• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oiled Coat for Casual Use- Bad Idea?

wsblend

Reaction score
The reason I ask is because the replica of the Barbour Beaufort I just received from Lands' End smells oily.

Will the oil soak or transfer into any absorbent upholstery or furniture that I sit on?

Has anyone had any experience with using this type of coat in this manner?

(No, my search didn't generate any answers to this question.)

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My international smelled pretty waxy for a while... but I've either gotten used to it or it's dissipated. Never had any experiences with it soaking into anything though.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wsblend
The reason I ask is because the replica of the Barbour Beaufort I just received from Lands' End smells oily.

Will the oil soak or transfer into any absorbent upholstery or furniture that I sit on?

No experience with Land's End but with Barbour's yes they do smell a bit when new, although this disipates with time. Brushing against fabric isn't likely to be a problem with transfer but prolonged contact with fabric will cause transfer. Don't wear them on car journeys if you've got fabric seats. I wouldn't wear mine sitting on the sofa either. Oh, and watch out if you use a canvas bag!

wsblend

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far but a few more would be good.

I bought this coat for running errands, attending community college classes, going to the library, etc. in a California suburb, where I live.

I'm starting to think I bought the wrong coat for such purposes and if I did, that I should return it soon so someone can use it for what it was made for.

videocrew

Reaction score
I have that jacket, it doesn't transfer any as far as I can tell and the smell goes away quickly. Hang it up on the porch for a few days or something. Calm down man, it's a very nice jacket, you didn't make some horrible decision.

Beetleything

Reaction score

Wear it out in the rain a few times.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far but a few more would be good.

I bought this coat for running errands, attending community college classes, going to the library, etc. in a California suburb, where I live.

I'm starting to think I bought the wrong coat for such purposes and if I did, that I should return it soon so someone can use it for what it was made for.

I can't see that it's a problem. You don't tend to wear coats sitting on sofas (and as I said it's only prolonged contact that could be an issue). Just take it off if you're traveling in a car with fabric seats for more than a few minutes. It's as much the abrasion of a waxed surface against rough fibers as anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads