never know. They looked more like what i was seeking. Slimmer looking, more plyable leather, etc... Anyone know of another brand with a similar boat/deck shoe?

The only one i can think of is APC. Any others?

I had Sperrys a long time ago and they aren't clunky or stiff at all, at least not the dark brown/black with reddish brown ones. These: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/18819820/c/125.html

Maybe you should go check them out at a mall. They stretch a good bit in the width, so the uppers will cover more of the sole after a while of wearing them and they look slimmer.

Thanks for the warning. Anyone know where I can go to try on RMWs in the NYC area?

Also, does anyone else share that opinion on the quality of the CTs? They were recommended to me on this board, so it seems there are some conflicting assessments.

Thx again..

There is an RMW store in NYC : http://www.google.com/search?&q=rm+williams+store+nyc

The CT boots are decently constructed, but the leather they use is not very good quality. I use mine for knocking around but not for really dressy occasions as the creasing on the uppers doesn't look so great. Before we had the forum deal on RMWs the CTs were pretty much the only option for low priced, non-glued chelsea boots. If I could choose again, I would probably wait and save up for the RMWs or a pair of C&J chelseas in brown, because the shape, the leather, the construction are all going to be somewhat to much better and add up to a better deal in the long run.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I believe I got mine at Nordstrom or the Bon Marche (now Macy's), but I'm not sure. It was about 14 years ago now. One of those "walking shoe" / old person shoe places might have them as well.
smile.gif

Actually I hate to say it, because I swore I'd never wear them again, but I kind of like these:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...Type=DepthPath

281409fpxtifbgc25525525vn7.jpg

And they are pretty comfy, just don't expect to do a lot of walking in them.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6' 2"
162 pounds

You don't have it on your list, but I would go with Earnest Sewn. ES would probably fit well in that list you posted. Some of the best washes, and their quality is pretty good. I have a couple of pairs and like them a lot.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm terrible at matching colors, nearly color blind...

What color of jack purcell should I get, I almost always wear jeans, with the occasional khaki pant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads