• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

topos

Reaction score
Looks like glen plaid is the way to for a wedding tie.

I haven't heard anyone mention shepherd's check or houndstooth in awhile as equally good options. I actually like shepherd's check the best between these and the glen plaid.

ellsbebc

Reaction score

I haven't heard anyone mention shepherd's check or houndstooth in awhile as equally good options. I actually like shepherd's check the best between these and the glen plaid. 

I purchased one each (POW, shepherds check, houndstooth) from Kent Wang. Had two groomsmen in the wedding so I picked the POW out if the bunch and they argued over the others. FWIW, I dig houndstooth pattern but I preferred the check over Kent's houndstooth -- the houndstooth pattern is very small while the check is more noticeable pattern.

topos

Reaction score
I purchased one each (POW, shepherds check, houndstooth) from Kent Wang. Had two groomsmen in the wedding so I picked the POW out if the bunch and they argued over the others. FWIW, I dig houndstooth pattern but I preferred the check over Kent's houndstooth -- the houndstooth pattern is very small while the check is more noticeable pattern.
I agree about the KW houndstooth being too small. I also prefer something more on the scale of his shepherd's check. Sam Hober has one that looks to be about the right scale. But even beyond these three ties there are plenty of ties in the silver family, if we just restrict to that, that make great wedding ties. I'm starting to think there's a glen plaid gestapo when reading this thread of late.

johnnyletrois

Reaction score
I had bought a BB Black Fleece glen plaid to wear at my wedding, but it was borderline too skinny. It was a last minute decision to go with the J. Press burgundy, but I'm glad I did.

Last edited:

ellsbebc

Reaction score

I agree about the KW houndstooth being too small. I also prefer something more on the scale of his shepherd's check. Sam Hober has one that looks to be about the right scale. But even beyond these three ties there are plenty of ties in the silver family, if we just restrict to that, that make great wedding ties. I'm starting to think there's a glen plaid gestapo when reading this thread of late.

Those three patterns are quite popular in the community but rightfully so IMO; it's not like they are running amuck in society. I prefer the POW for its pattern. When I think other silver family ties appropriate for very formal occasions, I immediately think of plain ties, and when paired with a solid suit and white shirt, I reach for a patterned tie.

thromb

Reaction score
The wedding I'm attending would lean toward the casual side but not too far over. I like the Vanda and particularly because they can do Chinese character monograms! But the wedding is just under two weeks ago and afraid it wouldnt make it to the states in time.

Glad that shepherd check was brought up. I'm also looking at black or possibly red check. I plan on wearing a high blue navy suit along with a white shirt. pretty standard wedding guest attire.

May I should get the glen check and a shepherds

ellsbebc

Reaction score
The wedding I'm attending would lean toward the casual side but not too far over. I like the Vanda and particularly because they can do Chinese character monograms! But the wedding is just under two weeks ago and afraid it wouldnt make it to the states in time.

Glad that shepherd check was brought up. I'm also looking at black or possibly red check. I plan on wearing a high blue navy suit along with a white shirt. pretty standard wedding guest attire.

May I should get the glen check and a shepherds
Not trying to pimp Kent Wang but they are the only affiliate vendor I know that could have a shipment arrive to you in that small time frame. Maybe if Yellow Hook Neck Tie has something in stock? Anything in the grey/silver family will pair well with what your ensemble.

thromb

Reaction score

Not trying to pimp Kent Wang but they are the only affiliate vendor I know that could have a shipment arrive to you in that small time frame.  Maybe if Yellow Hook Neck Tie has something in stock?  Anything in the grey/silver family will pair well with what your ensemble.

I've ordered from Kent Wang and Epaulet before so there's no issue with them arriving within 2 weeks. In fact Kent's stuff tends to get to me in 2-3 days since I live in Houston. I like the Vanda option because of the custom monogramming and the good looking tie but shipping time is a concern.

In the end I'll probably get 2 of the 3 ties below to keep my options open.

Epaulet

KW

Last edited:

ovlov

Reaction score
@thromb if you like Vanda drop them a line. They can do express shipping which gets there in about 3/4 days I think. I think I had about 2 weeks notice for mine and was able to get them to do a custom order for me and it arrived in time. Gshen is usually fiery helpful if you have a deadline for an important occasion. Getting it monogrammed as well might be tough though, but it doesn't hurt to ask

facet

Reaction score
Two unrelated questions:

1. Which buff vest do you think looks better with my suit (navy)? As an aside, while I really like the idea of wearing a vest with my suit, I'm also open to the idea of forgoing it altogether if it looks better without it. For context, my wedding will be an afternoon one in a couple weeks.

DB, peak label:

Here's the actual vest if that helps:

SB:

Just vest:

On the second question, one of my groomsmen asked if it would be acceptable for him to wear a pair of burgundy shoes with his suit. Even though myself and the other groomsman will be wearing black, my first inclination is to say yes as it's probably his best pair and they're wearing their own clothes anyways. It's a minor thing but thought I could solicit opinions on that point.

Thanks

btulls

Reaction score
thoughts on either of these coats that my hand is touching for a wedding? I'm looking for something blue for the summer. Possibly tan, but I don't think so.

I plan on wearing stone or cream pants and a light shirt. No tie.

Last edited:

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely the first vest...but keep the jacket unbuttoned to show it off!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Two unrelated questions:

1. Which buff vest do you think looks better with my suit (navy)? As an aside, while I really like the idea of wearing a vest with my suit, I'm also open to the idea of forgoing it altogether if it looks better without it. For context, my wedding will be an afternoon one in a couple weeks.

DB, peak label:

Here's the actual vest if that helps:

SB:

Just vest:

On the second question, one of my groomsmen asked if it would be acceptable for him to wear a pair of burgundy shoes with his suit. Even though myself and the other groomsman will be wearing black, my first inclination is to say yes as it's probably his best pair and they're wearing their own clothes anyways. It's a minor thing but thought I could solicit opinions on that point.

Thanks

Your shirtsleeves look short. No cuff showing...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads