• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok, dry denim time

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have decided to finally make the plunge in to dry denim. Hard to believe that only a year or so ago I had NO jeans, and had not worn any for maybe 15 years. Now I have four pairs and am looking at the dry deal. So, what would a good starter be? I received yesterday from Revolve a pair of RRDS, 31x32 but they were not that tight on the waist (I hate loose waistbands). Sent them back. I'd prefer a bootcut, even if slight, relatively slim fit but no nutcrackers. SHould I try the 30x32 RRDS? What other options are there (preferably under US$200 if that is even (possible)? Edit: WHile I am not necessarily the cleverest monkey in the zoo, I know how to use the search function relatively well. However, I'd appreciate any advice, thank you
smile.gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
30x32 RRDS should be perfect, as far as I can tell.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
30x32 RRDS should be perfect, as far as I can tell.
Any suggested retailers, Sauce? 265 is a little, well, expensive
blush.gif
(could put that towards a pair of C&Js
tongue.gif
)

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Ah, I had assumed that you could just exchange them via Revolve. Oops. Honestly, I'm not sure how to get hold of RRDS in the US for less than $200. I believe there was a European website selling Nudies for less that didn't charge VAT and somehow managed to avoid customs fees (maybe they mark the package as a gift or something?), but I can't remember the name.... Sorry, I know that's not much help. You can probably search it, but it might be a little bit difficult. At any rate, the price in Europe is < $200, so if you know someone who can hook you up there, you should be good to go.

tangerine

Reaction score
If you could go one-wash, and possibly spend a little more, 5EP bootcut is a great pair. I would think the 30 waist would work.

American Rag had 5EP on sale a few months ago, probably gone by now but you could check. They also come up for sale lightly worn here and on superfuture from time to time.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Ah, I had assumed that you could just exchange them via Revolve. Oops. Honestly, I'm not sure how to get hold of RRDS in the US for less than $200. I believe there was a European website selling Nudies for less that didn't charge VAT and somehow managed to avoid customs fees (maybe they mark the package as a gift or something?), but I can't remember the name.... Sorry, I know that's not much help. You can probably search it, but it might be a little bit difficult. At any rate, the price in Europe is < $200, so if you know someone who can hook you up there, you should be good to go.

I am exchanging them as we speak; however, I am really reconsidering if I want to plop all that money down for denim. Shoes, hell yeah, but I am not a denimgeek (at least not yet)
biggrin.gif

I doubt I can find them back home in Limassol; maybe if I end up visiting Bristol (UK) I will find a shop, I don't know.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Any suggested retailers, Sauce? 265 is a little, well, expensive
blush.gif

(could put that towards a pair of C&Js
tongue.gif
)

APC Rescue.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out the forum on mynudies.com. You'll see a ton of new stuff on there for a decent discount. There's a guy selling 29x32 RRDS for 210, presumably negotiable. Keep in mind the 29" will stretch to 31" after some wearing. http://www.mynudies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1727

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Check out the forum on mynudies.com. You'll see a ton of new stuff on there for a decent discount. There's a guy selling 29x32 RRDS for 210, presumably negotiable. Keep in mind the 29" will stretch to 31" after some wearing.

http://www.mynudies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1727

Will I even be able to squeeze in to them though? I don't know.

MC#4: thanks for the recommendation - I will look in to those, too!

P.s. anyone know anything about Yanuk? Never heard of the company.

Reaction score
If you are dead set on RRDS, I haven't seen them cheaper than www.oipolloi.com; they are great entry-level flares
devil.gif
; they hige pretty easily so its good for impatient types. AND they look good on almost everyone------even before the first wash. There are deals to be had on buying/selling here and on Supermarket of that OTHER site... 6MT has a bunch of 66 and 55 sugar canes for rock-bottom prices HERE AND there's a 50% off everything but selvage at context to include Nudie, ALD, Crate, Iron Army, Edwin, Corpus, Lee Premium, and Stitch's. I'd suggest Atelier La Durance for quality denim, though I'd do some searching to be sure that it is a cut that appeals to you.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
If you are dead set on RRDS, I haven't seen them cheaper than www.oipolloi.com; they are a great entry-level flares
devil.gif
; they hige pretty easily so its good for impatient types. AND they look good on almost everyone------even before the first wash. There are deals to be had on buying/selling here and on Supermarket of that OTHER site...

Don't you mean "flarez"?
tongue.gif
Wait, other site? Oooh, you mean AAAC?
biggrin.gif
Thanks, will check that other site, also. Edit: Woah, Sugarcanes... damn. Hmm, tempting. Need to work out the size crap first. Ngrh...

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to that store Context, and it's a great place. They have RRDG, which at 50% off won't be bad. Also, do you have any credit cards that bill to your work address? I ask because you can set up a new account at Revolve to get the 30% off for first time buyers (it didn't sound like you'd done that this time). The two sites I'd recommend looking at are www.kitchener.ch and www.volls.de. You'd have to visit Yahoo finance or wsj.com to see the current exchange rates and which prices are better, but both have RRDS for less than the States. Volls is only in German, but seemed pretty easy to navigate (especially if you speak a little bit of German). Good luck.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Go for the canes and buy your true size.

Ah, I see. They tend to shrink down a bit. Hmmmm..

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh... this flarez thing is never going to go away, is it
smile.gif

Anyway, I would go for the RRDS in the 30, although I think that you are crazy for not wanting your pants loose at the waist (I am currently wearing 29 APC New Standards, tightest jeans in my rotation, but could easily go down to a 27 and still button them up pretty comfortably (the largest part of my hips measures 31 inches right now.) I wear a 32 in the RRDS, and they are so comfortable... They are about as tight as the RRDS shown in the Nudie bootlet and tighter than shown in the fit guide though.

If you use the discount code JT at revolve, you get 15% off. Not huge, but hey, $40 is $40. As a first pair of dry denim goes, the RRDS is a no-brainer - the fit looks good on pretty much everybody, from skinny dudes to meatheads, you see wear quite quickly, so you don't get discouraged (unlike, say 5EP's, which fade very slowly), and the denim gets soft very quickly (unlike APC's, which take longer to break in) so you don't feel like you're wearing cardboard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads