• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh the humanity

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean you DON'T button all five buttons on your suit coat?
devil.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You mean you DON'T button all five buttons on your suit coat?
devil.gif
Am I really such a geek for buttoning all the buttons on my suit. Isn't that what buttons are for? Purists may laugh at you. Fogies will mock you. But frankly, you're not entirely wrong. After all, that is what buttons are for. However, you don't always button the top button of your shirt, do you? There are an incredible variety of button closings available in single-breasted jackets (1-5 is not uncommon) and any buttoning arrangement is acceptable -- including closing all of them -- while you are in repose.

Rabbi Mark

Reaction score
Every single bar mitzvah I do, I have to tell the boys for their three-button suits (and for some reason it's always a three button suit) that the top is "sometimes," the middle is "always," and the bottom is "never." They seem to want to button all three and, well, it just looks stupid.

Some of them grumble in frustration, and their little brothers complain, too, but it's an important thing for their spiritual and moral development.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Good god - you actually linked this forum to the Men's Wearhouse? I know I don't always have the best taste, but this might actually be grounds for a banning. I'm afraid that my taste is going downhill just from reading those questions... "You're going to like the way you look" ----Arrrgggghhhh....

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Question What does "Black Tie Optional" really mean?

Answer A "Black Tie Optional" invitation confuses many. In fact, you should not wear a tuxedo to such and event unless you are a host, guest of honor, or particularly fond of formalwear. Most men will arrive in business attire"”dark suits and conservative shirt and tie combinations.

Oh dear.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How can such filth be available on the Internet while the government won't let me post the 10 Commandments in my courtroom?

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads