• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok, dry denim time

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Sigh... this flarez thing is never going to go away, is it
smile.gif

Anyway, I would go for the RRDS in the 30, although I think that you are crazy for not wanting your pants loose at the waist (I am currently wearing 29 APC New Standards, tightest jeans in my rotation, but could easily go down to a 27 and still button them up pretty comfortably (the largest part of my hips measures 31 inches right now.) I wear a 32 in the RRDS, and they are so comfortable... They are about as tight as the RRDS shown in the Nudie bootlet and tighter than shown in the fit guide though.

If you use the discount code JT at revolve, you get 15% off. Not huge, but hey, $40 is $40. As a first pair of dry denim goes, the RRDS is a no-brainer - the fit looks good on pretty much everybody, from skinny dudes to meatheads, you see wear quite quickly, so you don't get discouraged (unlike, say 5EP's, which fade very slowly), and the denim gets soft very quickly (unlike APC's, which take longer to break in) so you don't feel like you're wearing cardboard.

Let me rephrase that; I am a little obsessive over bunching at the waist; feels uncomfortable to me to have any bunching there (I always wear a belt). I know, I know, jeans are suppossed to be comfortable. Remember though, I never claimed I was normal (or sane for that matter
biggrin.gif
). Plus I tend to fluctuate a bit, sometimes by several centimetres (my weight ranges between 155 and 160 lbs). Well, I think I wear half to a full size larger than you, Fok; the info you gave me helps, thanks. Damn it...decisions decisions, decisions...

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Regarding the APC Rescues: unless things have changed, the smallest size Rescue is a 29. That's APC sizing, and a brand new (ie pre-stretching) pair of 29 Rescues were looser on me than my (loose-to-begin-with) size 31 RRDGs are right now, after stretching. A 29 Rescue is probably at least equivalent to a 32 RRDS. So while in general I would definitely greenlight the APCs, I don't think they'll work for skalogre.

Also, LA Guy wearz flarez 4L.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Regarding the APC Rescues: unless things have changed, the smallest size Rescue is a 29. That's APC sizing, and a brand new (ie pre-stretching) pair of 29 Rescues were looser on me than my (loose-to-begin-with) size 31 RRDGs are right now, after stretching. A 29 Rescue is probably at least equivalent to a 32 RRDS. So while in general I would definitely greenlight the APCs, I don't think they'll work for skalogre.

Also, LA Guy wearz flarez 4L.

Wow. Good to know, thanks.

Stelios

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
DGP just picked up a pair of RR Greycast for a really good deal. If you don't mind the non-selvage thing, the Greycast at this price is a bargain.

http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=17294

See, I don't know if I should care or not about the selvedge thing... I like the colour of the RRDS though.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just occurred to me: I understand that the denim on the dry Ola is lighter than the RRDS. How do those stand though long term use? Is that a serious enough difference in quality and durability?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Just occurred to me: I understand that the denim on the dry Ola is lighter than the RRDS. How do those stand though long term use? Is that a serious enough difference in quality and durability?

The Ola is non-selvage, probably the same denim as the RR Greycast. As far as durability, you probably won't see a difference. They do fade faster than the RRDS though.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Here's a relative durability scale for ya: [------RRDG--------Ola---RRDS---] Here's a construction quality scale for ya (all the same): [-------------------RRDG-----------] Ola RRDS

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Here's a relative durability scale for ya:

[------RRDG--------Ola---RRDS---]

Here's a construction quality scale for ya (all the same):

[-------------------RRDG-----------]
Ola
RRDS

What's the high end, and what's the low end, out of curiosity? Also, I have the RRDS and RRDG, and my dad (yes, you heard me, my dad) has the Olas in dry. I saw them when I was over there right after he got them, and I could swear that the denim on those is lighter than the RRDG, but I could be wrong.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
What's the high end, and what's the low end, out of curiosity? Also, I have the RRDS and RRDG, and my dad (yes, you heard me, my dad) has the Olas in dry. I saw them when I was over there right after he got them, and I could swear that the denim on those is lighter than the RRDG, but I could be wrong.

The high end is on the right. The Ola denim is lighter, but from experience, it's also more durable than the RRDG. My best guess is that the cotton used is at fault for this disparity. The RRDGs fade quickly and also fray much quicker than the others.

The most durable jeans I've ever seen are Rag&Bones. Man, I wore mine into the ground and saw practically NO fading and absolutely 0 fraying in any area, even my extremely brutal wallet didn't put a dent in the RB11 denim.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
The Ola is non-selvage, probably the same denim as the RR Greycast. As far as durability, you probably won't see a difference. They do fade faster than the RRDS though.

No, the Ola is lighter denim that the RRDG. I disagree with Brian here. I think that the Ola and RRDG denim is about the same in terms of durability. He has issues with them
smile.gif

Yudi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
If you are dead set on RRDS, I haven't seen them cheaper than www.oipolloi.com; they are great entry-level flares
devil.gif
; they hige pretty easily so its good for impatient types. AND they look good on almost everyone------even before the first wash.

Just as an aside, I went into the oipolloi shop today and spent quite a while talking to the dude there about Nudies and dry denim in general. He said they'd sold out pretty quickly from their last batch of RRDS but would be getting a new shipment in in a week or two. If you register on the site they send you an email as soon a pair in your size becomes available. They cost about 100 pounds which is about 175 dollars and shipping is only 15 dollars or so.

He also pulled out a pair of apcs to show me and they looked great. Really nice store, good service. Well worth ordering through them I would say.

Felix

Reaction score
Any suggested retailers, Sauce? 265 is a little, well, expensive
blush.gif

(could put that towards a pair of C&Js
tongue.gif
)

I think this is the cheapest option for you buying nudie but they don't have a RRDS right now....http://europe.zoovillage.com
or volls.de
nudie jeans are great!!

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't think volls or zoovillage ship to the states

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads