Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Okay guys, so i'm pretty new to HERE and fashion. Enlighten me.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by collegeguy88, Feb 9, 2012.

1. collegeguy88

collegeguy88 Well-Known Member

I'm sure you are already pissed the fuck off that I dare ask for newbie help, but let me make a more specific :facepalm: request. If you were to isolate the three most important pieces of advice for men's fashion, what would they be? It seems like #1 is that clothes should fit, #2 might be to focus on timeless style rather than fads, but I haven't gathered the other big ones.

Furthermore, how should I be finding good deals? I simply cannot afford to spend thousands of dollars on clothes on my budget at the moment, so what are the good sources? It looks like these forums are actually really good. Am I wrong there? Are there other good forums out there? Where does eBay rank on that scale? I don't really have time to be thrifting regularly, but just in case, where does that rank? The B&S section here and eBay seem great thus far because I can just bookmark/rss searches for specific items that I know fit and check for them weekly or so.

So, thanks for all the help. :)

2. MrG

MrG Senior member

Man, that's a lot of questions.

I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Buy Ambrosi trousers..

They're the best in the world.

4. Teger

Teger Senior member

the key to looking great is owning 8 pairs of the same shoe.

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Extra points if they're clunky looking.

6. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

It seems like the only question you didn't answer yourself is that you would like a ranking of the utility of B&S, ebay, and thrift stores. That's pretty broad. But I'd generally say:
    1. B&S
    2. Ebay
    3. Thrift stores

And it also seems that you'd like a third piece of important advice - to which I would respond -

Focus. Figure out exactly what you want and then ask questions/shop around/until you get it.

7. collegeguy88

Awesome, thanks. What are some other forums I should check out? I've been looking at MFA on reddit but it doesn't look like you can buy & sell there.

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I'm pretty lazy so I stick with Styleforum. The worst way to build a new wardrobe is to spend a wad of cash all at once. You will have a lot of regrets. Like FLMM said, break it down to a list of things you need then start shopping strategically. Maybe take a few weeks to take stock of the things you like in general, what you currently own and start looking on the what are you wearing right now threads in MC and SW&D and see what gels with you. From there say take $250 and start shopping carefully. I think B&S and ebay are good starts for deals, but i've never been lucky with thrifting. Also, shop sales at stores: Jcrew, RL and many of the websites linked and mentioned on here. This stuff takes time.

One thing to note, a lot of people wear expensive things here, don't let that discourage you. You can use those as inspiration.

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

+1. Another rec for Ambrosi. Salvatore makes great pants that are well worth the money. And he's a really friendly guy, to boot.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

10. collegeguy88

Awesome post! Thanks. I actually just gave away all my clothes to commit myself to this process, so I have to buy some clothes, and should probably get them shipped overnight, otherwise I'm just going to be naked forever. At least that meets the first two rules: slim fitting and timeless.

11. Sander

Sander Senior member

Kant says: Enlighten yourself.

12. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Is this where you thought you'd wind up in life? Trolling men's fashion forums?

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

The worst thing you can do is buy an entire wardrobe at once. Believe me, you'll be lucky if 10% of your purchases are hits in the first few months. I can't tell you how much stupid shit I bought that doesn't work at all. Now that I've been at this for a year and a half or so, I'm batting around .750. You waste a lot of money in the beginning if you aren't careful. First things first, buy the basics and work your way up from there.

14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:bounce2:

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy