(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Empire, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmku

gmku Senior member

That was uncalled for, Quasimodo.

Some of my best friends are gay guys. [​IMG]

2. skiwebster

skiwebster Senior member

RG! two of my favorite things are my nudie slim jims and my brand new scooter. Only problem is my scooter seat is tan leather. Raw denim + tan leather seat = indigo everywhere.

anyway, my next pair of jeans were gonna be grey coated thin finns but I decided to get non-raw denim so I wouldn't ruin my scooter seat. Any suggestions? I've only really done research and read about raw. thanks

3. skiwebster

skiwebster Senior member

-first post-

hey, what would be the best kind of converse all star-esque shoe to get for use with jeans? i mean, should i get regular $40 chucks, get something like john varvatos chucks, or get like, another brand's imitation.... PF Flyers, Diesel, etc?

also, what do you think would be the best color?

i'm aiming for a look similiar to this:

[​IMG]

here are some john varvatos:

[​IMG]

and some diesel converse imitations:

[​IMG]

PF Flyer:

[​IMG]

thanks for the assistance.

it all depends on what you like. I've had multiple pairs of cons in all sorts of colors and my favorite have been black, white, and off-white (natural). I prefer the all stars, but a lot of people like jack purcells. i used to have a pair of pf flyers, but they never fit me quite right. Also take a look at vans authentic. thats the other big style that gets mentioned a lot. if you like the color/style of the jv con's, then go for them, but IMHO i don't think the quality is any better than $40 chucks.

4. xchen

xchen Senior member

That was uncalled for, Quasimodo.

Nice! I'd bow but I'm already hunchin'.

5. flyindarkness

flyindarkness Senior member

6. hossoso

hossoso Coward and P*ssy

dress belts - what do you guys wear when you need to dress up a bit for a belt, even for work lets say...

i need a brown and a black belt, I currently no longer like either of my belts from the gap, (one is too long, one is too wide)...

What do we have for lets say under $75???

I'm not sure if they still have these and I don't feel like checking but, Tyrwhitt used to carry a belt with black on one side and brown on the other with a nice buckle that could be switched to either side. If you want something utilitarian, economical and versatile you could look into that. The leather wasn't shit and has held up for several years but I rarely wear it as the colors have no depth (I guess I could polish/tan it for a better patina but I have more good belts than I know what to do with and I rarely wear any of them as most of my pants fit perfectly). It is functional as a two-for-one but, if you are into higher quality leather, you will be disappointed. I think it cost about $60 at one of their sales. All told, I think I would suggest it.

7. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Does a J. Crew size 32 chino fit like a GAP size 32 chino? (About 33.5" give or take...)

Feel free to compare to Nudie/APC/5EPxSF/KMW sizing if you are able to.

8. gmku

gmku Senior member

How satisfied are you with your jeans fit? I have several "good" pairs now, not merely raw 511s but also a coupld of more expensive brands (diesel, etc.) in raw or once-tumbled slim fits. They always fit perfectly in the store, where, if I go down one size, they're so small I can't pull them up to my waist. I try to leave them on for a while, walk around the store for a few minutes to make sure they don't loosen up too much, and they're always fine. But then after several weeks of wear and the first soaking/drying, they are invariably looser than when I bought them. Not so much so that they slip off my butt or anything, but not nearly as tight-fitting as when I wore them in the store. What's going on?

9. xchen

xchen Senior member

Denim will almost always stretch out like this. When you wash and dry the jeans they'll shrink back down temporarily but after wearing them again for a few hours they'll stretch back out and become loose again.

10. gmku

gmku Senior member

So they'll look relatively slim most of the time, just not as tight-fitting as they did in the fitting room...? Sorry, I know I probably sound dense about this.

11. xchen

xchen Senior member

Size down slightly when purchasing to account for the stretching. Then once they stretch out be careful when washing them to not shrink them too much.

12. gmku

gmku Senior member

Thanks. Actually I did try a size down, but it was enough of a difference that I couldn't pull the jeans above my thighs--that is, couldn't pull them up enough to button and zip. I guess I have my size pretty much right. I just need to learn to live in an imperfect world.

13. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

Im looking for some good looking t-shirts I can wear with my Black DH Jeans prefereble fitted and cheap. any suggestions?

14. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

15. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

blank or graphic?

preferably blank or if its graphics something simple nothing like ed hardy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.