• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh the horror...the horror!!! (Black Tie Event)

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just at a black-tie wedding in Manhattan, groom and groomsmen all in white tie, all male guests in black tie as stated on invitation. Out of almost 200 guests, one of the male guests showed up in a tan suit. I honestly do not know how the poor guy didn't just drop dead from humiliation-his date was in a proper dress BTW. I'm sure if the guy had been in a dark, solid suit with a solid tie he might not have stood out so poorly-but it was just sad to see with the waiters dressed better than one of the guests. And this was not a crowd that rented their tuxes at Men's Wearhouse; I am sure I saw a majority of bespoke tuxes in the crowd and even saw a few guys in opera pumps with bows (I still don't have the guts to wear those I am afraid...)

Younger guys and men new to fashion reading this forum: Do not EVER be the only guy at a black tie event not in black tie! If you are invited to such an event and cannot afford to at least rent a tux-send your regrets and do not go!

CoryB

Reaction score
If your financial position doesn't allow you to rent formal wear you needn't dismiss going to an event, but I'd attempt to make myself inconspicious. If he were wearing a dark charcoal or black suit likely the person would have been only minimally noticed. I couldn't imagine having the gall though to show up wearing tan (especially as it was an evening event and it is past spring and summer)

Newton

Reaction score
Maybe he didn't read the invite!

He'll regret it, now.

He's probably shopping for a tux as we speak!

drax

Reaction score
Of floating in the hudson
musicboohoo[1].gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remembers me Peter Sellers in the movie "The Party"

masterfred

Reaction score
"The Party is groovy, and everyone loses control...."
Isn't that one of Blake Edwards' early farces? Too funny.
crackup[1].gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
im pretty sure there can be a myriad of reasons why this fellow showed up in a tan suit and his lady friend in proper dress.

one can be that he just may be a simpleton when it comes to these things or he disregarded the invite instructions and his lady did not sensibly warn him.

but what i think maybe there was maybe some timing issue or something that happened all of a sudden before he came or maybe he wasnt invited and then last minute got a call when coming from a plane, or whatever. you never know what legitimate story he may have as to why he was dressed like that.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah. let him be. he's humiliated enough being the not-so-nice standout in the event already. or he just doesnt care.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, maybe he just doesn't care. It's not like he showed up in flip flops either.

!luc

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter whether the guy in the tan suit cares or not. This isn't about breaking "rules" or demonstrating sartorial sophistication. It's about manners. To disregard the dress code listed in the invitation is disrespectful and rude.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it was a way to make an statement as "I am the outsider here"...

This is because I just saw yesterday on the BBC a debate about the UK stock market and there were several financial consultants, all of them wearing conservative ( blue or gray ) suits with french cuff shirts and some with braces, and there was this guy a young hedge fund consultant that was making avant-garde statements... he was dressed in an unconstructed cotton khaki suit...

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
It doesn't matter whether the guy in the tan suit cares or not. This isn't about breaking "rules" or demonstrating sartorial sophistication. It's about manners. To disregard the dress code listed in the invitation is disrespectful and rude.

AGREED!

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who was the invitation directed towards? Perhaps his date got the invite and brought him along without telling him what to wear.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
or MAYBE he was on styleforum too much, and never ever got to get a black suit...

jeebus

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads