• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh no the Darkside looms!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Life is full of unpleasant surprises but out of the ashes comes a new day. So your friendly neighborhood webmaster is abandoning the construction trade and will be falling back on something I did a long time ago. The thing is I'll need to dress a bit more "proper". I really hate that term but it's a necessity thing or something like that. So I'm gonna have to abandon the Carhartt, Lee, Levis I'm gonna go frame your house or kill a deer or two look for what's called "business casual". Yeah that's another one of those terms I hate because who defined it anyway? My version of business casual is exactly what I wear right now.

So here's some stuff I'm gonna get for this trip to the Darkside.

I know, I know resist the force of the Darkside Luke.

Where are my Ariats?

I got some of these.

I wear these too so maybe there's hope!

Oh no not this too!

Hmmmm gutting a deer in these would not be good.

As you can see one foot is over the edge.......

I'm drifting between the netherworld of Street wear and Men's wear.

Anyway, all joking aside what do the resident gurus have to say about my starting point into a more professional looking wardrobe?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the climate like where you live? Also, what is your body type?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
What is the climate like where you live? Also, what is your body type?

Winter time it can get cold but most of the time it is moderate with temps in the 30s being normal. Spring and Fall the temps are mild but the Summer gets hot. Body measurements are 42 chest 31 32 waist about 5' 9" in height weight 150 to 160 depending on season.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basic:

1. At least 2 pairs of good, comfortable leather shoes, belts & cedar trees
2. Flat front wool pants from lightweight to 3 season flannel (basic colors)
3. Shirts that can be dressed up or down, all long sleeved (basic colors)
4. A sports coat or two or three (once you have the color of the pants down)
5. Accessories: ties, squares, socks in the shades of your pants (basic colors)

Advanced:

1. Add 2-3 more pairs of shoes
2. Add cords, moleskins, linens, cotton blends, more wool pants
3. Add 2-3 french cuff shirts & more "adventurously" colored shirts/patterns
4. Buy 2 suits
5. Accessories: get adventurous

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ties are out of the question. The business I'm involving myself in again is armed protective services and a tie is nothing more than a fancy garrot.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, then you need like 3 suits straightaway.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suits are good but they would be better in the cooler seasons hence my initial starting point with the business casual look. I can dress down for the heat and still pull off a concealed carry and look presentable.

Doc, most of the stuff I'm looking at at BB will mix with my other clothing. Suits are another matter as that would require a complete makeover which looks like something that will take some time to pull off.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some folks think I am a secret agent or something because at some point everyday I wear jeans/cargo pants, a black hoodie, black Carhartt Jacket & Vasque Gore-tex boots. But they always see my buying suits & "hard bottom" shoes.

The thing is, you can still be you, just transform when the need arises. But make it a transformation. The polos, chinos & AE shoes say, "I'm just wearing this because I have to". You can look average doing your job or you can look great, just get your jackets a size larger to prevent the bulge unless you're planning on carrying a 380p.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I did it now. I went to BB and bought a slim fit 1818 shirt and a pair of Clark fit Chinos. I do have to say I could easily get used to how these clothes fit and it certainly is a step up from my well dressed construction guy look. Of course I'm wearing my ol' trusty Ariat ropers and everyday brown belt so my trip to the Darkside is not complete........ yet. LOL.

The staff at BB was very helpful and good at their job. I tried on several things including a suit (shudder) and now all my sizes are in the computer which is nice for future reference.

The pics sorta suck but they'll have to do until I decide to setup the big camera and take some shots.

BB.jpg

BB2.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Crane's.

That shirt is at least 1/2 a size too big in the neck, and too long in the sleeves. A bit blousy, i think RL polo custom fit would look better, sized correctly.

Good luck with the new job!

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
You'll be badass in whatever you wear.

- B

True, although the Mickey Mouse menagerie in the background softens that a bit.

The BB looks good, but I think SG is probably right on sizing, although you'll get some shrinkage if you dry it.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was scared into not even noticing the MM display.....Job Well done!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed the shirt was a little large in the neck and long in the sleeve. This particular shirt was sized small, medium, large and so on. From what I gather they also size by neck and sleeve measurements too or you can have shirts completely custom made. In any case this shirt fits way way better than most of my button down shirts and with a little luck the washing machine will work it's magic and it'll all be good.

LOL at the Mickey parade in the background. What can I say I am at someone else's house and she likes Mickey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics