• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok, which of you refined expletives just sniped my olive Zegna?!

JohnShaft

Reaction score
Five seconds? Really? I hate you and am going to stomp around like a little girl for...I don't know how long!

It was a lovely olive, 6x2 DB that looked like it had been altered just for my portly self.

I hereby challenge my portly nemesis on the field of honour.

fight[1].gif

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
an olive DB? looks like he mighta just done you a favor there
wink.gif

Poindexter

Reaction score
I agree absoloodle. Sniping is how we avoid bidding wars with idiots. Sellers have told me they hate it when this happens, because the ultimately successful idiot realizes after the fact that he paid twice as much as the piece was worth (because he was too busy massaging his pen0r), and becomes a nonfulfilling buyer.

Just snipe. Don't use a service, it's a piece you want, so be organic. Hand snipe that baby in the last five seconds. Everybody loves you except the sore loser. Skeerew him.

On a distantly related note, you maniacs actually have me (at five feet five) looking at DBs. Christ, the dark side has me.

Aloha,

Poinz

JohnShaft

Reaction score
Well, I already have a bit too much navy and the various greys. I was looking to branch out a bit more in the earth-ish tones.

Besides, I have just a bit more gangster than british royalty in my tastes anyway. lol

Mainly, I'm hacked off because I thought I WAS sniping it!
facepalm.gif
I like to use the last thirty seconds in case of some computer/internet malfunction that might result in a loss.

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Look at it as though they saved you from buying a drab olive colored jacket. Unless of course you're a TV weather man?
Or Jeremy Clarkson. Seriously, when I saw this week's Top Gear and noticed that Jezza was wearing an olive green sportscoat, I thought of this thread.
lol8[1].gif

zerostyle

Reaction score
A question on sniping:

The bid process has 2 screens, the first bid/submit, and then the confirmation.

If you hit the first submit within the remaining time, but then take too long on the followup screen, do you miss out?

(I'm trying to figure out the best timing in the countdown where I can get in at the very last second but also not so late that I'll miss out).

I usually start the process around the 8sec mark. Too soon?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
A question on sniping:

If you hit the first submit within the remaining time, but then take too long on the followup screen, do you miss out?

(I'm trying to figure out the best timing in the countdown where I can get in at the very last second but also not so late that I'll miss out).

Not soon enough for me last night. I was bidding on some zanella wool/cashmere houndstooth pants, I bid $36, after I bid the high bid was $36 and it wasn't me, $37 would have won it so I bid that only to be one second too late. Stupid bid confirmation screen
censored.gif

RangerP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
A question on sniping:

I now use a service to snipe for me... especially when the ending time of the auction is at a very inconvenient time. I got a sweet deal on a pair of shoes a month or so ago where the auction ended at 6pm Eastern on Christmas day.

If you want to do it yourself, what I would suggest is opening 2 tabs or browser windows.

1st window: Stay on the item page and just monitor the bids

2nd window: Place your highest possible bid when there is 30 seconds left. You'll be taken to the confirmation page.

From there, switch back to your 1st window and monitor the time/bids. Switch back with 8 secs left and confirm your bid. No one has time to react when you confirm with 8-6 secs left.

The whole point of sniping is to not get into a bidding war and move the price way too high. Bidding with less then 8 secs left will accomplish that in my experience.

The key is not really the bidding, but managing your emotions when buying. If you can determine the REAL max price that you are willing to pay, then don't be upset if someone pays a bit more than you and gets it. After all, they paid more then you were willing to pay.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plus with sniping it doesn't turn into a personal battle
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads