• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok not very helpful. Suggestions for tie for dark grey suit, wedding color is purple. The tie must have purple and dark grey or white (to match some aspect of anything else I'm wearing). Dont need an exact tie jsut wehat too look for. 
You won't find any love for matchy-matchy neckwear in this forum (or the entire website). Purple is not something most of us can in good conscience advise if "classic" is the look you're after... and if it isn't, I'm afraid you're looking in the wrong place for approval.

JohnShrike

Reaction score
You won't find any love for matchy-matchy neckwear in this forum (or the entire website). Purple is not something most of us can in good conscience advise if "classic" is the look you're after... and if it isn't, I'm afraid you're looking in the wrong place for approval.
Was kinda looking for more "Style" advice rather than "classic men's fashion" but all wedding questions get moved into this thread so here I am. =P

HughJ

Reaction score

Ok not very helpful. Suggestions for tie for dark grey suit, wedding color is purple. The tie must have purple and dark grey or white (to match some aspect of anything else I'm wearing). Dont need an exact tie jsut wehat too look for. 

What happens if it's not purple? You are getting solid advice here - those ties are frankly awful. Sorry.

I could swear one of the affiliates stocked a purple and white shepherd's check, but I can't find it now. Vanda has one pictured in their swatches - you may want to drop them a line. I'm pretty sure I've seen a RLPL purple on grey glen plaid somewhere too. Good luck and congrats.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was kinda looking for more "Style" advice rather than "classic men's fashion" but all wedding questions get moved into this thread so here I am. =P

Purple is not really a wedding colour. In Naples is seen as a grieving/funeral colour for example (the brides would have a fit if female guest turned up with a purple dress).
If you must, really, wear a purple accent, I think this is really how far you should go :

Source: Turnbull & Asser : http://www.turnbullandasser.co.uk/l...pyBLLVPhelm_67jXV2IF3imSsfwFxfp2LcaAnI-8P8HAQ

However, I would really recommend that you went for a three piece suit, black plain Oxford captoe, a silver based tie, and probably a purple flower in the boutonnière

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay. If the wedding color is purple and you must wear purple, the world won't end even if it's not the most elegant or classic choice (but you already know that). The houndstooth tie that Marco posted is a decent alternative. Otherwise I would go with a solid colored purple tie (I'd go light or dark, I don't care for the middle ground in purple) if you are rejecting the silver/grey advice. I don't see why you need the tie to have some other color to match other clothes you are wearing. If you need white in the outfit, you can get it from your shirt and from a white linen pocket square.

http://www.samhober.com/diamond-weave-silk-ties/ (10 or 11)
http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-grossa-solid-silk-ties/ (32 or 34)

The ties you posted are pretty ugly IMO. Not trying to be a jerk; just being blunt in how I see things.

JohnShrike

Reaction score
However, I would really recommend that you went for a three piece suit, black plain Oxford captoe, a silver based tie, and probably a purple flower in the boutonnière

Why captoe and not plain toe oxford, isn't cap-toe for more casual situations?

Also, three piece would've been nice, but the wedding is in august I wont be able to keep the jacket on if I also add the vest. (If you look back 5 or 6 pages; posters on this sight have veered me away from wearing vests, or having my groomsmen wear vests).

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, three piece would've been nice, but the wedding is in august I wont be able to keep the jacket on if I also add the vest. (If you look back 5 or 6 pages; posters on this sight have veered me away from wearing vests, or having my groomsmen wear vests).

Plain toe oxfords are fine if you have them, but cap toes are perfectly appropriate and traditional for daytime weddings involving suits. I have plain toe oxfords, but only use them for black tie.

JohnShrike

Reaction score
Okay. If the wedding color is purple and you must wear purple, the world won't end even if it's not the most elegant or classic choice (but you already know that). The houndstooth tie that Marco posted is a decent alternative. Otherwise I would go with a solid colored purple tie (I'd go light or dark, I don't care for the middle ground in purple) if you are rejecting the silver/grey advice. I don't see why you need the tie to have some other color to match other clothes you are wearing. If you need white in the outfit, you can get it from your shirt and from a white linen pocket square.

http://www.samhober.com/diamond-weave-silk-ties/ (10 or 11)
http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-grossa-solid-silk-ties/ (32 or 34)

The ties you posted are pretty ugly IMO. Not trying to be a jerk; just being blunt in how I see things.
Thanks for the links, and yeah I know the ties I posted would not go well on here, maybe I was being a bit of a troll afte my conservative choice got shot down so unconditionally.

kaffenons

Reaction score
Hi

I'm a 34 year old Norwegian, and I'm getting married in August. I'm not a clothing expert, but I try to learn more about it. Today I went to get my clothes for the wedding, and here is how it turned out:
I wanted a morning suit, witch they had. But it was a bad fit, and made of polyester, so I discarded that.
Then I went for a tuxedo, navy blue with shawl collar. This was in 100% wool, and the jacket fitted without any need for alterations. The pants need to be taken in, but that's not a problem, so I bought it and I'm getting it in 14 days. I also bought a white shirt with pleated front and wing collar.

So then I thought that this was it, tuxedo with a bow tie. But the lady in the shop presented me an option that I could have a west and a cravat (the ones you wear with a morning suit). I thought maybe this would be what you call faux pas, but the lady said it was very stylish. And I must admit that I thought it looked good, very wedding style if you know what I mean. I also like the idea of changing to a bow tie for the evening party, to get another appearance. So I bought that too.

Now I'm starting to doubt mixing elements into the tuxedo, and I would like some advise on what to do. The wedding starts at daytime, that's why I wanted a morning suit. I also didn't get any west for the tuxedo, I got to confused to think about it. So do you have any advise, how should I do this?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi

I'm a 34 year old Norwegian, and I'm getting married in August. I'm not a clothing expert, but I try to learn more about it. Today I went to get my clothes for the wedding, and here is how it turned out:
I wanted a morning suit, witch they had. But it was a bad fit, and made of polyester, so I discarded that.
Then I went for a tuxedo, navy blue with shawl collar. This was in 100% wool, and the jacket fitted without any need for alterations. The pants need to be taken in, but that's not a problem, so I bought it and I'm getting it in 14 days. I also bought a white shirt with pleated front and wing collar. 

So then I thought that this was it, tuxedo with a bow tie. But the lady in the shop presented me an option that I could have a west and a cravat (the ones you wear with a morning suit). I thought maybe this would be what you call faux pas, but the lady said it was very stylish. And I must admit that I thought it looked good, very wedding style if you know what I mean. I also like the idea of changing to a bow tie for the evening party, to get another appearance. So I bought that too.

Now I'm starting to doubt mixing elements into the tuxedo, and I would like some advise on what to do. The wedding starts at daytime, that's why I wanted a morning suit. I also didn't get any west for the tuxedo, I got to confused to think about it. So do you have any advise, how should I do this?

Hi and congratulations on the upcoming marriage. A tuxedo should be worn only in the evening. You can argue for a bit of an exception if the wedding starts very late in the day and the vast majority of the festivities are after 6:00PM, but I wouldn't really stretch it too much. A shawl collar tuxedo should take a bow tie and a cummerbund (a vest can be okay but I think a vest is slightly better for a peak lapel tuxedo). If you want to wear a cravat, do so with a morning coat. Mixing and matching elements between different types of formal attire is a mistake. If you are going to change, change your entire outfit (i.e. wear a suit or morning coat for the wedding and the dinner jacket for the reception).

If we're really being pendantic, I'd return the wing collar shirt and get a tuxedo shirt with a regular spread turndown collar. The wing collar is pretty much a white tie and maybe black tie with peak lapel look. But that's a lot less of an issue than wearing a cravat with a tuxedo.

kaffenons

Reaction score
Hi and congratulations on the upcoming marriage. A tuxedo should be worn only in the evening. You can argue for a bit of an exception if the wedding starts very late in the day and the vast majority of the festivities are after 6:00PM, but I wouldn't really stretch it too much. A shawl collar tuxedo should take a bow tie and a cummerbund (a vest can be okay but I think a vest is slightly better for a peak lapel tuxedo). If you want to wear a cravat, do so with a morning coat. Mixing and matching elements between different types of formal attire is a mistake. If you are going to change, change your entire outfit (i.e. wear a suit or morning coat for the wedding and the dinner jacket for the reception).

If we're really being pendantic, I'd return the wing collar shirt and get a tuxedo shirt with a regular spread turndown collar. The wing collar is pretty much a white tie and maybe black tie with peak lapel look. But that's a lot less of an issue than wearing a cravat with a tuxedo.

Hehe, that's what I thought. Thanx for the advice. I've been reading a lot about this, so I should know better, but I guess I'm too easy to convince. So I guess I have two options (since a polyester morning suit isn't an option), either buy a suit, and have a suit in the daytime wedding ceremony, and a tuxedo in the evening party. Or try to have them take the tuxedo back and buy a suit that I wear the whole day.

Does anyone have an option on what colour the suit should be? If I have a navy tuxedo, should I then have a grey/charcoal suit to make it different from the navy tuxedo? How should I style it? I have a wedding tie from Sam Hober and a white pocket square.

And I must mention that I've seen many celebrities here in Norway who wear tuxedo in daytime weddings, only the royal family does pull it off correctly. The wedding is in Kenya by the way, but I guess it would go under the radar there too. But I guess the main advise here is to get a suit anyway, and also that wearing a tuxedo at the wrong time is the lesser evil compared to mixing in another attire into the tuxedo. I would hate to be embarrassed of my wedding picture in 1 or 10 years from now.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Hopefully the tuxedo is midnight blue versus navy, but that's an issue for another time. I'd say don't worry about whether the suit and tuxedo are in the same color family if you decide to wear both. The suit, white shirt and wedding tie will look sufficiently different from the tuxedo, white shirt with studs and black bow tie regardless.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the links, and yeah I know the ties I posted would not go well on here, maybe I was being a bit of a troll afte my conservative choice got shot down so unconditionally.

One of those dark purple Sam Hober ties would be an excellent way to go. You'd have a beautiful tie to go to for years to come and will always look nice.
The flower advice was also spot on. Get a simple purple flower to put in your lapel. You'll look stylish and dashing, and isn't that what we all want? :D

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The wedding is in Kenya by the way, but I guess it would go under the radar there too. But I guess the main advise here is to get a suit anyway, and also that wearing a tuxedo at the wrong time is the lesser evil compared to mixing in another attire into the tuxedo.

There is no reason you shouldn't have a grey suit in your wardrobe anyway, so if you haven't got one yet, now is a perfect time to get it. Wear the suit in the daytime, and change into your tux for the evening. Both a grey suit and tuxedo/dinner jacket/smoking will serve you for years to come.

What time does the ceremony begin?

Last edited:

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cap toe Oxfords are the most formal shoes aside of being worn with dinner cloths.

I see people getting married in South Italy in three pieces all the time, May to September when temperatures can be often 27-30 degree Celsius. The whole suit needs to be of appropriate weight, than the waistcoat should not make a difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads