• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barneygumble
How do you measure your 'true' waist size?

You don't really, at least not in a way that has any sort of relevance to the pants seen here. Measure the waist of a few good-fitting pairs of pants you already own (lay them flat, measure across the waist, multiply by 2), and go from there.

Tonybag0dohnutz

Reaction score
Quick question on APC sizing (not jeans). How do their tops fit? Looking to get a crew neck sweater and I'm pretty much usually a small in everything. does 1 = small and go from there, or does 1 = xs? Thanks!

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
It's inconsistant. I had a tshirt in size 1 that fit between a small and medium about a 19.5-75" pit to pit. I'd try to get a measurement on the specific garment by perhaps calling a store and requesting it or at least asking them about sizing. I asked an APC employee over the phone about the sizing and he was very helpful telling me what he normally wears and what he wears in that specific garment (since he owned it as well). I called the LA store because i figured they'd be less busy than the NYC one.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asobu
Oh yeah, can someone direct me to - or post - correct measurements of B.Son's ribbed hoodie and the jersey henley in grey/white in size M and L, at least pit-to-pit sizes. Thanks. Revolve have measurements but I don't trust them. They tell me to size up while, for instance, LA Guy mentioned that they run large and recommend to size down one. I'm confused.

I trust users measurements more than sites general sizing guides.

edit: maybe LA Guy or someone else could just suggest what size I should go for if I'm a 20.5" in the chest (but am able to wear 20 or 21 as well).

Medium. I am a 38 in the chest, and a small is a slim, but not skin tight, fit in the jersey henley. You would need at least a medium unless you want it to look like Underarmor.

CDC

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have a question for a tailor about hemming sleeve length. I need them lengthened and I've got a good 2.5" - 3" of let (on the cuff end) but the cuffs have real buttons and I'm wondering what kind of work this will be for a tailor. Is it possible? Or is it extremely time consuming? Or is it no big deal. I don't really care if the end result has the buttons not reaching to the ends of the cuffs, I just want it to be sturdy (hence not attempting it myself). Thanks for the help, in advance.
DSCN0158.jpg

zw-gator

Reaction score
What is a "hidden rivet" and can I get a pic of one?

Thanks

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can be done CDC, i have a Costume National sportscoat, and had my tailor take up the sleeves. Didn't really want him to take it up from the shoulder, so he did it from the bottom:

Closed:

image020za7.jpg

Open, button side:

image021uz9.jpg

Open, buttonhole side:

image001ou4.jpg

From the outside of the sleeve, it looks exactly as it did before the shortening. HTH.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zw-gator
What is a "hidden rivet" and can I get a pic of one?

Thanks

Rivet: http://blueingreensoho.com/site/comp..._bkpkt_web.jpg

hidden rivet: http://blueingreensoho.com/site/comp...e_back_web.jpg

Metal hardware normally on the key stitching points on front or back pockets. Traditional jeans have them on the outside (or some don't have them), but on a lot of japanese repro jeans they are "hidden" by having them on the inside of the jean and not visible from the outside. As you wear them and they start to fade, the fade from the hidden rivet begins to come through on the outside though. Kinda cool but mainly just a repro detail.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hidden rivets also don't scratch whatever you're sitting on, which is nice if you sit on nice things that are nice.

CDC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
It can be done CDC, i have a Costume National sportscoat, and had my tailor take up the sleeves. Didn't really want him to take it up from the shoulder, so he did it from the bottom

Thanks Homme. Do you think it would be more difficult to have them lengthened?(I guess I should edit my orig. post to state that...) I'm under the impression that it might be...?

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0414972936128_275x275.jpg

Anybody here have any experience with John Varvatos shoes, in terms of quality and sizing? Im a size US 9 (Size 8 in chucks). Was thinking of picking these up for office and outside of work. Never owned a pair of brogues before and wonder if they would look nice with a pair of loose fitting jeans (Currenty wearing oni reds, leg opening is 8.5 - 9 inchs). Im guessing brogues are usually a bit longer? Any feed back would be great thank you.

Tonybag0dohnutz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
It's inconsistant. I had a tshirt in size 1 that fit between a small and medium about a 19.5-75" pit to pit. I'd try to get a measurement on the specific garment by perhaps calling a store and requesting it or at least asking them about sizing. I asked an APC employee over the phone about the sizing and he was very helpful telling me what he normally wears and what he wears in that specific garment (since he owned it as well). I called the LA store because i figured they'd be less busy than the NYC one.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm usually always a small in pretty much everything, so I'll prob just go with a size 1. Can't get any smaller and a 2 would prob be too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads