(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Empire, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

How do the regular fit Cheap Monday's fit? I have a pair of their tight jeans, but they are a little much for me.

2. onion

onion Senior member

I figured I might just get an answer here faster than emailing Barney's (which I did).

I bought a pair of jeans at a Barney's in Manhattan, and now I realize that I don't really like them. The problem is I don't live in NYC.... Does anyone know if they accept returns via mail? I know they do for online purchases, but I'm just wondering if they do it when the item was purchased in the store.

3. dusty

dusty Senior member

I figured I might just get an answer here faster than emailing Barney's (which I did).

I bought a pair of jeans at a Barney's in Manhattan, and now I realize that I don't really like them. The problem is I don't live in NYC.... Does anyone know if they accept returns via mail? I know they do for online purchases, but I'm just wondering if they do it when the item was purchased in the store.

Almost certainly.

4. aaronxxx

aaronxxx Senior member

does anyone have an opinion on fit of the route model by crate? i'm thinking about getting some in dry black.

5. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

does anyone have an opinion on fit of the route model by crate? i'm thinking about getting some in dry black.
    I didn't see this in Chad's shop two weeks ago but from the look of it I get the impression it's a Sally cut that's been tapered. Barney's is saying a 7.5" hem; Sally's are 8.5" (based on a 32). From the photo they remind me of a Thin Finn without the anti-fit or a cleaner version of Levi 511's. I may have to snag a pair.

6. whacked

whacked Senior member

How do the regular fit Cheap Monday's fit? I have a pair of their tight jeans, but they are a little much for me.

They run LARGE, and stretch a good amount on top of that. FWIW, the rule of thumb given on the sufu CM thread is to size down 2, if not 3 for those.

Unless it's the now discontinued Crate James selvedge or their jeans cut chinos, you are better off spending money elsewhere. Academi or Good Society are good for the <$100 range. Above that, start looking at APCs or Naked and Famous, maybe.

PS: didn't see Who's post. In this case, follow his advice where applicable. :tongue:

7. aaronxxx

aaronxxx Senior member

I didn't see this in Chad's shop two weeks ago but from the look of it I get the impression it's a Sally cut that's been tapered. Barney's is saying a 7.5" hem; Sally's are 8.5" (based on a 32). From the photo they remind me of a Thin Finn without the anti-fit or a cleaner version of Levi 511's.

I may have to snag a pair.

yeah they're on sale at barney's. their denim is all vintage, so there's no real way to tell how they will fade or stretch right?

8. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Unless it's the now discontinued Crate James selvedge or their jeans cut chinos, you are better off spending money elsewhere. Academi or Good Society are good for the <$100 range. Above that, start looking at APCs or Naked and Famous, maybe.

PS: didn't see Who's post. In this case, follow his advice where applicable. :tongue:

[​IMG]
    The Crate Hamiltons are also selvage. Academi and GS aren't bad for the price point at all, but the cuts just aren't the same. Crate's also strictly deadstock which adds "cool" value and their non-selvage denim is pretty lightweight, making them great for the summer.

yeah they're on sale at barney's. their denim is all vintage, so there's no real way to tell how they will fade or stretch right?
    I saw a pair of indigo Sallys that were worn for over 6 months. They were initially snug over time looked like they stretched out a good 2+ inches. Fading was pretty cool, too, but I'd have no way to predict the black. In terms of sizing, Crate fits very TTS. I stuck to my normal size in Sallys and am pretty satisfied by the choice. After 3 weeks or so of wear, they're still pretty snug. They were trying to get me to go down one in the shop but no way...

Just something to think about but I ordered another Sally and sized up for a bit more of an anti-fit. I think they'll pretty much fit perfectly on me.

9. aaronxxx

aaronxxx Senior member

i have some good society's in their straight fit. the only thing i don't like about them is the hem is a little wide. i've been in the market for some black jeans and i know crate is a quality brand. i can't pass them up on sale.

10. Forkit

Forkit Senior member

Can raw denim be tailored if you dont like the fit? Thanks!

11. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

^
    Can you?
    Yes.

Should you?
    Probably not. It depends on what kind of alterations you want done. Slimming the leg a bit might be reasonable, but anything more and you risk distorting the cut too much. I would just return the jeans and get different ones. There are jeans available in every possible cut/colour/price range. You are practically guaranteed to find exactly what you want off the rack.

12. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

I agree with JohnnyLaw, though I got a pair of Samurai S5000BK slimmed/tapered recently and it went well enough.

13. gmku

gmku Senior member

History question about Levis? When did they start pre-washing, pre-shrinking, sanforizing, etc.? I'm trying to remember if the 501s I bought in college were raw or prewashed. I'd always soak them in cold water and vinegar before wearing, something I think a sales clerk told me to do and it just kind of stuck with me. But other than noting that my jeans were a dark blue (which I think was about the only option back then, besides black), I paid no attention back then to whether they were prewashed or not.

After the cold soak, I always just washed and machine dried them. There was usualy some shrinkage, but it was something I expected.
    Any ideas?

14. Robert

Robert Senior member

I'm new here. Sorry for the newbie question, but here goes. I'm looking for a jacket to go with jeans, pretty casual, something like a Harrington. I don't care too much about the label but I'm concerned about size and fit. Confused, actually. When I try on things from conservative or traditional companies like LL Bean or Eddie Bauer, a jacket in my size will hit well below the beltline. When I got outside that, I find the trend seems to be with things that are at the waist/belt. So, one's a little more relaxed and longer, the other slightly trimmer and shorter.

What's the right look/style I should go for?

15. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

A Harrington should be pretty short, ending a bit below the belt. Check out Baracuta for a classic model, or try Ben Sherman or Fred Perry.

It really depends on the look you're going for but I wouldn't get a Harrington from an American workwear brand - it's a British mod staple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.