• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Okay guys, so i'm pretty new to HERE and fashion. Enlighten me.

collegeguy88

Reaction score
I'm sure you are already pissed the **** off that I dare ask for newbie help, but let me make a more specific :facepalm: request. If you were to isolate the three most important pieces of advice for men's fashion, what would they be? It seems like #1 is that clothes should fit, #2 might be to focus on timeless style rather than fads, but I haven't gathered the other big ones.

Furthermore, how should I be finding good deals? I simply cannot afford to spend thousands of dollars on clothes on my budget at the moment, so what are the good sources? It looks like these forums are actually really good. Am I wrong there? Are there other good forums out there? Where does eBay rank on that scale? I don't really have time to be thrifting regularly, but just in case, where does that rank? The B&S section here and eBay seem great thus far because I can just bookmark/rss searches for specific items that I know fit and check for them weekly or so.

So, thanks for all the help. :)

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man, that's a lot of questions.

I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buy Ambrosi trousers..

They're the best in the world.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
the key to looking great is owning 8 pairs of the same shoe.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

I'm sure you are already pissed the **** off that I dare ask for newbie help, but let me make a more specific :facepalm: request. If you were to isolate the three most important pieces of advice for men's fashion, what would they be? It seems like #1 is that clothes should fit, #2 might be to focus on timeless style rather than fads, but I haven't gathered the other big ones.
Furthermore, how should I be finding good deals? I simply cannot afford to spend thousands of dollars on clothes on my budget at the moment, so what are the good sources? It looks like these forums are actually really good. Am I wrong there? Are there other good forums out there? Where does eBay rank on that scale? I don't really have time to be thrifting regularly, but just in case, where does that rank? The B&S section here and eBay seem great thus far because I can just bookmark/rss searches for specific items that I know fit and check for them weekly or so.
So, thanks for all the help. :)

It seems like the only question you didn't answer yourself is that you would like a ranking of the utility of B&S, ebay, and thrift stores. That's pretty broad. But I'd generally say:
1. B&S
2. Ebay
3. Thrift stores

And it also seems that you'd like a third piece of important advice - to which I would respond -

Focus. Figure out exactly what you want and then ask questions/shop around/until you get it.

collegeguy88

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks. What are some other forums I should check out? I've been looking at MFA on reddit but it doesn't look like you can buy & sell there.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm pretty lazy so I stick with Styleforum. The worst way to build a new wardrobe is to spend a wad of cash all at once. You will have a lot of regrets. Like FLMM said, break it down to a list of things you need then start shopping strategically. Maybe take a few weeks to take stock of the things you like in general, what you currently own and start looking on the what are you wearing right now threads in MC and SW&D and see what gels with you. From there say take $250 and start shopping carefully. I think B&S and ebay are good starts for deals, but i've never been lucky with thrifting. Also, shop sales at stores: Jcrew, RL and many of the websites linked and mentioned on here. This stuff takes time.

One thing to note, a lot of people wear expensive things here, don't let that discourage you. You can use those as inspiration.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Buy Ambrosi trousers..
They're the best in the world.

+1. Another rec for Ambrosi. Salvatore makes great pants that are well worth the money. And he's a really friendly guy, to boot.

Last edited:

collegeguy88

Reaction score

I'm pretty lazy so I stick with Styleforum. The worst way to build a new wardrobe is to spend a wad of cash all at once. You will have a lot of regrets. Like FLMM said, break it down to a list of things you need then start shopping strategically. Maybe take a few weeks to take stock of the things you like in general, what you currently own and start looking on the what are you wearing right now threads in MC and SW&D and see what gels with you. From there say take $250 and start shopping carefully. I think B&S and ebay are good starts for deals, but i've never been lucky with thrifting. Also, shop sales at stores: Jcrew, RL and many of the websites linked and mentioned on here. This stuff takes time.
One thing to note, a lot of people wear expensive things here, don't let that discourage you. You can use those as inspiration.

Awesome post! Thanks. I actually just gave away all my clothes to commit myself to this process, so I have to buy some clothes, and should probably get them shipped overnight, otherwise I'm just going to be naked forever. At least that meets the first two rules: slim fitting and timeless.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

Awesome post! Thanks. I actually just gave away all my clothes to commit myself to this process, so I have to buy some clothes, and should probably get them shipped overnight, otherwise I'm just going to be naked forever. At least that meets the first two rules: slim fitting and timeless.

Is this where you thought you'd wind up in life? Trolling men's fashion forums?

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst thing you can do is buy an entire wardrobe at once. Believe me, you'll be lucky if 10% of your purchases are hits in the first few months. I can't tell you how much stupid **** I bought that doesn't work at all. Now that I've been at this for a year and a half or so, I'm batting around .750. You waste a lot of money in the beginning if you aren't careful. First things first, buy the basics and work your way up from there.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads