• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK to sleep in denim?

corbu

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of 501XX to just try out the dry denim thing (that, and I'm a broke college student
frown.gif
). So far, I've got them feeling pretty soft (or I've just adjusted) and creases are definately starting to form and weather.

However, I dont get to wear them enough (I work in an office that does not allow jeans). Would wearing them at night cause any problems? I want to speed up the wearing as fast as I can. Dark, uniform colored jeans just arent my thing.

Ahaz

Reaction score
It won't cause any problems, except being uncomfortable and maybe lightly staining your sheets. Do you bike or skate? I suck ass at skating, but I go out there to get some exercise and wear on my jeans. A couple of people have been talking about jogging in their jeans, but I don't have the balls to face the weird looks that would get.

Shadow boxing, especially if you throw in some knees, is decent too. Or you could do 100 hindu or unweighted squats every night/morning.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine you could end up with a lot of unnatural creasing if u slept in your jeans all the time, no?

Kewan

Reaction score
I sleep in my RRDS all the time (actually, pass out in them). It may cause unnatural wear as my right thigh has a lot more fading then my left, oh well.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
You can sleep in denim, I guess, but it's not terribly comfortable.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a post on superfuture about someone sleeping in their (tight, I believe) jeans, which somehow twisted one of his testicles so that it swelled up. Presumably, some sort of medical attention was necessary. I cannot attest to the veracity of this story, but it has made me think twice about it. I've tried it because sometimes I was too exhausted to take them off; my legs always overheated, and the fading doesn't develop the same way as with normal wear.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
I'd imagine you could end up with a lot of unnatural creasing if u slept in your jeans all the time, no?
How's it unnatural? Anyway, speaking as someone who's done it more than a few times in the last month, it sucks, but like any clothes, no one's going to stop you. It does help get creases set, but I'd be surprised if it actually caused any substantial wear.
Originally Posted by whoopee
I remember reading a post on superfuture about someone sleeping in their (tight, I believe) jeans, which somehow twisted one of his testicles so that it swelled up. Presumably, some sort of medical attention was necessary. I cannot attest to the veracity of this story, but it has made me think twice about it. I've tried it because sometimes I was too exhausted to take them off; my legs always overheated, and the fading doesn't develop the same way as with normal wear.
I think the moral of the story here is not to wear jeans tight enough to emperil your testicles. Sleeping in jeans will never be comfortable as long as they are jeans, but it's not like you can't do it.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-distressed nuts > distressed denim.

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by corbu
I just bought a pair of 501XX to just try out the dry denim thing (that, and I'm a broke college student
frown.gif
). So far, I've got them feeling pretty soft (or I've just adjusted) and creases are definately starting to form and weather. However, I dont get to wear them enough (I work in an office that does not allow jeans). Would wearing them at night cause any problems? I want to speed up the wearing as fast as I can. Dark, uniform colored jeans just arent my thing.

Then I'd suggest just getting a different pair of jeans, or perhaps do some normal activity that speeds up the fading, like bicycling. To actually sleep with ones jeans on has got to be the most extreme case of fashion victim-ness I've heard in a long time.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I remember reading a post on superfuture about someone sleeping in their (tight, I believe) jeans, which somehow twisted one of his testicles so that it swelled up. Presumably, some sort of medical attention was necessary. I cannot attest to the veracity of this story, but it has made me think twice about it.
hahaha! I posted that--------it happened to my friend whilst on tour. His jeans were tight, though. maybe you'd be okay if you wear your jeans loose, but the risk is rather not worth the reward.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What risk could they're be if they're not tight? They're just pants. I don't recommend it because it sucks, but it's hardly dangerous.

PunctualAlex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Babar
Then I'd suggest just getting a different pair of jeans, or perhaps do some normal activity that speeds up the fading, like bicycling.

To actually sleep with ones jeans on has got to be the most extreme case of fashion victim-ness I've heard in a long time.

Does biking really speed up the fading? I know your legs rub, but I only spend 10 minutes biking somewhere instead of a half-hour walking there... maybe if I had time for joyriding instead of just commuting...
Sorry if this is a derail but I'd love more info on this bikes = fades thing...

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
hahaha! I posted that--------it happened to my friend whilst on tour. His jeans were tight, though. maybe you'd be okay if you wear your jeans loose, but the risk is rather not worth the reward.

when your on tour, there are many reasons why your testicles might swell up. sleeping with jeans is usually the least likely of these reasons...
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads