• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ok, so who makes a completely soft shouldered overcoat avail in NYC?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys--

I'd like to buy a new navy blue cashmere (or wool+cashmere) overcoat when I get to NYC on the 24th-- would like to find one with no padding, shirt-construction shoulders. Any recommendations? I'll be back again on 24 November, but not sure if that is enough time to have something made. Would like to wear the coat, mid thigh length, with or without a suit.

thanks! counting the days till the NYC trip!!

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are extremely demanding. I think no NY tailors would satisfied with the requirement. Plus why shirt shoulder on overcoats?

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
The Attolini shop on Madison might have something that fits your description

Last edited:

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, don't think anyone can make something for me in four weeks-- probably have to go off the rack. I was wondering about Seize Sur Vingt, maybe? Boglioli sartorial? other?

Attolini might be outta my price range-- I'm hoping for around $3000 - $3500

You are extremely demanding. I think no NY tailors would satisfied with the requirement. Plus why shirt shoulder on overcoats?

Last edited:

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
If you really want to get it made for you, Ercole's might be able to do it for you but they'd probably have to have the fabric on hand and you'd have to be around for fittings which may not be feasible for you. PatrickBooth has a coat from them with unpadded shoulders I believe.

Thinking a little harder, there is a store on Madison and 51st called Pravda that sells Sartoria Partenopea. That will be a hit or miss kind of trip though.

Your best bet otherwise might be all of the usual NYC suspects -- Bergdorf, Barneys, Polo, Davide Cenci, Paul Stuart, et al.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out De Corato and Borelli. Maybe easiest just to call them.

The shirt shoulder and price point are tight restrictions. If you loosen one of them, you will have more options.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bespoke, but I have a lightweight Lardini suit that's totally unpadded in the shoulders. Feels like wearing a shirt...or as someone here on SF put it so well, "Cardigan with lapels". Maybe check out some of their suits.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am assuming that raglan sleeves wouldn't meet your requirements.
If so, I have a Burberry in wool/cashmere. Picked it up in Barney's
years ago. It has no padding. If you are willing to go bespoke or
MTM, Winston Tailors (Chipp) should be able to satisfy you.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good suggestions! thanks, i will def check out De Corato, Pravda, (and...is there still a borrelli store in the city?), in addition to the department stores. Lardini might be just the thing, too, if i can find their stuff in the city. I think i'm willing to go higher on price to get this one right-- hopefully i can pull this off for $5,000 plus tax or less. I'm planning to sell a few things when i get back to the USA for good....whenever that might be, in the new year.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
De Corato was the old Borelli store. A new Borelli store opened up relatively recently on Madison.

Kiton has their own store too in a beautiful old mansion. Loro Piana and Bruno Cuccinelli also have their own retail stores but are generally $$$$.

BTW if you are willing to spend $5k, consider taking your time and have it made.

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus, dude - why in the world would you spend $5K on an OTR overcoat??

Go to Beckenstein's - choose from dozens of cashmere overcoatings - buy a length and take it to Ercole. He'll do it in a month, provided you let him know your timing / schedule beforehand.

Much better product for $2,500 less.

Last edited:

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke is not always the answer.

If you buy RTW, have the item ship to you may save you a good sum of $$$

hip_priest

Reaction score
I bought a coat very similar to what you described at Borrelli in August - navy blue, 100% cashmere, no padding on the shoulders. It's very light to wear. I don't know what they have in stock now, but it may be worth giving them a ring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads