• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's impossible to search for 5EP for some reason, so: how is the 5EP Low Down Bootcut sized? Do they run true to size, or should I size up or down?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for slim-fitting bootcuts, please let me know.

Thank you!

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landho
It's impossible to search for 5EP for some reason, so: how is the 5EP Low Down Bootcut sized? Do they run true to size, or should I size up or down?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for slim-fitting bootcuts, please let me know.

Thank you!

If you buy the raw, SF wisdom recommends sizing down to accommodate stretch on these.

pooMonger

Reaction score
Where can I find some Studio D'Artisan D1293 jeans? They look very sexy and must complete my denim collection!

gandatoyou

Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on Lee Gold label 101Z. I already have APC NS and heard they are very similar (except the rise, of course). Will it be worth buying? I can't really tell with only three pictures from their websites. How's the fit and color compared to NS? My APC is only 2 months old and love it, but definitely like this deal if it is different.

gforce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SantosLHalper
If you buy the raw, SF wisdom recommends sizing down to accommodate stretch on these.
If you want the LDB to be slim size down 2. You should check out the RRL slim Bootcut too...........size down 1 in those.

Hummingbird

Reaction score
I am thinking of picking up these Allen Edmonds on Ebay. Will these be a good business casual shoe? The soles are rubber. Should I save my money and invest in something with a proper leather/wood sole, or will these be a good starter? They are listed as the "comfort cushion" model. As a young professional I don't want to be associated with old man shoes :p
020608_050.jpg
020608_049.jpg

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Thanks jessetk313 for the info.

Eason, everything I needed; rad, awesome, thanks.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of brogue boots. My question is, do I need a shoe tree or a boot tree? And if I need a boot tree, does it matter if the boot tree is for cowboy boots?

I would also appreciate any good sources for said trees.
Ordinary shoe trees from Nordstrom should be fine.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, SantosLHelper and gforce!

Originally Posted by Hummingbird
I am thinking of picking up these Allen Edmonds on Ebay. Will these be a good business casual shoe? The soles are rubber. Should I save my money and invest in something with a proper leather/wood sole, or will these be a good starter? They are listed as the "comfort cushion" model.

As a young professional I don't want to be associated with old man shoes :p

You should get those. While I prefer leather-sole shoes to rubber-sole ones, they are not necessarily superior--there has some debate here and on AAAC (IIRC) about this very issue. The main reason you should get them is that you will need to have more than one pair of shoes in rotation so that you don't wear the same pair on consecutive days. So you might as well start here. AE makes well-constructed shoes, rubber sole or no. Eventually, you will get two leather-sole pairs (I assume) and you will be able to move this pair to the "beater" category--perhaps something to wear when it's a little damp outside.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ if your lifestyle involves a lot of walking, rubber sole shoes would prove more comfortable and more durable as well.

headtotoe

Reaction score
Just got a pair of Redwing GT's. How do I brake them in? ..Wear 6hours and Cedar tree 4days? Wear 3weeks strait? Deep fry in cod liver oil? Sorry, did search the the forum but if obvious can do so again.

ataru

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the measurements ********** and bone RB15-0168 Rigid jeans at denim bar compare to their tagged size? Tobi has what seems to be a different pair of rb15s that it says measure 32 waist, 33 length on a 30/32 pair. At denim bar it says the waist runs large, which would be in line with the Tobi measurements, but the length runs short, which would be the opposite. Also if anyone knows the color of the selvage Im curious about that as well.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by headtotoe
Just got a pair of Redwing GT's. How do I brake them in? ..Wear 6hours and Cedar tree 4days? Wear 3weeks strait? Deep fry in cod liver oil? Sorry, did search the the forum but if obvious can do so again.

I went to the Red Wing store today and tried on a pair. The size they had in stock was about half a size too large (ironically half a size down from my normal size), so I had to place a special order for my size.

I mentioned to the SA how the leather from the tongue was digging into my ankle a bit and was a little uncomfortable. He ceded that the leather is really tough but that once broken in is very comfortable.

"How long does it take to break them in?" I asked.

"Depends on whether you wear them every day or just once a week. They'll break in a lot faster if you just wear them every day," he said.

So it seems you should just wear them often and wear them hard.

Don't know whether that's the answer you were looking for, but that was straight from the Red Wing SA's mouth. Hope that helps.

Hummingbird

Reaction score
I have seen some threads on Allen Edmonds sizing, but never any which answer my odd question. Instead of doing a thread in the main area, I'll post it here.

I wear a size 10.5 in Nike, a size 10 in Vans, and a size 9.5 (and occasionally 10) in Cole Hahn. What size will I wear in Allen Edmonds? I'm guessing size 10? Also, I'd guess that Alden's sizing is very close to AE?

I am standard width (D) so that should be no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads