OK Cupid

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Nouveau Pauvre, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Discuss.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

uh, discuss what?

3. Nouveau Pauvre

4. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

When I'm single I go on there. A few gems out there.

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I've never really told anyone this, but I went on a date with a girl from OK Cupid about 2.5 years ago. The date was ok, she was pretty average looking and had interests in line with the average young American female. Didn't really use the account after that as I found I started meeting more women at bars, parties, through friends etc.

It worked for my cousin though, has been with the same girl for the past 3.5 years now.

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I don't see how this could work for me. How am I possibly supposed to score with chicks if they are stone sober and looking at my pics in the light of day? I need the assistance of copious amounts of alcohol and soft lighting if I'm to get lucky.

7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Magician, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you really into pickup? What are you doing wasting your time on OKC?

8. Nouveau Pauvre

Magician, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you really into pickup? What are you doing wasting your time on OKC?
    Umm I really like dating though I don't think that's what your referring to? I definitely don't do that pick up artist shit.... I have never gone on a date with OK Cupid but its really fun to have a few drinks and play around with. I got in to it because a lot of people in the "hype" Baltimore scene use it.

9. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

I think that the OKTrends blog is also super-interesting. Those guys have access to tons of raw data and they present some interesting findings--although most of the conclusions they draw are pretty intuitive, the numbers are interesting.

I actually first discovered it from a post on SF.

10. mink31

mink31 Senior member

I've gone on several dates through OkC and met my current F buddy on there. The women I've met have been for the most part crazy. The thing with online dating is that it puts up a significant barrier to the "first face-to-face encounter" that's the essence of normally meeting someone. In that sense, it's a bit of a time waster when you have to message X number of times back and forth before actually meeting someone IRL. I go on the site when I'm bored and chat with randoms every once in a while.

11. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I'd say 75% of women on there are fatter than their pics.

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Umm I really like dating though I don't think that's what your referring to? I definitely don't do that pick up artist shit....
    For some reason I thought you did, not sure why I had that impression. Could've been an unconscious association with your once-in-a-while mentioning of M:TG (strong correlation between those hobbies, in my experience). Made me secretly dislike you so, well, the better for everyone. [​IMG] As for OKC, I didn't really meet anybody worthwile when I was on it, though a friend of mine met her long-term boyfriend.

13. otc

otc Senior member

I'd say 75% of women on there are fatter than their pics.

New game:

Post pictures of your potential dates here and I will photoshop them fatter for you...then it will be a nice surprise if their photo was accurate.

14. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

The women I've met have been for the most part crazy. The thing with online dating is that it puts up a significant barrier to the "first face-to-face encounter" that's the essence of normally meeting someone. In that sense, it's a bit of a time waster when you have to message X number of times back and forth before actually meeting someone IRL.

Agreed. The site should work 'in theory', but it doesn't really unless you get lucky. A lot of the girls on that site just put up profiles to get complements on how cute they are, but in reality have no intention of meeting anyone. Some assume that every guy who messages them is a serial killer, and others are hyper-judgmental of what guys put on their profile as if it was a complete analysis of his personality. I've gotten a couple of normal dates of the site with some hot/average chicks, but it took a lot of effort... and I currently have a couple of fat chicks stalking me on there too.

Guys aren't very good at making profiles, let's be honest. I suppose if I had the time I'd read a bunch of women's magazines and find out what the stereotypical 'hot guy' profile looks like with 'nice' self descriptions. If you were to then put in a lot of effort searching around I bet it could work out.

Like others have sad, beware of incognito fat... the site doesn't let you search by bodytype (there would be a fat chick revolt if they did).

15. horndog

horndog Senior member

Where I come from we call 'em SIFs, and the worst are the SIF Lords.

Secret
    Internet
    Fatties.

Beware the SIF Lord.