• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

okay - is this nuts???

pgoat

Reaction score
I have two suits I now hate thanks to the SF - they were ealry buys for me before I knew better. Both are DBs from the mid 90s. Both are dept. store brands. I would probably get only $5-10 bucks on ebay even though one is New, never worn and the other only worn a few times.

here's the question - I figure at those prices I would keep the pants, which fit well (The fabrics are somewhat rough and sporty and thus should work with a sport coat well), and just donate the jackets. But a crazy idea popped into my head - I've always been curious to rip open a jacket and see how they are put together.

Now I am curious to see if these can be modded to a wearable fit. I don't seriously expect to get them to look presentable, but thought it might be a fun project and give me insight the next time my tailor shakes his head when I ask for 'the impossible'

anyone else think this is worth doing? Or should I give them away and help out some poor starving comedian or sportscaster or nightclub bouncer out there?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pgoat
a crazy idea popped into my head

Mind you, Edison had some crazy ideas.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pgoat
I have two suits I now hate thanks to the SF - they were ealry buys for me before I knew better. Both are DBs from the mid 90s. Both are dept. store brands. I would probably get only $5-10 bucks on ebay even though one is New, never worn and the other only worn a few times.

here's the question - I figure at those prices I would keep the pants, which fit well (The fabrics are somewhat rough and sporty and thus should work with a sport coat well), and just donate the jackets. But a crazy idea popped into my head - I've always been curious to rip open a jacket and see how they are put together.

Now I am curious to see if these can be modded to a wearable fit. I don't seriously expect to get them to look presentable, but thought it might be a fun project and give me insight the next time my tailor shakes his head when I ask for 'the impossible'

anyone else think this is worth doing? Or should I give them away and help out some poor starving comedian or sportscaster or nightclub bouncer out there?

Do it. You can learn a lot about your next suit from what you find inside your last.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
In his last few years, he supposedly consumed nothing but a pint of milk every three hours.
Can you say, "diarrhea ahoy"?
wow.gif

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
In his last few years, he supposedly consumed nothing but a pint of milk every three hours.
That
is nuts. A suit post-mortem is perfectly normal.

pgoat

Reaction score
funny about edison.....ever read Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"? interesting story of intellect gone wild....

Basically these suits had an exaggerated 'athletic' cut. They were designed to button only on the bottom button (indeed, there is only one button hole, unlike traditional DBs). The waist are very tapered, and there are no vents so they fit snugly around the hips. The shoulders, meanwhile, in addition to having leftover 80s padding, are excessively wide. I normally need about a 19.5" shoulder seam span - these are about 22".

I was curious to see how the shoulders were constructed - I wanted to take out the lining, and look at the shoulder pads, etc. I was even curious to try and cut down the pads and narrow the shoulders.

as for the buttons, both have a avery low button stance, so I wanted to try two experiments - one has 6 buttons, so I wanted to cut an upper buttonhole and move the button over to allow it to close on top (I usually leave the lower button open on my trad DBs); and two, I wanted to cut the second one down into a SB, as it has four buttons spaced very closely together.

Let me just say I have no illusions that these will come out looking good.....I merely was thnking this was a good opportunity to play doctor with no real consequences - the jackets are essentially unwearable as is anyway, and I won't get more than $20 tops for my trouble on ebay (assuming they'd sell at all).

I bought them, btw, when I had read in Flusser's clothes and the man about buttoning DBs on the lower button a la Duke of Windsor.....while I still adhere to much of AF's advice, that was a mistake for me......I was going for the Hollywood 1940s vibe but now realize the trad DB a la Maltese Falcon is what I really prefer

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
yeah do it, and post some pics of the innards for general interest up here

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads