Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Oh, the horror!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Yesterday, I was wearing my RLPL Mackays in an attempt to break them in further. (See "My EGs are killing me" thread.) They were gradually becoming more comfortable, when disaster struck. I was a bit careless while walking down concrete steps, and placed my left shoe (the one that was killing me) a little too close to the back of the step. As I stepped down, I scratched the back of the shoe, about halfway up the heel. (First time this has ever happened -- I think this shoe is cursed!) Being a good SF member, I immediately went home and put some leather conditioner and polish on the offending part. The result was a half-inch black smudge -- a little better than an unsightly white scratch, but not by much.

Is there any way to buff this scratch out? If not, can you recommend a good covering dye? Or should I just accept this scratch as "patina"?

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

That is why you should only wear them on carpeted surfaces, for less than two hours at a time.

3. marc237

marc237 Senior member

I was not aware that EG's could be worn. I had assumed they were only for display on carpets or stove-tops.

But, seriously, my sympathies.

4. Alter

Alter Senior member

They do seem to be cursed!

I think that shoe cream would be better than polish to restore the color as it contains more pigment.

5. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Are they black? If so, I don't see why there is a "smudge" appearance. If not, then you should use a cream first (as Alter points out) to color the area. Match it as closely as possible. Follow this with wax, if you normally use it. I've had similar scratches ([email protected]#*&^!!!), and a single application of colored cream generally covers it up to the point that it's invisible to the casual glance. Good luck, and try tiptoeing lightly from now on![​IMG]

6. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was not aware that EG's could be worn. I had assumed they were only for display on carpets.

You don't like my carpet?[​IMG] [​IMG]

AC, these seemed cursed. Perhaps an exorcism is in order?

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

If they are 9s, I think the best solution is to get them out of the house entirely. I'll PM you my address. I can handle possessed shoes.

8. marc237

marc237 Senior member

You don't like my carpet?[​IMG] [​IMG]

Love the carpet. I appreciate that you take it with you when you travel.

9. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

That is why you should only wear them on carpeted surfaces, for less than two hours at a time.
    I have actually read somewhere that carpeted surfaces were a killer for leather soles, wearing them down much quicket than plain old concrete.

Much better to keep them in storage (even on display you have the risk of sun exposure and dust). In a safe preferably.

10. visionology

visionology Senior member

Maybe your insurance will cover the damage

11. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Much better to keep them in storage (even on display you have the risk of sun exposure and dust). In a safe preferably.
    Or on rugs of the finest woven catmere (French chatemire)...

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Are they black? If so, I don't see why there is a "smudge" appearance. If not, then you should use a cream first (as Alter points out) to color the area. Match it as closely as possible. Follow this with wax, if you normally use it. I've had similar scratches ([email protected]#*&^!!!), and a single application of colored cream generally covers it up to the point that it's invisible to the casual glance. Good luck, and try tiptoeing lightly from now on![​IMG]
    They are dark oak (EG's name for dark brown) -- a very faint silver lining. The smudge would be more noticeable on a lighter shoe.

It sounds like cream is the way to go. Many thanks for yours and Alter's advice.

13. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Maybe your insurance will cover the damage

I am planning to get a quote from my insurance company for when I get my first pair of Weymouth.I am thinking of a 250.00 deductible, keep the monthly costs down. Has anyone checked if C&J-installed ABS and alarms would help reduce the insurance costs?

[​IMG]

But seriously, I would not worry about the scratch; use some cream then wax them. Would only add character I think (unless it actually tore through the leather).

14. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

C...Mea Culpa (Dimitri) did a phenomenal job filling in a rather deep scratch in the heel counter of the EG Malverns that he refurbished for me. Perhaps if you shoot him a PM, he could help?

15. Soph

Soph Senior member

Scratch the other one, then your babies will have matching birthmarks.[​IMG]

I know a good plastic surgeon who could do a flap procedure.[​IMG]