• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the horror!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I was wearing my RLPL Mackays in an attempt to break them in further. (See "My EGs are killing me" thread.) They were gradually becoming more comfortable, when disaster struck. I was a bit careless while walking down concrete steps, and placed my left shoe (the one that was killing me) a little too close to the back of the step. As I stepped down, I scratched the back of the shoe, about halfway up the heel. (First time this has ever happened -- I think this shoe is cursed!) Being a good SF member, I immediately went home and put some leather conditioner and polish on the offending part. The result was a half-inch black smudge -- a little better than an unsightly white scratch, but not by much.

Is there any way to buff this scratch out? If not, can you recommend a good covering dye? Or should I just accept this scratch as "patina"?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That is why you should only wear them on carpeted surfaces, for less than two hours at a time.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was not aware that EG's could be worn. I had assumed they were only for display on carpets or stove-tops.

But, seriously, my sympathies.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do seem to be cursed!

I think that shoe cream would be better than polish to restore the color as it contains more pigment.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are they black? If so, I don't see why there is a "smudge" appearance. If not, then you should use a cream first (as Alter points out) to color the area. Match it as closely as possible. Follow this with wax, if you normally use it. I've had similar scratches ($@#*&^!!!), and a single application of colored cream generally covers it up to the point that it's invisible to the casual glance. Good luck, and try tiptoeing lightly from now on!
smile.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
I was not aware that EG's could be worn. I had assumed they were only for display on carpets.

You don't like my carpet?
mad.gif
tounge.gif

AC, these seemed cursed. Perhaps an exorcism is in order?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
If they are 9s, I think the best solution is to get them out of the house entirely. I'll PM you my address. I can handle possessed shoes.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
You don't like my carpet?
mad.gif
tounge.gif

Love the carpet. I appreciate that you take it with you when you travel.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJMan
That is why you should only wear them on carpeted surfaces, for less than two hours at a time.
I have actually read somewhere that carpeted surfaces were a killer for leather soles, wearing them down much quicket than plain old concrete.

Much better to keep them in storage (even on display you have the risk of sun exposure and dust). In a safe preferably.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
Much better to keep them in storage (even on display you have the risk of sun exposure and dust). In a safe preferably.
Or on rugs of the finest woven catmere (French chatemire)...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Are they black? If so, I don't see why there is a "smudge" appearance. If not, then you should use a cream first (as Alter points out) to color the area. Match it as closely as possible. Follow this with wax, if you normally use it. I've had similar scratches ($@#*&^!!!), and a single application of colored cream generally covers it up to the point that it's invisible to the casual glance. Good luck, and try tiptoeing lightly from now on!
smile.gif

They are dark oak (EG's name for dark brown) -- a very faint silver lining. The smudge would be more noticeable on a lighter shoe.

It sounds like cream is the way to go. Many thanks for yours and Alter's advice.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
Maybe your insurance will cover the damage

I am planning to get a quote from my insurance company for when I get my first pair of Weymouth.I am thinking of a 250.00 deductible, keep the monthly costs down. Has anyone checked if C&J-installed ABS and alarms would help reduce the insurance costs?

laugh.gif

But seriously, I would not worry about the scratch; use some cream then wax them. Would only add character I think (unless it actually tore through the leather).

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
C...Mea Culpa (Dimitri) did a phenomenal job filling in a rather deep scratch in the heel counter of the EG Malverns that he refurbished for me. Perhaps if you shoot him a PM, he could help?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scratch the other one, then your babies will have matching birthmarks.
alien.gif

I know a good plastic surgeon who could do a flap procedure.
dozingoff.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads