1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Okay, Who's Research is This? (Bacteria Analysis of Unwashed Denim)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Notreknip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I don't know whether to be [​IMG] or [​IMG] that from all of the good research coming out of my school (University of Alberta), this is what is considered a "top story" by our national media. I mean, the scientific method here is clearly lacking, BUT I do love my denim. If my 3-years of slaving away at a Masters project gets 1% of this publicity I'd be thrilled. ...and to think I knew of all of the SF members in Edmonton... http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories...-jeans-110119/
    TL;DR - SW&D members likely reek, but probably won't die if for some reason they decide to lick the crotches of their raw jawnz.

2. Keyboard Warrior

Keyboard Warrior Well-Known Member

If this was in India, the story would be much different

3. zissou

zissou Senior member

I was watching a documentary and one of the guys in the band usually fell asleep drunk in his jeans every night. End result: raging case of jock itch. I guess as long as they are actually taken off, you are usually ok.

4. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

In related news: smoking is not a health hazard because no one has ever come close to dying after lighting up cigarettes for 15 months.

this is what is considered a "top story" by our national media.

To be fair though, the political ramifications are huge:

Liberal Opposition leader: we should set aside some federal funding to care for homeless peoples... shelter, food, a change of clothes...

Conservative Leader: Actually!!, there was this study done at the University of Alberta....

5. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Back when I was in the process of obtaining my MS, I seriously thought about doing a similar study myself. I had access to the microbiology lab. I wanted to swab and culture bacteria counts, but I didn't know anyone who wore jeans that intensely without washing.

6. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

it would be relatively simple to do a change in microbial ecology over time study, perhaps with reference to washed jeans. Could pick out a few of the key players, as well as do a follow up study to figure out what it is they're actually eating. might be interesting.

7. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

In related news: smoking is not a health hazard because no one has ever come close to dying after lighting up cigarettes for 15 months.

not even remotely useful comparison.

8. Donut

Donut Senior member

I'm from edmonton too, and that research is pretty interesting.

9. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

not even remotely useful comparison.

Of course it isn't, and neither is "health hazard".

10. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Of course it isn't, and neither is "health hazard".

i'm trying to understand your point.

this is what i'm thinking you're saying: that the absence of known "harmful bacteria" doesn't necessarily mean the jeans don't necessarily have some type of negative health consequence to the wearer?

11. Keyboard Warrior

Keyboard Warrior Well-Known Member

I'm more interested in the places he'd been in the past 15 months. If it's just home>college>home routine, well pretty much explains it.

12. Phiberglass

Phiberglass Senior member

This is not research or an experiment, all he did was test the bacteria level on his jeans...

13. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Has anybody checked SuFu to see if the news broke there. This guy has to be a member somewhere.

14. PersonalJesus

PersonalJesus Senior member

Observational study, yo.

15. DrMoBueno

DrMoBueno Well-Known Member

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

My scrotal sweat smells like crushed flowers, and my jeans' crotch squeezings are being studied as a green alternative energy source for automobiles.

16. joshyle

joshyle Active Member

Hello friends, I was thinking about posting this, but I didn't know where to start. I'll start off to say that it's a very informal scientific experiment, we're not denying that - the media didn't really pick up on that. It was something fun/quirky that I pitched to my Human Ecology prof semi-jokingly, semi-seriously. It's gained quite a bit of attention, eh? SF Edmonton exists! [​IMG] Cheers, Josh

17. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

I was watching a documentary and one of the guys in the band usually fell asleep drunk in his jeans every night. End result: raging case of jock itch. I guess as long as they are actually taken off, you are usually ok.

I had the same problem when I wore jeans over the summer. A bad case of jock itch sure delays your plans to fade your APC's as quickly as possible.

18. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

This is not research or an experiment, all he did was test the bacteria level on his jeans...

+1

19. Jared7

Jared7 Senior member

Josh your jeans look awesome. I'm gonna give this 15 month no-wash thing a shot

20. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

its on CNN right now ... the story of the jeans

edit: 30 sec blurb about wearing jawns and having no dangerous bacteria but called "extreme" lol