• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ohio State Linebacker Repeatedly Taunted With Racial Slurs. Relax, guys, it was just "cracker".

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...lls-foul-on-race-baiting-Ga?urn=ncaaf-wp12427

Keep it classy Gators!

Buckeye linebacker calls foul on race-baiting Gators
By Graham Watson

Trash talking is as old as football itself. A player baiting another player with a taunt or threat is usually par for the course during any game, especially a game between rivals or with championship significance.

So, it was no surprise that Monday's Gator Bowl between Florida and Ohio State — two teams that have loved Urban Meyer — had a little more vitriol than usual. What was surprising was the type of caustic comments being said.

Ohio State linebacker Tyler Moeller said Florida players hurled racial slurs at him throughout the game and that that sparked some of the chippiness during the 24-17 Florida win.

"They're classless. That's the way I'd put it," Moeller said, according to Marcus Hartman from Buckeye Sports Bulletin. "I've never seen more people swing at our players and call us racial slurs. I've never been called a 'cracker' more in my life than I have today. So I don't really have much respect for them in terms of that but they're a good team. They came out and outplayed us today."
I'll be the first to admit I've never heard a player complain about this in terms of reverse racism (which is still just racism) and really, you rarely hear about this type of thing at all on the collegiate level, though it probably exists. I'm sure there was a slew of unsavory things said on that football field, but who knew the "C-word" was still a racial slur that anyone used?

I'm not trying to make light of the situation, but I thought it went out of style after comedian Chris Rock ran the slur into the ground during his HBO special in 1999. The word is probably as relevant now as some of the words used in the infamous 1975 "Saturday Night Live" skit "Racist Word Association Interview" with Chevy Chase and Richard Pryor.

I do wonder what other things he and other players were called and what they might have yelled back? I'm sure there was some profanity dropped that probably drew more anger — and some colorful rebuttal — than the "C-word."

Ohio State defensive back Travis Howard, who is from Miami, told Hartman that that kind of trash talk is common in the state of Florida.
It's interesting that in other leagues, especially soccer leagues where there are many different ethnicities on one field, this kind of stuff is severely punished. Unfortunately, this will probably go relatively unnoticed.

Moeller actually doesn't have the best luck in the state of Florida. In 2009 while vacationing with his family, Moeller was punched in a Florida bar and suffered a skull fracture and a serious brain injury. Doctors told him he'd never play football again, but he returned to the field a year later.

Having played football and basketball in Florida, I can attest that that "cracker" is still very, very, very much in use. It never bothered me much though, I kind of embraced it. "White boy" though, just the way it was said, always got under my skin a little.

tullytra

Reaction score
It's annoying how the author uses the term "reverse-racism," even though he claims it is still just racism. Well if it's racism, just call it racism. White people can be subject to racism. There needn't be an adjustment of the term just because it happens to a white person. Does the author truly believe that there aren't racist things, both black-white and white-black, said on the field?

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like most of the UF fans I run into are drunkard boors. Seems to run in the ethically challenged Gator program. Oh well.

Ironic that "cracker" is viewed as an insult, because Florida crackers were resourceful pioneers.

DAVIE, Fla., May 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- "Florida Crackers: The Cattlemen and Cowboys of Florida", produced by the Self Discovery Production Team, is an 87 minute high quality documentary and the only feature-length movie about the Florida Cracker Cattle Culture produced by a man raised in the culture, who grew up as a working cowboy on a ranch near Fort Pierce, Florida.
Filmed in high definition format, this movie portrays this formerly unrecognized aspect of the beautiful state's heritage - the real-life cattlemen and cowboys who are still working the land to this day.
Florida Crackers tells the story of this state's little-known cattle culture, which dates back to 1521, when Spanish explorer Ponce de Leon landed in Florida and introduced the first cattle and horses to North America, thus setting the stage for the first American cowboys and cattle industry to be born.
Florida Crackers was filmed on some of the biggest and oldest ranches in Florida. One, the Adams Ranch of Fort Pierce, famous for creating the Braford cattle breed, received the 1999 Ranch of the Century award from the National Cattleman's Beef Association.
Working with a small film crew and with minimal impact, with the Crackers telling their own story unscripted and in their own words, this movie creates an intimate style of documentary filming that is going to impact the film industry for years to come.
Filmed on several working ranches in Florida's pristine cattle country, and including some of Florida's best Cattlemen, Cowboys and Cowgirls, this one-of-a-kind film provides an exclusive inside view into the Florida Crackers lifestyle while also showcasing Florida's unique natural environment and wildlife.
A few of the prominent figures featured in the movie are: Mr. Bud Adams, the Carlton Family, "Alligator" Ron Bergeron, Ms. Iris Wall, Mr. Pete Clemons and former State Agriculture Commissioner, Charles Bronson.
For the first time ever, there are more people living in cities than in the country, and this movie has an important message that many people around the World are waiting to hear, about the core values of the Cracker Culture, who are true stewards of not just the land, but of a way of life, where integrity, courage, honesty and respect are normal.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...florida-cracker-cattle-culture-121520389.html

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Cracker-Floridas-Wood-Frame-Architecture/dp/156164014X

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

I don't like the double standard. if the white dude said something to the back guy, it'd make frontpage CNN news (look at the FIFA debacle).

This was on the front page of ESPN. CNN will probably run it if it gets any traction.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure there was a slew of unsavory things said on that football field, but who knew the "C-word" was still a racial slur that anyone used?

No, you can't use "the 'C-word'" to refer to cracker. Just write cracker. No one is offended by it. There is now, and always will be, only one "c-word" and that word is ****.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads