• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil drip on my Vass suede chukkhas!

gam29

Reaction score
Any advice on how to get an oil stain out from brown suede?

I was eating pizza at work the other day, and a glob of grease dripped off the pizza and right onto my brown suede chukkha Vass that I just bought off the forum

any help would be appreciated! i have a cobbler who is good at these sorts of things, but i'm wondering if there's any secrets out there that they won't know about.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put talc on it as soon as it happens.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
google "fullers earth" and put it on the stain. Should absorb most/all of it. works better than talc.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gam29
this happened a little while ago...would this still work?
should, but you'd have to leave it on for a few days. note, apply it thickly, it's an absorbent clay.

gam29

Reaction score
do you have to rub it into the suede or just put a thick layer of it on top of the shoe where the stain is? i'm just unsure of how exactly to apply this stuff to the shoe.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I damn near destroyed my brand new Ralph Lauren Suede loafers. Brought them to a good cobbler in NYC to have them "Dry-cleaned" as they put it. Came back looking new. If you don't know what you are doing I suggest this.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gam29
do you have to rub it into the suede or just put a thick layer of it on top of the shoe where the stain is? i'm just unsure of how exactly to apply this stuff to the shoe.

It will all be ok - I promise.

Don't rub anything until after the stain has been thoroughly blotted up (rule number one of any stain removal.) Rubbing will only push the oil further into the suede.

Between now and when to actually treat the stain wrap a clean white cotton rag tightly around the shoe/stain. This might absorb some of the oil.

Since they are Vass I personally would take them to have them cleaned. Not sure I'd be comfortable messing with them myself. But the truth be told the cobbler will just use some spray on drycleaning solution more likely than not. They'll turn out fine (as long as there were no 'staining agents' such as tomato sauce involved.) Even then a pigmented stain can often be removed and certainly can be died over as a last resort.

If you do use fuller's earth or talc just push it into the affected area as much as possible and rub only lightly as needed to get it to contact the leather. This sort of treatment may require more than one application.

Hope the pizza was terrific - as it's painful to see your 'children' injured isn't it?
laugh.gif

gam29

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. i ended up sending them out to one of the two cobblers I use (one is better with dying/stain removal and applying topy soles; the other is better at flush metal toe caps and resoling). they look pretty good now, but it would be good to have something to remove day to day stains like water drops or other things that may discolor the suede.

^^who is your cobbler in nyc?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn. This just happened to me. Olive oil.

Got the talc on it now. Hope it works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads