• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK to wear slip-ons to interview?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it OK to wear a pair of nice black slip-ons to an interview or at the max, with a suit? On my slips, the pant leg covers the area that WOULD have laces, so you can't see that area when standing...making them look the same as lace-ups. So is this OK to do, or are they not formal enough?
worship.gif

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Is it OK to wear a pair of nice black slip-ons to an interview or at the max, with a suit? On my slips, the pant leg covers the area that WOULD have laces, so you can't see that area when standing...making them look the same as lace-ups. So is this OK to do, or are they not formal enough?
worship.gif

If you can't tell the difference, how would anyone know...?
wink.gif

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
If you can't tell the difference, how would anyone know...?
wink.gif

When you sit I suppose, though when walking the lace area probably shows. Suppose it IS noticeable, is it still acceptable?
smile.gif

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
For what type of job are you interviewing?

Say something like an accounting internship, maybe an insurance company during and after college. Not very fashionable folks in general.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Say something like an accounting internship, maybe an insurance company during and after college. Not very fashionable folks in general.

all the more reason NOT to wear slip on's. plain black captoe.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

southbound35

Reaction score

PICT0081-1.jpg

Those shoes don't fly for an accounting or insurance interview.

As mentioned above, black captoe laceups are what you need.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'd actually really like to interview for jobs with attire thats considered "unnacceptable" by SF standards and see how much of it is bullshit.

I go to networking events all the time, the attire is typically a suit and tie, yet i see people with loafers all the time with suits, odd colors, all kinds of SF faux pas that dont matter.

Pocket squares, pinstripes, loafers, ect

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i'd actually really like to interview for jobs with attire thats considered "unnacceptable" by SF standards and see how much of it is bullshit.

I go to networking events all the time, the attire is typically a suit and tie, yet i see people with loafers all the time with suits, odd colors, all kinds of SF faux pas that dont matter.

Pocket squares, pinstripes, loafers, ect

Exactly...for as strict as we are here on SF, how many employers have the knowledge or even the idea to not hire someone if they're wearing a PS, loafers instead of captoes, etc. Do they REALLY care? Has anyone ever had ther attire commented on during or after the interview?
confused.gif

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No many companies won't know exact trends, but they know what fits their culture, and if what you wear deviates too much from that, you probably won't get hired.

I work as an accountant for an insurance company (granted in the real estate development/ management affiliate) but you see the way way certain people dress and you can almost tell what area they work in by their dress. My boss told me you will always see our CEO in a dark suit, white shirt, red tie, and if he want's to go casual he'll wear a blue shirt on Fridays.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
will it cause you to not get hired? probably not. emphasis on probably

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads