(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Empire, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

bar/airport/mall is a weird category to create. There is no rule. It depends on a number of things including your age, your style the rest of your clothes, the type of jeans/shirt being worn. Same with shorts but just with fewer options. Chucks and boat shoes are some i can think of now. I think i've seen Chris pull off boots but you gotta have hella swagger.

2. zegogglestheydonothing

zegogglestheydonothing Active Member

I'm in my mid 20's and I don't live on the cutting edge of fashion - just like to look sharp. normally, I wear something like a button down shirt (short sleeves), or maybe a vintage t-shirt in the summer. In the colder months probably a wool sweater, button down shirt, and a pea coat - or something similar.

My jeans are normally dark blue, but I'm thinking about getting a faded pair. I'm not too interesting with shorts - I like khaki cargo shorts, without the massive baggy pockets all over the place.

I don't know if this helps you at all. Thanks again.

3. chronoaug

Hmm... I'd stick around longer and let your style, etc mold a bit. Regardless, you can wear a lot of different shoes. With shorts, i still say chucks or boat shoes (check sperry topsider's website for the classic boat shoe). With jeans, you can go with sneakers like vans authentics, purcell or varvators chuck taylors, or go a bit workwear with boots like redwings, or you can go slightly upscale with decent laceups (please don't even think about square toes) , chelsea boots or something like that.

4. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Came across these jeans earlier and fell in love with them, but figured I'd ask just to make sure....that these things are way too short for me. 28x32's, Levi's Eco 539's, "Vintage Straights":

[​IMG][​IMG]

Too short, right? [​IMG]

5. xchen

xchen Senior member

Yeah, they look too short to me. How much were they?

6. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

$34.99 + tax. I'm pretty damn sure they're "soft rigid's", too.....

7. xchen

xchen Senior member

IMO you need a 34 length, as you seem fairly tall.

8. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Definitely. I haven't gotten any taller the past two years, but it seems my inseam has grown by about 2 inches.

Which has me worried. I've been toying with the idea of wearing the heck out of a pair of Levi's STF 501's, but with a 36 inseam being the biggest I can find, shrinkage may make them too short for me.

Damn scrawny-ass-cracker genes... [​IMG]

9. chronoaug

In my opinion, i think you'd be better off buying a more expensive pair of jeans that are what you want in every aspect (fit, denim, details) instead of 2-3 $40 pairs.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Definitely. I haven't gotten any taller the past two years, but it seems my inseam has grown by about 2 inches. Which has me worried. I've been toying with the idea of wearing the heck out of a pair of Levi's STF 501's, but with a 36 inseam being the biggest I can find, shrinkage may make them too short for me. Damn scrawny-ass-cracker genes... [​IMG]
    What are you going to use the 501's for? A beater pair or to add to the growing collection? If beater, you'll be fine with the 36. If collection, I'd say pass.

11. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

In my opinion, i think you'd be better off buying a more expensive pair of jeans that are what you want in every aspect (fit, denim, details) instead of 2-3 $40 pairs.

What are you going to use the 501's for? A beater pair or to add to the growing collection? If beater, you'll be fine with the 36. If collection, I'd say pass.

Agreed. I've been considering a pair of IronHearts for this, but I just can't quite justify the funds for them right now.

And kind of both, Rambo. Im looking for a pair I can be pretty hard on (yard work, workin on motorcycles, etc...) and not be worried about being out a chunk of change if I ruin them (which I tend to do). That, and I think I could get a decent fade out of them this way since I can't really give my current jeans hell for fear of ruining them or at least dirtying them up to where I can't wear them in public.... It's down to either buying a decent cheap pair I don't care as much about, or ponyin up for an ultra durable pair of premiums.

12. xchen

xchen Senior member

My advice is wait a couple paychecks and pony up for the premiums. Save a little here and there and try not to buy anything until you have the jeans. I've been doing this lately. Waiting a bit longer and picking up bigger ticket items. One of those instances where quality definitely outweighs quantity.

13. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

I think that's what I'm going to do. Up to this point, I've managed to manage a completely different style while spending next-to-nothing by buying used/sale items and doing my own tailoring. If I go with them, the Ironheart Selvages will cost more than I've spent on clothing combined this past year!

But at least they're practical for a motorcyclist.... (so I tell myself [​IMG] )

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

My advice is wait a couple paychecks and pony up for the premiums. Save a little here and there and try not to buy anything until you have the jeans. I've been doing this lately. Waiting a bit longer and picking up bigger ticket items. One of those instances where quality definitely outweighs quantity.
    I disagree. My blow your whole wad just to have the jeans ruined by gear grease or gasoline, or getting caught in your lawnmower. I do agree that you should get a premium pair but not to work in. If you want a double duty pair then the 501's should strike the right balance.

15. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

... ruined by gear grease or gasoline, or getting caught in your lawnmower......

or caught on fire while welding......again......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.