• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok, more shoe polishing questions

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(1) The guy at the shoe store said that a wax based polish is not as good for your shoes as a "cream." My first question is whether Kiwi Wax Polish contains both the superior shining properties of wax and the leather moisturizing properties of a cream. If not, how do you correctly balance the amount of cream and wax that you put on a shoe during a given month, year, etc.?

(2) Should you shine brand new shoes? I'd like to at least give the toe caps the spit shine that A. Harris detailed (thanks, Andrew, it worked like a charm.). Is it safe, recommended, etc. t at least give a brush shine to brand new shoes? In addition, is Kiwi Wax Polish the correct application for brand new shoes.

Thanks.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cream polish provides moisture. It's good to polish your shoes with cream once in a while to restore the leather. It won't leave as bright of a finish, but after you use the cream you can go ahead and cover it with wax.

It's good to polish new shoes. It helps to protect them. I don't think anyone's had a problem with anything from Kiwi.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, should I use a cream base, and then go ahead with the spit shine using Kiwi? Or does Kiwi provide the moisture of a cream AND the finish of a wax (I'm confused on this score because of Kiwi's advertising claim on several websites that it "nourishes" the leather, which I understand is something that a wax certainly doesn't do).

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the cream first, then spit shine with wax. Maybe Andrew (Harris) can say for sure.

I'm not so sure about the marketing claims.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use three products - Allen Edmonds cleaner/conditioner, also shoe cream and shoe wax in appropriate colors. I use the cleaner/conditioner every few times I wear them - it keeps the leather soft, cuts down on polish buildup and actually leaves a very good shine. It is a nuetral color so it's easy to apply. I use cream only occasionally, usually when I need to cover over scuff marks. I use several coats of wax polish before I wear the shoes for the first time - this is VERY important. It seals the shoes, otherwise they will spot very easily and those spots will be there forever, under every coat you ever put on the shoe. If the shoe has been on the shelf for a very long time, you might want to apply some conditioner before you use the wax. I don't think wax does much to feed the leather.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Johnnynormam was thinking the same thing I am. I came here to ask that same question today. I was told the same thing yesterday when I went to pick up some Allen Edmonds Carnuaba wax -- that wax clogs the pores of the leather.

So A. Harris, to be perfectly clear, you recommend:
1.Occasionally coat shoes first with AE shoe cleaner/conditioner ( I use it as well) before waxing.

2. regular routine of wax.

3. Use cream occasionally to cover scuff marks and such.

I guess that by using AE shoe conditioner and occasional dabs of cream, you treat the leather and don't need to wory about wax buildup that would cause damage, right?

Now, another question: Should I use neutral wax for my C&J handgrade shoes in antique tan?

Also: Is Kiwi inherently superior to say, the AE Carnuaba wax? Or is wax wax.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wax polish DOES NOT clog the pores of leather - that is done quite nicely by the numerous coats of dyes, chromium, etc. during the tanning and finishing process. There is not a manufacturer out there who does not polish every pair of shoes before it leaves the factory. This is done with wax and buffing wheels that burnish the topcoat much more than you can get with a brush or nylon. Of all the factories that I have been in, from here to Italy, the process is the same. Cream polish is relatively new to the mass-market and has provided a boost to sales for this struggling industry. It is cheaper to make, more convenient to use (less messy for the normal guy), and able to packaged to a higher price than the traditional tins of wax. Kiwi products are perfectly fine, but I feel that Lincoln Stain Wax is the best on the market.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wax polish DOES NOT clog the pores of leather - that is done quite nicely by the numerous coats of dyes, chromium, etc. during the tanning and finishing process.  There is not a manufacturer out there who does not polish every pair of shoes before it leaves the factory.  This is done with wax and buffing wheels that burnish the topcoat much more than you can get with a brush or nylon.  Of all the factories that I have been in, from here to Italy, the process is the same.  Cream polish is relatively new to the mass-market and has provided a boost to sales for this struggling industry.  It is cheaper to make, more convenient to use (less messy for the normal guy), and able to packaged to a higher price than the traditional tins of wax.  Kiwi products are perfectly fine, but I feel that Lincoln Stain Wax is the best on the market.
Rider, what practical role do you see cream polish having in shoe care? I generally don't use it because I know that wax polish protects the leather from stains/spots/scuffs, and I don't believe cream polishes do that, at least not as effectively.

The only time I use cream polish is on shoes that have a color difficult to match with the readily available wax polishes. Even then, I just use it as a color coat over scuffs, then top it with a few layers of neutral wax polish.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I feel it's for the guys who don't want to put much effort into polishing shoes and who really just want to clean them up. It is easier to use - and afterall, easier is sellable. I suppose most just want to clean them up, not carry a bright shine.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmmm, I always thought that a cream shine kept the leather moisturized and helped prevent too much waxy buildup. As such, I more or less try to alternate between cream and wax. You're telling me that I'm wasting my time with cream, and that there's no advantage over a quality wax? Also, is this the AE shoe cleaner/conditioner that people are recommending? https://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp....slEQ%3D Thanks.

adirondaki

Reaction score
Just took a look at the Cura products.  Lay aside the shoe cream; anyone know what the difference is between the carnauba wax and the premium polish?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads