• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK I am an Apple fan, but this sucks....

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Apple glitch stains the reputation

First it was swelling batteries, now some Apple computer users are reporting a very different problem, with their pristine white MacBook's displaying yellowish stains in the area around the keyboard where their hands rest.

The MacBook was introduced to the market early this year and, while there are several references on Apple's own user forums to the stains, a number of blogs devoted to flaws in Apple hardware have complained that the company has blocked or closed some of these discussions.

A website devoted to the problem of MacBook stains claims that Apple locked down the first thread from its Discussions website after it attracted hundreds of replies and more than 33,000 views.

One forum topic entitled "Yellow Discoloration" on the Apple website displays a large number of complaints about the problem. However it is clearly marked above the discussion that Apple has locked the topic, meaning that further replies are not allowed.

On the original post, an Apple discussions host has written: "Unless otherwise noted, your Submission should either be a technical support question or a technical support answer."

In the locked discussion MacBook users complain that any attempts to clean off the stains have met with failure.

"My MacBook is three weeks old and looks as though I've been using it for three years and rubbing my hands in turmeric each day (okay, a slight exaggeration). Everything else about my MacBook has been fantastic, and I'm really, really happy with it; but I am appalled that it gets discoloured so easily," wrote one forum participant.

Another said: "It looks like heat maybe causing the plastic on the palm rest to discolour. If Apple or anyone knows how to remove this or prevent it from becoming worse it would be good to hear."

Many users have also reported that the laptop gives off an extreme amount of heat and the company even warns on its website that it is possible to sustain burns if the unit is rested on a lap for prolonged periods.

Apple's reasoning is that the MacBook is a notebook rather than a laptop, and so is designed to work on hard surfaces.

However some users have also linked heating of the units to problems with some MacBook Pro batteries, another flaw recently highlighted by Apple customers on the company's discussion forums.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/laptop...174185296.html
i think i mostly hate the fact that when brought up on their own fora, they locked the topic. that sucks.

Slim, go your hardest, Im on your side this time.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just another business decision. Nothing new.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
This is why it's good to wait for the 2nd gen of any new hardware. You knew there had to be *something*

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Whats really funny is that this isn't even a new problem. Macs have been discoloring for YEARS.
Apple has been denying that there are problems with their products for YEARS. They have been shutting people up with dissenting opinions for YEARS...

Where have you guys been?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, Mapple.
confused.gif

Jon.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, Apple has put the lockdown on a bunch of discussion of their business practices and problems with their products. One notable case involved an Apple tech on Livejournal who spilled his guts on how badly they rip people off as a matter of course and policy. IIRC Apple threatened to sue Livejournal, got the blog shut down, found out who the guy was and fired him.

And you thought Microsoft was evil... check how many "MS sucks" websites are out there. They don't care.

tommib

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Yeah, Apple has put the lockdown on a bunch of discussion of their business practices and problems with their products. One notable case involved an Apple tech on Livejournal who spilled his guts on how badly they rip people off as a matter of course and policy. IIRC Apple threatened to sue Livejournal, got the blog shut down, found out who the guy was and fired him.

And you thought Microsoft was evil... check how many "MS sucks" websites are out there. They don't care.

But everything we pay money for is a rip off anyway. I bet the majority of customers who've bought a Mac and love it don't feel as cheated as if they had bought a crummy Windows machine instead.

metaphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Whats really funny is that this isn't even a new problem. Macs have been discoloring for YEARS.
Apple has been denying that there are problems with their products for YEARS. They have been shutting people up with dissenting opinions for YEARS...

Where have you guys been?

My PowerBook developed black spots on the metal exactly where my hands rest about a year and a half after I purchased it. This sounds like the exact same problem.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
they should put a warning on Macs geared towards asian purchasers

OMG! I feel guilty for it but that is too damn funny
laugh.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly Jobs would make a more purely evil Bill Gates - actually my nightmare would be comprised of Mapplesoft. If they ever partner closely or merge, it will be the end of the world.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tommib
But everything we pay money for is a rip off anyway. I bet the majority of customers who've bought a Mac and love it don't feel as cheated as if they had bought a crummy Windows machine instead.
I have no idea about that, and I don't think that "everything we pay for is a ripoff". I'm talking about the outrageous overcharging for fixing things and installing parts, and not covering known issues under warranty... the ipod battery scandal was a good example. Apple was charging like 4x what the battery cost just because they could.

Windows support people can't get away with that stuff as easily because Windows boxes and parts are subject to the free market. Apple is a controlled economy. It's a commie computer! What are you, a damn commie?
tongue.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics